Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   NFL Football (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nfl-football-328/)
-   -   Colin Kaepernick as a Patriot or Panther. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nfl-football-328/colin-kaepernick-patriot-panther-285137/)

Taltarzac725 02-17-2019 01:08 PM

Colin Kaepernick as a Patriot or Panther.

Attorney for Colin Kaepernick sees Panthers, Patriots as potential landing spots for QB

Now this would be an interesting turn of events. Fellow University of Nevada, Reno grad Kaepernick has admittedly done some bone-headed things on and of the football field but does deserve to play if he can pass the try-outs for these teams.

manaboutown 02-17-2019 01:18 PM

The clown is no patriot, that is for sure, regardless of the name of the team he joins. I had hoped we had seen the last of him and his ilk.

Kenswing 02-17-2019 01:20 PM

He hasn't played since 2016. In the last two seasons that he did play his team went something like 3-20. He's just not that good.

And what team wants the media circus that will come with him?

Rapscallion St Croix 02-17-2019 01:40 PM

Every game he plays should be officiated by the Saints/Rams crew. "There was no roughing the QB on that play."

Taltarzac725 02-17-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1625579)
Every game he plays should be officiated by the Saints/Rams crew. "There was no roughing the QB on that play."

I certainly hear where you are coming from but since I have a lot of African American and Jamaican American relatives through my late younger brother-- racial identity is imposed by many factors-- I also see where Kaepernick is coming from. There are still very deep racial problems in the United States and in many other countries. And I do not see these going away any time soon.

John_W 02-17-2019 02:24 PM

He was beaten out by Blaine Gabbert, the guy is a backup at best.

Mikeod 02-17-2019 02:49 PM

IMO, the settlement is a farewell gift both ways. He’ll never play in the NFL again, and the league won’t have to open their inner discussions to public scrutiny.

fishon 02-17-2019 03:01 PM

He would be a good fit for the Patriots.

Kenswing 02-17-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1625603)
He would be a good fit for the Patriots.

How so? The Patriots know how to win.. lol

C4Boston 02-17-2019 03:41 PM

Belichick wants committed players that can win for him Kaepernick is in it for himself.

Bucco 02-17-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C4Boston (Post 1625622)
Belichick wants committed players that can win for him Kaepernick is in it for himself.

What is that based on ? The part of "in it for himself" ?

Kenswing 02-17-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1625643)
The word "entirely" is YOURS, and you are not privy to what I wrote.

Still looking for that discussion of his strengths and weakness on the field, and how he might fit in anyone's plans.

I am not a Kapernick fan by the way...he gave the Niners a shot when they needed it, mostly with his legs, but you are either ill informed or extremely naive if you think these posts have anything to do with the game.

Still awaiting some explanation on this discussion of his football skills

I alluded to his skills in my first post. But here are some more we can discuss.

In his six years in the NFL he averaged a completion percentage of less than 60% Where as Tom Brady over his entire career has 64%.

His passing yards per game have only averaged over 200 yards one season. With an career average of 188. Tom Brady has averaged over 200 yards per game in almost every season he's played. And has a career average yards per game of 262.

I only compared him to Brady since the Patriots are reportedly in the running.

Bucco 02-17-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1625647)
I alluded to his skills in my first post. But here are some more we can discuss.

In his six years in the NFL he averaged a completion percentage of less than 60% Where as Tom Brady over his entire career has 64%.

His passing yards per game have only averaged over 200 yards one season. With an career average of 188. Tom Brady has averaged over 200 yards per game in almost every season he's played. And has a career average yards per game of 262.

Your defense of cohorts is noted, as I did not mention your post.

This is not a dance I like ever. It is a discussion, however innocently begun that most responses are veiled attempts at character assisination, and I surely am not going to defend him, simply call out any phonies and blowhards attempting to be holier than thou, when they trail badly in any race for the high ground.

