How long before you should add a finish to concrete floor in lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Default How long before you should add a finish to concrete floor in lanai?

My wife and I recently bought a brand new house in The Villages. The floor in the lanai is just raw concrete and not so attractive. We'd like to put a nice finish on it and have gone as far as getting bids from some providers recommended by members of TOTV. A friend, who is NO expert on concrete and doesn't pretend to be, brought up the idea she'd heard that you should really let concrete cure very thoroughly before putting on a finish and that "very thoroughly" can actually mean "several years".

Has anybody heard if there's any truth in this? Have you had a finish put on your new concrete and later regretted it because of something to do with incomplete curing?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

We are putting in a birdcage, I called Driveways by Jay (does excellent work) and asked him about doing the birdcage like he did our driveway. I told me the "aging" would be one month, then it could be coated.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Platinum member

Can tell you that concrete does not take "several years" to cure. If it did it would really slow most home building down.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Sage

Concrete takes 28 days to cure 100% It is a specific chemical reaction when the portland cement is hydrated ( mixed with water). It doesn't matter whether you pour a patio slab, or dump it in the lake. 28 days later it is 100 % cured.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Platinum member
Default Accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Concrete takes 28 days to cure 100% It is a specific chemical reaction when the portland cement is hydrated ( mixed with water). It doesn't matter whether you pour a patio slab, or dump it in the lake. 28 days later it is 100 % cured.
The portland cement google results say it gains most of it's strngth the first seven days.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Well, since the house is at least a few months to go, it sounds like the lanai is more than ready to be finished. Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies!
Closed Thread

Tags
concrete, finish, put, floor, lanai, heard, putting, cure, years, curing, incomplete, advance, replies, helpful, truth, idea, regretted, recommended, raw, villages, attractive, house, brand, add, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.