Can anyone recommend a plumber with a detector tool, to find a leak

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2022, 08:56 AM

Make sure a toilet isn't running part of the time. Problem may be in irrigation system.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by star20166@yahoo.com View Post
PS to my gasket reply. FYI Mike Scott Plumbing quoted $112.00 to fix my toilet leak. You can do it on your own.
It's amazing how many people in The Villages will pay $112 for a $8 part and maybe 2-5 minutes of labor.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:49 AM
Default Leak repair

All good replies. For what it is worth, I had a slow leak under the concrete pad for 3-4 months with pronounced wet spots in the yard. Plumbers all indicated they could check the standard internal leakage points but had limited capabilities beyond that. Contacted a leak detection service. Paid $1500 for 1 hour of detection services. Ouch! The detector nailed the leak within 4 inches in the middle of my kitchen floor. It was 18-24 inches under the pad. After removing tile, digging down, fixing the leak-all is well. Yes, it is a last option but well worth the money to keep in mind. Good Luck!
Old 09-20-2022, 10:50 AM

A neighbor told me about the vinegar once a month. We had to have the blower motor replaced last week and the service guy told me about the gallon of hot water applied after the vinegar trick. He said the vinegar killed the algae but you needed to flush it out of the pipes with the hot water as well.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissabear View Post
All good replies. For what it is worth, I had a slow leak under the concrete pad for 3-4 months with pronounced wet spots in the yard. Plumbers all indicated they could check the standard internal leakage points but had limited capabilities beyond that. Contacted a leak detection service. Paid $1500 for 1 hour of detection services. Ouch! The detector nailed the leak within 4 inches in the middle of my kitchen floor. It was 18-24 inches under the pad. After removing tile, digging down, fixing the leak-all is well. Yes, it is a last option but well worth the money to keep in mind. Good Luck!
Did you file a homeowner's insurance claim? I think the cost to locate the leak, and to remove and replace the concrete and flooring would most likely be covered. The only part that would not be covered would be the cost to actually repair the leak.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Did you file a homeowner's insurance claim? I think the cost to locate the leak, and to remove and replace the concrete and flooring would most likely be covered. The only part that would not be covered would be the cost to actually repair the leak.
They pay to find the leak but not to fix it? Wow.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They pay to find the leak but not to fix it? Wow.
It depends. Typically, insurance will cover a sudden leak, but will not cover a slow leak, but it is a gray area. I have found that insurance adjusters are often pretty generous when evaluating these types of claims. A friend of mine got a check for $5,000 to replace inexpensive vinyl flooring in the kitchen and to paint the walls, even though the leak had been going on unnoticed for some time. If you need to tear out the floor or walls to access and repair a leak, they will pay for the tearout work to locate a leak, water damage, and for the replacement work. But, they will not pay for the plumbing work required to actually fix the leak. At least that has been my experience over the years. If you suspect you have a leak, I would highly recommend contacting your insurance company before doing anything.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
It depends. Typically, insurance will cover a sudden leak, but will not cover a slow leak, but it is a gray area. I have found that insurance adjusters are often pretty generous when evaluating these types of claims. A friend of mine got a check for $5,000 to replace inexpensive vinyl flooring in the kitchen and to paint the walls, even though the leak had been going on unnoticed for some time. If you need to tear out the floor or walls to access and repair a leak, they will pay for the tearout work to locate a leak, water damage, and for the replacement work. But, they will not pay for the plumbing work required to actually fix the leak. At least that has been my experience over the years. If you suspect you have a leak, I would highly recommend contacting your insurance company before doing anything.
Interesting.

However unless the damage is well into the thousands would be very hesitant making an insurance claim. Heard to many stories of a claim or two and bye bye homeowner insurance
Old 09-20-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Interesting.

However unless the damage is well into the thousands would be very hesitant making an insurance claim. Heard to many stories of a claim or two and bye bye homeowner insurance
Or a huge increase in your premium at renewal time. For this reason my husband won’t file any claims with our homeowners insurance unless catastrophic.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:01 PM
Sage

Personally, I don't think that a homeowner's insurance claim is as sensitive to a cancellation or premium increase as an auto insurance claim. I would not hesitate to file a valid homeowner'a claim. Why have insurance if you are not going to use it?
Old 09-20-2022, 09:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that a homeowner's insurance claim is as sensitive to a cancellation or premium increase as an auto insurance claim. I would not hesitate to file a valid homeowner'a claim. Why have insurance if you are not going to use it?
For catastrophes only.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:57 AM
Default Pipe leaking under your foundation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissabear View Post
Pipe leaking under your foundation?? How old is your house?? Are all the homes designed this way?? Looking at the way the main shut off valve is piped in the garage wall and the water heater in the garage pipes come out the wall I thought mayne the water lines go through the walls / attic ?? Can anyone answer some of these questions?

I know the water lines are PVC??
Old 09-21-2022, 05:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Pipe leaking under your foundation?? How old is your house?? Are all the homes designed this way?? Looking at the way the main shut off valve is piped in the garage wall and the water heater in the garage pipes come out the wall I thought mayne the water lines go through the walls / attic ?? Can anyone answer some of these questions?

The water pipes are plastic, and they are buried under the concrete slab. There are no water pipes in the attic.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:49 AM

Your still not referencing “the little something “??
It might be a help to all of us.
Please share.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post

True story. I lived in Savannah, GA in the 1980's. Some of the older houses had water pipes in the attic. A fellow worker went on a long vacation over Christmas, when the temperature dropped to 3 degrees. A pipe froze in the attic and flooded his house for at least 2 weeks. The entire house was destroyed. Not likely to happen in Florida, but it is possible.
Closed Thread

Tags
leak, meter, plumber, house, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.