Bucco 02-17-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1625647)

IF he is picked up, he will be a backup until he retires. He played in SF when they had a definitive need at QB, and like I said, he gave them a shot, albeit a short one.

JimJohnson 02-17-2019 04:49 PM

He was a great player and is a great patriot. Put back on the field.

John_W 02-17-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1625628)
What is that based on ? The part of "in it for himself" ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dze-RFXXQAAlfZv.jpg

John_W 02-17-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1625674)
Another profound, knowledge filled statement in the discussion of quarterback abilities.

Off the thread, may I say, that I join in the numbers who trust no one who uses the little cartoons instead of a brain.

I thought the cartoon said it all. It's old phrase, "Money Talks and BS Walks", he was all in until he found the pot of gold.

If Kaepernick wanted to really get back in the NFL, he could be playing right now in the AAF. They offered him a position on a team, and his answer was, I want $20 million to play. These guys are getting about $100,000 and most are very happy to be out there showing what they got and hoping for another shot in the NFL. I'm watching the AAF right now, I've seen every game, I'm sure all the NFL teams have scouts watching the games as well.

Josh Woodrum, who was Joe Flacco's backup for a couple of years, is out there playing for Salt Lake City. He was injured in the first game, but he's getting experience and trying to get back on an NFL roster.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/3l22...11014747.0.jpg

https://www.oursportscentral.com/gra...211-215075.jpg

Why are players kneeling during the playing of our National Anthem?

NFL players kneel during the national anthem as a way to protest police brutality and racial inequality in the United States.

What players don't seem to understand is the games are played for our amusement, it's entertainment. Essentially it's a form of escape from day to day life in mostly big cities where these games are played. The owners depend on fans buying tickets, watching the games on TV, buying team merchandise. If a fan becomes disenchanted with this group of entertainers, what would they do, they could boycott, quit watching, quit going to the games.

Essentially Kaepernick and others like him are trying to do it kill the golden goose that feeds them. The owners, just like any other business owner, will not hire employees that create trouble. They call it collusion, I call it good business sense to not hire these people. Also, next time Kaepernick or his friends face trouble and call for police, they'll be glad they came. In their eyes, police are no good until you need one.

Taltarzac725 02-17-2019 07:56 PM

Robert Kraft

This looks like the man who would decide whether Kaepernick goes to the Patriots.

Cris Carter: Robert Kraft Fond of Colin Kaepernick, Could Be Tom Brady Successor | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Tblue 02-17-2019 09:17 PM

Colin kapernick

In a sense I agree with John W. At this level it is not about football as much as it is a business. Would you hire someone who is going to bring bad press, potential loss of fans and unknown problems?

pauld315 02-17-2019 10:11 PM

He would never make either of those teams. He is a has been QB with limited skills. That is the reason no team has picked him up.

Bucco 02-18-2019 09:42 AM

Good to see that this thread stayed on a discussion of football as some tried to insist it was. Character assassination because of political stand is what this has become. No other athlete is met with such hateful and personal comments.

Wonder what the difference is ?

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1625666)

Even if this post was meant to be facetious (and I'm not alleging that it was)...:agree:

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1625835)
Good to see that this thread stayed on a discussion of football as some tried to insist it was. Character assassination because of political stand is what this has become. No other athlete is met with such hateful and personal comments.

Wonder what the difference is?

:thumbup:

:agree:

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 11:43 AM

Actually, it's far from being..."that simple."

He originally sat on the bench until another player (and a vet) told him that it would be more respectful...if he kneeled.

All Kap was doing was trying to bring attention to a cause...that is very real.

Those who would prefer to ignore or turn their heads on this issue, chose to try and make it about disrespecting the flag of our country...instead of a meaningful discussion of the issue.

Of which a lot of those same people, sit in their easy chair munching away on snacks...when the national anthem is being played on the television. :oops:

Here is a very balanced view on the whole kneeling thing, including the Green Beret's opinion that Kaepernick went too far (which I agree with)...when he wore those socks.

