Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   City Fire Lake Sumter (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/city-fire-lake-sumter-125728/)

Walter123 09-02-2014 03:22 PM

City Fire Lake Sumter

Had lunch there today. Got the sliders which were GREAT! Yum, yum.

dewilson58 09-02-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 932161)
Had lunch there today. Got the sliders which were horrible. They cooked one hamburger, cut it into three pieces and put each piece on a little stale bun! That's not a slider. Not to mention they were dry. I'll stay away from the sliders next time.

and no........I didn't speak to the manager.

How many pickles were on each "slider"??

2BNTV 09-02-2014 03:32 PM

I found the manager to be very accommodating in trying to make things right.

I once had ordered a flatbread meat pizza without pepperoni, and it came out with pepperoni. I tried a little piece anyway and it was loaded with spice. Both the waitress and manager quickly came to the table, to make things right.

I have eaten there several times since, and usually, it's very good.

The manager knows what customer service is all about and if you complained, I'm sure she would have sent your meal back, and asked if you wanted something else. IMHO

Walter123 09-02-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 932167)
I found the manager to be very accommodating in trying to make things right.

I once had ordered a flatbread meat pizza without pepperoni, and it came out with pepperoni. I tried a little piece anyway and it was loaded with spice. Both the waitress and manager quickly came to the table, to make things right.

I have eaten there several times since, and usually, it's very good.

The manager knows what customer service is all about and if you complained, I'm sure she would have sent your meal back, and asked if you wanted something else. IMHO

I agree!

Walter123 09-02-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 932164)
How many pickles were on each "slider"??

There was one sandwich slice pickle on each third of the burger. Thanks for asking and have a great day!

buggyone 09-02-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 932172)
It won't stop me from going there but my point is that this is the way they make sliders and there not for me. Speaking to the manager would be silly in this case. Their not going to change the way they make them. My point is that if you want sliders go someplace else. That's all I'm trying to say.

Was your point that the buns were stale or you did not like their definition of a slider? Was it fair to call it "horrible"?

Sliders usually are 3 small burgers that equal one regular size burger. Besides that, you got pickle on each one.

Happinow 09-02-2014 05:00 PM

Go to Gators in Brownwood and order their mini burgers. I ordered them and thought I was getting slider like burgers. They came out with (4) "mini" burgers on a plate. The burgers were almost full size! Delicious and a great value. You also get to pick a side with the mini burgers too. Easily enough for two people. A great value at 9.99. I think you have to get the bar menu to order these.

Loudoll 09-02-2014 05:17 PM

Gators is good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 932214)
Go to Gators in Brownwood and order their mini burgers. I ordered them and thought I was getting slider like burgers. They came out with (4) "mini" burgers on a plate. The burgers were almost full size! Delicious and a great value. You also get to pick a side with the mini burgers too. Easily enough for two people. A great value at 9.99. I think you have to get the bar menu to order these.

We had these at another Gators and right...they are so-o-o good.

Loudoll 09-02-2014 05:21 PM

touchy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 932174)
There was one sandwich slice pickle on each third of the burger if that's important to you,

Walter123 was only trying to feign interest...lighten up..

Loudoll 09-02-2014 05:23 PM

oops

Quote:

There was one sandwich slice pickle on each third of the burger if that's important to you,

Should have said dewilson was only trying to feign interest...sorry

Aandjmassage 09-02-2014 06:35 PM

Thanks to all we find the best deal at each place. I just found $1 Beer Monday at Gators!

DougB 09-02-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Dill or bread and butter?

Loudoll 09-02-2014 08:57 PM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 932311)
Dill or bread and butter?

So funny...

jdsl1998 09-02-2014 09:09 PM

I have to admit. We had the sliders and loved them in the past....BUT, we ordered them a couple of weeks ago and they are not the same! We, too, were disappointed. But, all the other meals were outstanding!

Pointer 09-03-2014 03:58 AM

If the two people who posted here told the manager in a friendly way that they are dissatisfied with the sliders and/or how they might improve. At least they'd have an opportunity to look at weather they should consider a change. Given in a kind manner Feedback can be appreciated. Just a thought. :)

2BNTV 09-03-2014 04:23 AM

I like the sign in Big Al's barber shop.

