Vigilance

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Vigilance

[/img][/url]

Last edited by larbud; 11-24-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I worked at golf courses for most of my life. We would occasionally have problems with Kanada geese and have to call animal control to help us out with different issues.

One of the things I learned from these people is that when Kanada geese are eating, one member of the flock will have his head up watching over the rest of them. When his head goes down to eat, another head will pop up. It is an amazing phenomenon to watch. I've watched it hundreds of times and I have no idea how the one whose head comes up knows that it's his turn. All of the others seem to know as well because they just keep eating.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I worked at golf courses for most of my life. We would occasionally have problems with Kanada geese and have to call animal control to help us out with different issues.

One of the things I learned from these people is that when Kanada geese are eating, one member of the flock will have his head up watching over the rest of them. When his head goes down to eat, another head will pop up. It is an amazing phenomenon to watch. I've watched it hundreds of times and I have no idea how the one whose head comes up knows that it's his turn. All of the others seem to know as well because they just keep eating.
Whut? Those are Egret Parents with Child being ever Vigilant.. They have already lost one or two babies to predators either as eggs or hatchlings..

Last edited by larbud; 11-14-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 PM
Sage

Love the photo.
Maybe Winston was relating an experience with a different bird that the egret bird pic reminded him of....
Closed Thread

Tags
vigilance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.