I encourage all of those who want to know the truth (from a balanced perspective) to read this...but I won't hold my breath.

Kneeling History (click here)

Quote:

“I’m not judging you for standing up for what you believe in,” Boyer wrote. “It’s your inalienable right.

What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I’d be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes.

I’ve never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you’ve gone through is as ignorant as someone who’s never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it’s like to go to war.”

:ho:

billethkid 02-18-2019 12:46 PM

Some of us hold the view there were/are many more ways to make the same statement without the disrespect....intended or otherwise.

Of course most of those would not be as controversial, hence not warranting the media frenzy validating (or not) the action.

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1625835)

Wonder what the difference is?

Compared to some other current starting QB's, much less backups, it's been blatantly obvious that his not being signed by ANY team in the NFL...wasn't about his football talent. :shrug:

Bucco 02-18-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1625908)
Some of us hold the view there were/are many more ways to make the same statement without the disrespect....intended or otherwise.

Of course most of those would not be as controversial, hence not warranting the media frenzy validating (or not) the action.

Still happy this is all about football, and certainly not assassination of a mans character because and ONLY because of politics....that might make this thread political....

I have asked the moderators to reopen the Facebook thread based on the news this morning that the Russian media (you know the trusted source) is bezerk because Facebook took down one of their "wildly popular" sites on thier. Seems to me that in concert we can condemn an American for exercising the right of free speech and also attack Facebook for taking daringly trying to protect us.

Russia's RT fumes after Facebook blocks 'wildly popular' page

Kenswing 02-18-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1625909)
Compared to some other current starting QB's, much less backups, it's been blatantly obvious that his not being signed by ANY team in the NFL...wasn't about his football talent. :shrug:

But does his talent warrant the disruption his signing to any team will bring? He hasn't played in three years and the last two seasons he did play he was mediocre at best. Would you honestly sign him? He might work as a backup somewhere, but again, risk vs. reward. Unless he's willing to play year by year and for cheap I wouldn't want him.. JMO..

Bucco 02-18-2019 02:20 PM

And another question......do you not long, as I do, for the day when sports was sports......and the government stayed out of it ? Recall the olympics of the 60's and other such things......all worked out....the sport took care of it, but did not involve government in any way, did not personally attack anyone.

Maybe I am old, but almost everything in the world seems to be under the jurisdiction of the government, except what used to be.....guns, etc. Maybe it is just my old age.

Kenswing 02-18-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1625936)
And another question......do you not long, as I do, for the day when sports was sports......and the government stayed out of it ? Recall the olympics of the 60's and other such things......all worked out....the sport took care of it, but did not involve government in any way, did not personally attack anyone.

Maybe I am old, but almost everything in the world seems to be under the jurisdiction of the government, except what used to be.....guns, etc. Maybe it is just my old age.

Again, you're venturing into politics..

But yes. I long for the day that sports were sports and not a platform for whatever the cause of the day was. If I want to see activism I'll watch an award show.. :1rotfl:

Bucco 02-18-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1625937)
That's off topic but I'll answer it just for you. :icon_wink:

If a player is found to be taking drugs against the NFL (workplace) policy they should be disciplined in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Plain and simple.

If a player makes racially derogatory statements in the public realm while not representing their team I consider that free speech. I would probably not care much for that person but there is no law against being a racist.

As far as my opinion about the government getting involved, that would fall under politics which you so often like to remind us is forbidden on this site.

thanks for the reply

Carl in Tampa 02-18-2019 03:07 PM

Execrable behavior.

The execrable behavior of Kaepernick is directly on the shoulders of the National Football League and whatever team he played for when he began the "taking the knee" during the National Anthem.

The fact is that the Supreme Court has decided that disrespect for the American Flag, including burning it, is protected as "Free Speech" under the First Amendment. Presumably, this extends to disrespect for the National Anthem.