If you like our services, tell your friends. If you don't, tell management.

I am not a picky eater but I know when a meal is very good. A person always has the option to complain after tasting their meal and tell management it is unacceptable. 99% of the time, I eat my meal without complaints. To finish the whole thing and then complain, is not fair to the establishment as they are unaware they did something wrong.

I have had City Fire's sliders and they are acceptable. I wouldn't say they are the the greatest, but one can always go to another establishment to their liking.

My mother owned a luncheonette, and some people expected her to cook to their own's mom's standards. They use to give instructions on how they wanted their meal prepared, Times were different then, and my mom was a great cook.

2BNTV 09-03-2014 04:26 AM

News Flash!!!

City Fire has meatloaf sliders, that are not listed on the menu. You have to ask for them.

Bonny 09-03-2014 09:51 AM

I get the sliders alot at City Fire. I like them. I always get them with a cup of soup. City Fire has some of the best soups around.

dewilson58 09-03-2014 10:19 AM

A picture of their Sliders are on their website..............can't remember if the picture is on the menu.

Just a way to know what it looks like prior to purchasing.

rubicon 09-03-2014 12:17 PM

A slider by any other name is a slider. If an establishment has trouble properly preparing a slider/burger then imagine what the rest of their menu is going to be like. I mean its hard to improve on a burger ( think Drive In Diners and Dives) but to fail in cooking a plain ordinary burger Wow the cook needs to think another trade.

Aandjmassage 09-03-2014 01:06 PM

Always busy when we go must be doing right.

Bogie Shooter 09-03-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 932583)
A slider by any other name is a slider. If an establishment has trouble properly preparing a slider/burger then imagine what the rest of their menu is going to be like. I mean its hard to improve on a burger ( think Drive In Diners and Dives) but to fail in cooking a plain ordinary burger Wow the cook needs to think another trade.

Many posts above say they are good...............maybe not the cook?

NYGUY 09-07-2014 09:33 AM

I believe it was Bonny who said that City Fire was going to pick up the old Friday's location....maybe the sliders will be even better there.

Bonny 09-07-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGUY (Post 934397)
I believe it was Bonny who said that City Fire was going to pick up the old Friday's location....maybe the sliders will be even better there.

It will be different from City Fire.

MoeVonB61 09-07-2014 04:43 PM

WOW!..Cityfire is outstanding....you do not need to ask for the Manager, your server will make it right if you say something.....:)

Schaumburger 09-07-2014 05:21 PM

Cityfire at Lake Sumter Landing is always on my "must go" list when I visit TV. Every meal I have had there has been great.

simpkinp 09-08-2014 10:03 AM

The new establishment in the old TGIFriday's building is not going to be called City Fire and there will be a lot of modification to the building. He mentioned the name, but I will not repeat it until he announces it. Mike will do a good job of putting together something different for us to enjoy. He knows how to run a successful business and make his patrons happy. I asked if he could set aside some area for non smokers to enjoy sitting outside on the ample back porch. That way everyone can enjoy the beautiful weather days and evenings.

Bonny 09-08-2014 10:08 AM

Just waiting until all the Ts are crossed and the Is are dotted !! :pray:

kleeh 02-24-2015 08:57 PM

Dinner at FireCity SumterLanding

Being new to The Villages, not yet owners (closing is next month), we have only had 4 previous dining experiences in The Villages restaurants...and they were not in any way special or memorable, we were discouraged. Then today after our house inspection we tried CityFire. What a fine dinner we had! Fine in all the ways that matter to us: Good food cooked appropriately to proper doneness, not greasy, not overly saucy, attentive, caring service without hovering, and clean environment, table, utensils, glassware. We had their meatloaf with portobello gravy, roasted root veggies, and substituted fingerling potatoes for the mashed. Delicious! And we received a couple of lovely bonuses: First, after our waiter came back to our table to our deliver the bad news that they were out of the draft beer my dh had ordered and then a second time to say that the Pork Loin he had first ordered was also gone. He stated that the substitute beer would be "on the house." The second bonus was after our dinner arrived the manager, Scott, came by to make sure all was well with the substitute meatloaf and beer. It was unnecessary as we were as happy as clams with our delicious dinner, but it certainly went a long way to demonstrate that this establishment truly cares about pleasing their patrons. As a result we are so looking forward to a long, mutually beneficial relationship with Sumter Landing CityFire...for sure! :mmmm:

Bonny 02-25-2015 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleeh (Post 1019006)
Being new to The Villages, not yet owners (closing is next month), we have only had 4 previous dining experiences in The Villages restaurants...and they were not in any way special or memorable, we were discouraged. Then today after our house inspection we tried CityFire. What a fine dinner we had! Fine in all the ways that matter to us: Good food cooked appropriately to proper doneness, not greasy, not overly saucy, attentive, caring service without hovering, and clean environment, table, utensils, glassware. We had their meatloaf with portobello gravy, roasted root veggies, and substituted fingerling potatoes for the mashed. Delicious! And we received a couple of lovely bonuses: First, after our waiter came back to our table to our deliver the bad news that they were out of the draft beer my dh had ordered and then a second time to say that the Pork Loin he had first ordered was also gone. He stated that the substitute beer would be "on the house." The second bonus was after our dinner arrived the manager, Scott, came by to make sure all was well with the substitute meatloaf and beer. It was unnecessary as we were as happy as clams with our delicious dinner, but it certainly went a long way to demonstrate that this establishment truly cares about pleasing their patrons. As a result we are so looking forward to a long, mutually beneficial relationship with Sumter Landing CityFire...for sure! :mmmm:

City Fire is an all around class act & great restaurant !! Always top notch service, very well managed and consistently good food.

bagboy 02-25-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 1019078)
City Fire is an all around class act & great restaurant !! Always top notch service, very well managed and consistently good food.

How are things going with City Fires "Honest Johns Whiskey and Provisions"? We have been away but will be back soon, and I like the sound of what they are proposing for the TGIF building.

Bonny 02-25-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1019191)
How are things going with City Fires "Honest Johns Whiskey and Provisions"? We have been away but will be back soon, and I like the sound of what they are proposing for the TGIF building.

Mid April opening. Can't wait. We're really excited !

bagboy 02-25-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 1019194)
Mid April opening. Can't wait. We're really excited !

Thank you Bonny. Should be a cool place. Looking forward to it also.

simpkinp 02-26-2015 07:48 PM

I always loved the scenic back patio overlooking the mill. I hope they set aside a "no smoking" area so we can all enjoy sitting out and enjoy the view

Bonny 02-26-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinp (Post 1020011)
I always loved the scenic back patio overlooking the mill. I hope they set aside a "no smoking" area so we can all enjoy sitting out and enjoy the view

It is outside. If you want no smoking, you have the entire inside !

Foodielife 03-02-2015 10:16 AM

We enjoy City Fire very much have always had a nice experience there. Scott goes above and beyond to make everything is great. Can't wait for Honest John's.

kleeh 03-15-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 1020084)
It is outside. If you want no smoking, you have the entire inside !

So, I gather from your post that non-smokers are relegated to the inside if they choose not to smoke by osmosis, and smokers get the great outdoors. Interesting... the smokers have their own homes, lanais, patios, and yards plus the restaurants outdoor areas to smoke, while we non-smokers have our own homes, lanais, patios, yards, and the inside of the restaurants, but not the outdoor dining areas. Somehow that feels like punishment for not making others breathe my second-hand smoke. Perhaps that doesn't apply to all the restaurants with outdoor dining.

simpkinp 03-15-2015 08:48 PM

I love to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. That is what Florida is all about. Several in my group are smokers, but they always walk to a deserted area to enjoy their time and then rejoin us non smokers. A nice compromise? They also check for the wind direction so it does not come our way. Polite people.

kleeh 03-16-2015 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinp (Post 1029205)
I love to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. That is what Florida is all about. Several in my group are smokers, but they always walk to a deserted area to enjoy their time and then rejoin us non smokers. A nice compromise? They also check for the wind direction so it does not come our way. Polite people.

@Simpkinp, sounds like you have a great group of courteous friends.

simpkinp 03-17-2015 07:34 PM

Yes I do have wonderful, considerate smoking friends and I love them dearly. We can all get along together if we just think about how our actions affect others.