Can anyone recommend a plumber with a detector tool, to find a leak

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2022, 02:59 PM
Default Can anyone recommend a plumber with a detector tool, to find a leak

The water portion of my amenity bill went up very high. I had meter reader out to check the meter. I was told the meter, showed water was running while l was outside talking with him. And it is showing usage. I told him nobody was in my house, so there is something wrong. He then said l have a leak. I checked inside my house and outside, no leak was found. Need recommendation please, for a plumber with a Detector to find a leak. I do not have grass, stones in front of my house. No trees. I need a good plumber, honest. not a rip off one. Thank you
Judy
Old 09-19-2022, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

///

Last edited by bagboy; 09-19-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanrt View Post
The water portion of my amenity bill went up very high. I had meter reader out to check the meter. I was told the meter, showed water was running while l was outside talking with him. And it is showing usage. I told him nobody was in my house, so there is something wrong. He then said l have a leak. I checked inside my house and outside, no leak was found. Need recommendation please, for a plumber with a Detector to find a leak. I do not have grass, stones in front of my house. No trees. I need a good plumber, honest. not a rip off one. Thank you
Judy
Close the water shut off valve inside your house. It may be inside a wall at the rear of your garage, or just outside the house. Then, if the meter is still running, the leak is located between the meter and your house. Otherwise, the leak is inside your house. If the leak is inside, close the toilet shut off valves and see if that stops the meter from running. Most leaks inside the house are caused by a leaking toilet. The red food coloring may work, but some toilet leaks are intermittent. If the leak is outside, check for wet areas in your yard.

Mike Scott Plumbing or any licensed plumber should be able to locate the leak.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-19-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Sleuth leak detection service 800 329 5325 not cheap but knows how to locate the leak
Old 09-19-2022, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sleuth leak detection service 800 329 5325 not cheap but knows how to locate the leak
Good to know. But, for me, this would be a last resort. Any plumber worth his salt will find the leak in 5 minutes.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Good to know. But, for me, this would be a last resort. Any plumber worth his salt will find the leak in 5 minutes.
Actually let me tell you how we came to call Sleuth.

Had what we thought was a leak in our shower. Called Mike Scott who told me to call Sleuth so they would know exactly where to find the leak and not tear up more of our shower than necessary.

Turned out we did not exactly have a leak but learned that there was a little something I should be doing regarding our HVAC system. An expensive lesson was learned that day.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Actually let me tell you how we came to call Sleuth.

Turned out we did not exactly have a leak but learned that there was a little something I should be doing regarding our HVAC system. An expensive lesson was learned that day.
So guessing you want to withhold the “little something I should be doing regarding our HVAC system”

Did you not use vinegar down the pipe once a month on your system, or was it a something that everyone should need an expensive lesson learned, instead of sharing an easy fix
Old 09-20-2022, 04:28 AM

One of your toilets likely has a slow leak at the base of the flush valve. It may be an almost silent leak. Change out the yellow gasket, Kohler # GP1059291. Available at Ace Hardware in Wildwood for a few dollars. Consider swapping out this gasket on all your toilets at the same time, like changing smoke alarm batteries. Minimal skill required.

I had the same issue with a huge fresh water leak somewhere and a nice lady at our water service (CSU) told me about the likely leaky gasket. She was right on the money.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:31 AM

PS to my gasket reply. FYI Mike Scott Plumbing quoted $112.00 to fix my toilet leak. You can do it on your own.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:16 AM
Veteran member

Has you or your neighbor have any heavy equipment on the side of the houses. Could be the line between the meter and your house. That could be why your not seeing anything in your home. Let us know what you find
Old 09-20-2022, 05:39 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Myself being a retired master plumber would check all your toilets for water running into the bowl when not in use by pouring colored food dye into the tank when not in use and checking the bowl after a number of hours to see if the dye is in the bowl. For more info e-mail me at joelfmi@aol.com.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
So guessing you want to withhold the “little something I should be doing regarding our HVAC system”

Did you not use vinegar down the pipe once a month on your system, or was it a something that everyone should need an expensive lesson learned, instead of sharing an easy fix
We were not putting vinegar down the pipe.

Actually Munns guy few weeks ago said not to put down vinegar but hot water is much better and will not damage the pipes.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:23 AM
Default Water leak detection

We used the Sleuth detection co. They found our leak behind the wall in our bathroom and under the slab below the stove- more than one.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:44 AM
Default Check your toilets. Jiggle the flush handle as water could be leaking through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanrt View Post
Judy
Check your toilets
Old 09-20-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star20166@yahoo.com View Post
One of your toilets likely has a slow leak at the base of the flush valve. It may be an almost silent leak. Change out the yellow gasket, Kohler # GP1059291. Available at Ace Hardware in Wildwood for a few dollars. Consider swapping out this gasket on all your toilets at the same time, like changing smoke alarm batteries. Minimal skill required.

I had the same issue with a huge fresh water leak somewhere and a nice lady at our water service (CSU) told me about the likely leaky gasket. She was right on the money.

Hope this helps.

This Kohler part is also available at Lowes in Wildwood for $7.88.
Closed Thread

Tags
leak, meter, plumber, house, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.