However, both the NFL and the team for which Kaepernick played had the power to regulate the behavior of their employees, to include being fired for disrespect for the Anthem.

I know this because I have spent decades working for an agency that could and would fire an employee for using what we now euphemistically call "the N word." It was included in the Standard Operating Procedures for the agency, which all employees had to agree to adhere to as a condition of employment.

In the case of players in the NFL, an identical rule could be made, either by the League or an individual team, in which a person who disrespected the Anthem, either on or off the field, would bring dismissal.

They have chosen not to do it. Accordingly, they are culpable for the behavior of Kaepernick. It's as simple as that.

And, of course, just because a person takes advantage of the First Amendment, that does not make him a hero. Kaepernick's behavior was, and is, execrable.

fw102807 02-18-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1625955)
The execrable behavior of Kaepernick is directly on the shoulders of the National Football League and whatever team he played for when he began the "taking the knee" during the National Anthem.

The fact is that the Supreme Court has decided that disrespect for the American Flag, including burning it, is protected as "Free Speech" under the First Amendment. Presumably, this extends to disrespect for the National Anthem.

However, both the NFL and the team for which Kaepernick played had the power to regulate the behavior of their employees, to include being fired for disrespect for the Anthem.

I know this because I have spent decades working for an agency that could and would fire an employee for using what we now euphemistically call "the N word." It was included in the Standard Operating Procedures for the agency, which all employees had to agree to adhere to as a condition of employment.

In the case of players in the NFL, an identical rule could be made, either by the League or an individual team, in which a person who disrespected the Anthem, either on or off the field, would bring dismissal.

They have chosen not to do it. Accordingly, they are culpable for the behavior of Kaepernick. It's as simple as that.

And, of course, just because a person takes advantage of the First Amendment, that does not make him a hero. Kaepernick's behavior was, and is, execrable.

Nice to see you. You have not posted in a while.

Carl in Tampa 02-18-2019 03:26 PM

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1625961)
Nice to see you. You have not posted in a while.

Thanks. I've had some health issues that kept me down for a while. It's nice to be missed.

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 03:37 PM

Estimable behavior!

Actually, CK's actions (with the full knowledge that people would try and spin it into something it wasn't)...was estimable.

It takes much more courage, ethics and integrity to stand up for something that is right, but may be subject to criticism...than it does to join a bully mob.

Particularly when it involves so many dog-whistles and a willingness to look the other way/brush it off...because it doesn't affect yourself.

I'll even bet very few read the entire link...I put in Post#24. :ohdear:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...90-post24.html

manaboutown 02-18-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Thank you for summing it up so succinctly, Carl. It is very good to have you back. I have missed your insightful well thought out posts.

Bucco 02-18-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Written as if all in this post was fact. The use of "could" tells you a lot.

I feel his behavior was poor, as was the use of the flag by the Tea Party years ago. Difference was the reaction by the United States Government, which involved itself, and declined to defend the action, no matter your opinion of that action, as free speech, and instead began a concerted effort OPENLY to influence the NFL to take action. I would assume this kind of interference, no matter the issue, would be acceptable to you...my judgement based on this post.

It "COULD" be nterpeted as our government refusing to acknowledge free speech.

John_W 02-18-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1625666)

You win, two jokes while using only 10 words, but you forgot your smiley face :) Let me show something

The guy in blue is a Patriot

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Rtz1...26559721.0.jpg

These guys are patriots

https://images.wsj.net/im-24340?widt...pect_ratio=1.5

This guy, not so much

https://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordp...ernick-ftr.jpg

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 04:00 PM

Time for some more of those pesky...facts.

Patriot | Define Patriot at Dictionary.com
Quote:

patriot

a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

:ho:

ColdNoMore 02-18-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1625972)
Let me show something

The guy in blue is a Patriot

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Rtz1...26559721.0.jpg

Let me ask something.

Please explain exactly how you determined, since you only referenced one of them, that the other two people in the photo...are not "patriots?"
:confused: