Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Bare - How is the knee surgery doing? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/bare-how-knee-surgery-doing-83203/)

Madelaine Amee 07-22-2013 01:47 PM

Bare - How is the knee surgery doing?

How about an update on how you are doing with the knee surgery? Hopefully, the pain is much less this week.

Barefoot 07-25-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 712705)
How about an update on how you are doing with the knee surgery? Hopefully, the pain is much less this week.

Thanks for asking. I'm replying with details because i know there are lots of people considering this surgery. I just keep thinking i must be the world's biggest wimp. Because thousands of the surgeries are done daily. However I've heard that a knee replacement is one of the most painful surgeries ever, and I would sure agree with that.

For me, it's now two weeks after a knee replacement. I had my 30 knee staples removed today. After my surgery on July 10, and after the spinal freezing wore off, the first few days were unbelievably painful. Just something you never want to remember. I hate taking drugs, but we were told they are imperative, because without pain drugs, you just wouldn't be able to bear the Physio. Which must be done regularly or scar tissue will form. The challenges are definitely pain management and frequent exercises. And of course dealing with the side effects of prescription pain Meds. I was under the perception that if I took my prescribed pain Meds, that i'd be pain free. Lol. Not true. There is pain 24/7, even with OxyContin or Dilaudid. But the medication does take the edge off to allow sleeping and Physio.

My Physiotherapist says I'm doing great, but I feel like a wet paper towel. I can walk unassisted, slowly, like Frankenstein. But I would never walk around unassisted because if I should trip, it could be a disaster. In two weeks, my knees have gotten incredibly stronger as the swelling decreases, and the joints mend. The bending is the hardest part, and the most painful. Fireboy is a poster boy for patience and helps with my exercises. I'm in Canada, but you can probably hear me shrieking in Florida "It just won't bend anymore". And then Fireboy bends it another inch further! It's a tough job being a caregiver, and I have nothing but admiration for people who do it full time.

So, two weeks after surgery, I wouldn't recommend a knee replacement it to anyone! But I'm told that in another month, I'll be very happy I did it, and that I'll be recommending it to friends. And in six months I'll be golfing in The Villages, and my knee will feel normal. O Happy Day!

bkcunningham1 07-25-2013 06:41 AM

God bless you, friend. I have another friend who is single and nearly 71 and she had double knee replacement in December. She was walking the next day and was playing shuffleboard again within three months. It was amazing to watch her progress and to see how much the surgery relieved her pain. She is like a new person. I sincerely hope you have miraculous results.

Oh, btw. She had the continuous passive motion machines on her knees immediately after surgery, when she was in rehab and at home. Are you using that apparatus?

Barefoot 07-25-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 (Post 714006)
God bless you, friend. I have another friend who is single and nearly 71 and she had double knee replacement in December. She was walking the next day and was playing shuffleboard again within three months. It was amazing to watch her progress and to see how much the surgery relieved her pain. She is like a new person. I sincerely hope you have miraculous results.

Oh, btw. She had the continuous passive motion machines on her knees immediately after surgery, when she was in rehab and at home. Are you using that apparatus?

Thanks for the good wishes. It's comforting to hear stories of good outcomes.

I'm not using a Passive Motion Machine. My Orthopedic Surgeon is very adamant that he's not a fan. I think perhaps his thinking is that a PMM will make you lazy and unwilling to do the manual Physio. I like the concept of a PMM myself and almost rented one for a month. But I needed a prescription from my Ortho, and that wasn't possible. I'm working very hard at my manual exercises and they hurt like hell. Ouch!

THE NEWCOMER 07-25-2013 07:13 AM

Wow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 714016)
Thanks for the good wishes. It's comforting to hear stories of good outcomes.

I'm not using a Passive Motion Machine. My Orthopedic Surgeon is very adamant that he's not a fan. I think perhaps his thinking is that a PMM will make you lazy and unwilling to do the manual Physio. I like the concept of a PMM myself and almost rented one for a month. But I needed a prescription from my Ortho, and that wasn't possible. I'm working very hard at my manual exercises and they hurt like hell. Ouch!

WOW, sorry to hear your NOT using the machine. I stayed in my machine with both knees and increased the range when needed. Its not about laziness it about keeping that knee from stiffing up. No wonder its so painful without a machine I couldn't have done it. Hang in there!

Barefoot 07-25-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE NEWCOMER (Post 714020)
WOW, sorry to hear your NOT using the machine. I stayed in my machine with both knees and increased the range when needed. Its not about laziness it about keeping that knee from stiffing up. No wonder its so painful without a machine I couldn't have done it. Hang in there!

How long did you use the machine? How many days after surgery did you use it? I haven't completely abandoned the idea. I'm seeing my Surgeon July 29. I will ask him then why he doesn't like the machine. Maybe I should insist on a prescription. I wonder if a PMM would still be of value? My surgery was July 10.

I realize the PMM isn't about laziness. I agree that keeping flexible is the key. I think I'm bending around 96 right now (I'm not sure if that number makes any sense!). I'm sure I could find a doctor somewhere to write up a Req.

maureenod 07-25-2013 08:49 AM

Barefoot, I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I experienced no pain with the surgery. Had femor block, which lasted 2 days. Only med I took was vicoden. Had PM machine imediately after surgery and had one at home. Used it for 2 hours 3 X day. Ice machine as much as possible. Walking without a cane after 2 weeks and driving (left knee). The PM machine makes it easier to do excercises, loosens everything up. The Flex is the only thing that was really painful. They will force it to around 125-130. Three months and I feel like a new woman. If you need the other knee done, I would look for another ortho. You should not be in that much pain. A excercice bike i think is a must, really loosens things up. Massaging the scar area is good. Too late for PM. I have a 5 inch, barely noticable scar. All stitches were disolivable and glued. Had nothing removed.

mac9 07-25-2013 09:24 AM

Barefoot, I too used a PMM with both knees (done 3 years apart). I can tell you that the pain will get less and less each week as time goes by. The problem with pain meds is that we lay people have a tendency to wait until the pain is so bad that we force ourselves to take it. Unfortunately, they need to be taken on a regular basis for the first 3-4 weeks so as to prevent the most pain. I feel bad that I didn't tell you this sooner. Keep up the good work. It is so helpful to have a cooperative spouse that is willing to help. Mine is a retired RN who was most helpful at all times including explaining the use of pain meds to me. Hang in there.

EdV 07-25-2013 10:44 AM

Barefoot, I certainly feel your pain because two weeks ago while traveling to my summer retreat in the mountains, I tripped over a gas pump hose and was thrown to the cement and shattered my left kneecap. I too was in severe pain until I was finally released from the ER and got to a drug store for pain medication.

It’s interesting to note that therapy for this type of injury is exactly the opposite of yours. Because the knee cap (patella assists the leg muscles to bend the knee, doing so would cause separation of the break (with severe pain) and prevent healing.

So in my case I have to wear an ankle to thigh knee immobilizer that prevents the knee from bending. Since the patella is not a weight bearing bone, as long as the immobilizer is on tightly, I can get around with little pain. However, driving the car and using the lavatory presents a whole new set of obstacles.

Recovery will be 6-8 weeks, oh joy.

rodie 07-25-2013 12:15 PM

A lot of people recommend Dr. Duke. Does he recommend the use of the PM machine?

If so, I am sure he tells you where to go to get one.

PaPaLarry 07-25-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodie (Post 714163)
A lot of people recommend Dr. Duke. Does he recommend the use of the PM machine?

If so, I am sure he tells you where to go to get one.

Dr Duke does recommend the use of PM machine, and they take care making sure its delivered to house, on same day you come home from hospital. Plus Dr Duke does not use staples or stitches, which is comforting when going back on your 2 week appointment. Therapists also come to home.

THE NEWCOMER 07-25-2013 01:57 PM

Passive Movement!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 714050)
How long did you use the machine? How many days after surgery did you use it? I haven't completely abandoned the idea. I'm seeing my Surgeon July 29. I will ask him then why he doesn't like the machine. Maybe I should insist on a prescription. I wonder if a PMM would still be of value? My surgery was July 10.

I realize the PMM isn't about laziness. I agree that keeping flexible is the key. I think I'm bending around 96 right now (I'm not sure if that number makes any sense!). I'm sure I could find a doctor somewhere to write up a Req.

I woke up from the operation and my knee was in the machine. I was in the Hostipal for three day and stay on that machine except for therapy. I used mine for ten weeks. If I was laying down my knee was in the machine. I'd fall asleep with knee in the machine. I didn't have problems with swelling. I don't have a clue about the ice machine because I didn't use one. I had a home nurse come to me because I was on blood thinning medicine. I had home therapy 3x week for 6-8 weeks. I had exercises I had to do 3x a day. I was restricted from riding in an automobile for 8 weeks. Therapist would encourage me to bend the knee as far as I could. She would measure weekly to see if I was improving my range. Therapist had an acceptable range after 8 weeks that I needed to reach. Therapy is the real deal BUT I was ALWAYS medicated. Immediatly after therapy it was NAP TIME! Surgeon are different but it is all about passive movement! Good Luck!

tainsley 07-25-2013 02:12 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

maureenod 07-25-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPaLarry (Post 714198)
Dr Duke does recommend the use of PM machine, and they take care making sure its delivered to house, on same day you come home from hospital. Plus Dr Duke does not use staples or stitches, which is comforting when going back on your 2 week appointment. Therapists also come to home.

They do use stitches on the inside which disolve over time and they glue the top layers of the skin together.

Schaumburger 07-26-2013 06:33 AM

Bare, I also wish you a speedy recovery, and hopefully the pain will start going away pronto. And you are not the biggest wimp in the world -- that would be me. :wave:

bkcunningham1 07-26-2013 06:48 AM

Dr. Duke did my friend's double knee replacement.

THE NEWCOMER 07-26-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 (Post 714539)

WOW! I couldn't imagine two at a time! I personally wouldn't be able to handle it! I did one a time plus my surgeon wouldn't do it!

Barefoot 07-27-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 (Post 714539)

I find it really amazing when people have a double knee replacement. I had arthroscopic surgery on both knees at the same time, two years ago. I wasn't given blood thinners by the Surgeon and I ended up in Hospital for 8 days with blood clots in both lungs! I took Warfarin for six months. The thought of a double knee replacement makes me weak! I applaud the surgeon and the patient!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maureenod (Post 714070)
Barefoot, I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I experienced no pain with the surgery. Had femor block, which lasted 2 days. Only med I took was vicoden. Had PM machine imediately after surgery and had one at home. Used it for 2 hours 3 X day. Ice machine as much as possible. Walking without a cane after 2 weeks and driving (left knee). The PM machine makes it easier to do excercises, loosens everything up. The Flex is the only thing that was really painful. They will force it to around 125-130. Three months and I feel like a new woman. If you need the other knee done, I would look for another ortho. You should not be in that much pain. A excercice bike i think is a must, really loosens things up. Massaging the scar area is good. Too late for PM. I have a 5 inch, barely noticable scar. All stitches were disolivable and glued. Had nothing removed.

Maureen, I am quite amazed by your post. You must have been extremely fit prior to surgery to sail through the Recovery so quickly! And your scar is barely noticeable? After getting 30 staples removed, my right knee looks like a Frankenstein-designed railroad track!

To Mac9, EdV, The Newcomer, Tainsley and Schaumburger, thanks for the comments and good wishes.

I wonder if renting a Passive Motion Machine three weeks after surgery would be of any benefit?

Madelaine Amee 07-27-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 715261)

Maureen, I am quite amazed by your post. You must have been extremely fit prior to surgery to sail through the Recovery so quickly! And your scar is barely noticeable? After getting 30 staples removed, my right knee looks like a Frankenstein-designed railroad track!

Bare - my husband's knee must be a twin for yours. In fact, on the golf course some time ago, one of the foursome looked at his leg and said "amazing what they can do with prosthetics these days" - he was not amused. The scar will fade with time .......

I did a search on the PM machine for you and found that both Canada and the UK allow the knee to heal without the machine. I think you would have had to wake up in the machine to get the benefit, by now your scar tissue has started to form and it would be very difficult to use the PM machine. But, I am not a surgeon (even though I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night :laugh:) ask yours what he thinks.

Is the pain easing up at all?

maureenod 07-29-2013 08:04 AM

Barefoot, I did not sail thru recovery. I did have Praxim Robotic Assisted surgery which has been around for about a year and a half. It is less invasive and gives perfect alignment, which is key to success. The PT was no walk in the park although I didnt mind it except for flexing the knee back. The PM machine only keeps the knee moving and loose for excercise. I only had it for a week at home and I wish it were longer because everything tighened up. I used to sit on kitchen table and swing my leg to loosen it up before exercise. The bike was a must and at before each session just working it back and forth for 5 minutes before I was able to get it full circle. I was weeks ahead of anyone in my PT and that was due to the Praxim not my pre surgery physical condition. I used to walk 3 miles 3 or4 X a week but was unable to do it for at least a year before surgery. One lady had a knee done 7 yrs ago and I couldnt tell which was the new or old surgery. Another had her knee done last Sept and she has to wear a brace because the knee cap wont stay in the correct position. Also, the PT would massage my leg to "get the knots out" of the muscles so the blood would flow. It was also uncomfortable but necessary. I did this myself at home.

KathieI 07-29-2013 09:22 AM

My husband (actually ex-) had 2 partial knees done about 6 months apart. He had the motion machine on him when he woke up in the hospital and it was delivered to the house when he came home. He was on it almost 24 hours a day and fell asleep with it in motion. He also has some sort of device on his feet that was an air pressure balloon type thingy that was supposed to avoid blood clots. He had that for about a week or so. The motion machine was on him for more than a month (if I remember correctly) and he had a therapist come to the house 3 x a week for quite a while and she measured each time the level of range in bending the knee. His pain was severe but the oxy and percoset took care of it.

The 2nd knee was different in that the surgeon glued the incision, he did not use staples. About 3 days after he got home, his leg swelled up twice or more its size and was red and very hot. The pain was extremely high and I rushed him to the ER where he actually went into shock. They admitted him for another week and the eventual outcome was he was allergic to the glue that was used. Who would have guessed???? So that recovery was longer and eventually both knees now are in good shape.

Its probably too late for the motion machine for you but I know it helped him a lot in keeping the leg from stiffening up.

Good luck, and I hope and pray you are 100% soon... xoxoxo

lovsthosebigdogs 07-29-2013 11:38 AM

Oh, dear Bare, I go on vacation and away from my computer and come home to find you had surgery and are hurting. I wish you a speedy recovery and an end to your pain. With so many stories and so many people having gone through this I don't know if it gives me encouragement to HAVE the replacement my doctor wants me to have or scares me away from it. I'm sorry you are hurting so much, Bare, but I too know a lot of people who are feeling much better months afterwards and I am sure you will be also. In fact, when we meet at the DDR you can chase after my dogs for me when I can't. FB is a very good man and you are lucky to have him helping you. Feel better and hugs til you are up and around!

mainlander 07-29-2013 09:44 PM

I had not realized Barefoot, that you had undergone this procedure. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping you cling to the thought that: "it is worth it",,, considering the alternative of not getting it done. Best.

ewstanley 07-30-2013 03:39 AM

I am hoping that your knee is feeling better. I have several friends and a former coworker who had the surgery. It is no walk in the park. I wish you health and hope that you are on the road to recovery!

PaPaLarry 07-31-2013 02:01 PM

Tomorrow, my Sally and I are going to Dr Dukes office for six week checkup, after she had knee surgery replacement on June 18nth. This past Friday, she finally graduated to a cane for some of her walking. Can really understand your pain, and hopefully you are getting through it, and feeling somewhat better. Sally still has pain, and will continue to have pain (according to therapist) for up to eight weeks or so. Her pain level is between 5-6 (after having for first 6 weeks a pain level 8-10. BUT, she's noticing a big change in both mobility and the comparison from before operation. You need to hang in there, because you really are over the hump, and it will only get better. Keep exercising as you were told to make your knee (leg) stronger. We hope you are feeling better, and stay strong. You will see it was worth it!!!!!! (:

dotti105 07-31-2013 03:04 PM

It seems that there is a huge range of post op pain and length of recovery from knee replacements.

I will need both of mine done, one of these day....I just get lots of cortisone injections and avoid stairs and hills at all costs. I am one of the lucky ones who can postpone and limit my activities and carry on, for now.

My 88 yr old mom had a total knee and we kids were afraid it would do her in. She lost the walker, then the cane and was totally mobile and pain free in 3-4 weeks.

I am a RN and talked to my Ortho about my mom's experience and I was amazed to find that:
The older patient does better. Less pain receptors=less pain=easier pt and rehab!!
who would have guessed.

Stay positive, do what your Dr says, (be a "compliant" patient) and over time you will heal. The source of your knee pain and mobility limitations should fade in memory and you should see much improvement over time. It's the present that is a hassle.

We wish you well and smooth sailing from here on out!!!

Barefoot 07-31-2013 06:00 PM

One thing I've learned from posts on this surgery is that almost everyone has had a knee or hip replacement, or they're considering it. Those with good knees have usually been called upon to be care givers, a tough task!

I think the average cost runs about $60,000. No wonder Our Health Care Systems are challenged!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 715298)
The scar will fade with time ...

I had someone PM me and tell me to massage Vitamin E into the scar to help with healing and smooth it out. I also had the Physiotherapist tell me to massage around the wound to help break up scar tissue.

Kathie, thanks for the good wishes. If I could just go out dancing for hours every night like you, I'd be such a happy camper.

Dotti, that's very interesting that older people have less pain receptors and less pain.

To my Borzoi buddy, thanks for the good wishes, and we'll see you in the Fall at Doggie Doo Run Run!

To Mainlander, a fellow Canuck, thanks for the wishes for a speedy recovery.

EWStanley, I appreciate your good wishes. And you're right, it's no walk in the park. I understand that about 5% of patients sail through the surgery with little or no pain! Oh, lucky 5%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPaLarry (Post 717424)
Tomorrow, my Sally and I are going to Dr Dukes office for six week checkup, after she had knee surgery replacement on June 18nth. This past Friday, she finally graduated to a cane for some of her walking. Can really understand your pain, and hopefully you are getting through it, and feeling somewhat better. Sally still has pain, and will continue to have pain (according to therapist) for up to eight weeks or so. Her pain level is between 5-6 (after having for first 6 weeks a pain level 8-10. (:

I think I'm like your Sally with a pain level 8-10. If I could just get a handle on the pain thing, it would be a piece of cake. I know that taking the right pain medication makes Physio bearable and sleeping possible. Unfortunately, I've yet to find the winning combination. Like most wrinklies, I hate the idea of taking drugs. That's not right thinking I know, in this case, drugs help with Recovery. I thought I could handle pain pretty well. But I find I'm avoiding Physio even though I know it is critically important. I panic when I think about scar tissue forming.

I saw my Surgeon this week for my three-week anniversary. I can walk without a cane, but I'm slow and awkward. I prefer to use a cane, it's a bit of security. I thought I wasn't doing badly, but my Surgeon thinks I could be doing much better. He prescribed some stronger Meds and I'm hoping they'll help, because I definitely need to have more aggressive Physio more often. And to get some sleep.

I really appreciate the good wishes and good ideas and encouragement!

Patty55 07-31-2013 07:59 PM

Hope you're feeling better soon, I'd take as much pain killer as possible.

FWIW, I know people who had that surgery after putting it off and once they recovered said they wish they had done it sooner.

Have a speedy recovery.

mainlander 07-31-2013 09:32 PM

Barefoot,,, kudos to your partner for being there, kind and supportive. Regards.

PaPaLarry 08-02-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 717535)
One thing I've learned from posts on this surgery is that almost everyone has had a knee or hip replacement, or they're considering it. Those with good knees have usually been called upon to be care givers, a tough task!

I think the average cost runs about $60,000. No wonder Our Health Care Systems are challenged!

I had someone PM me and tell me to massage Vitamin E into the scar to help with healing and smooth it out. I also had the Physiotherapist tell me to massage around the wound to help break up scar tissue.

Kathie, thanks for the good wishes. If I could just go out dancing for hours every night like you, I'd be such a happy camper.

Dotti, that's very interesting that older people have less pain receptors and less pain.

To my Borzoi buddy, thanks for the good wishes, and we'll see you in the Fall at Doggie Doo Run Run!

To Mainlander, a fellow Canuck, thanks for the wishes for a speedy recovery.

EWStanley, I appreciate your good wishes. And you're right, it's no walk in the park. I understand that about 5% of patients sail through the surgery with little or no pain! Oh, lucky 5%.

I think I'm like your Sally with a pain level 8-10. If I could just get a handle on the pain thing, it would be a piece of cake. I know that taking the right pain medication makes Physio bearable and sleeping possible. Unfortunately, I've yet to find the winning combination. Like most wrinklies, I hate the idea of taking drugs. That's not right thinking I know, in this case, drugs help with Recovery. I thought I could handle pain pretty well. But I find I'm avoiding Physio even though I know it is critically important. I panic when I think about scar tissue forming.

I saw my Surgeon this week for my three-week anniversary. I can walk without a cane, but I'm slow and awkward. I prefer to use a cane, it's a bit of security. I thought I wasn't doing badly, but my Surgeon thinks I could be doing much better. He prescribed some stronger Meds and I'm hoping they'll help, because I definitely need to have more aggressive Physio more often. And to get some sleep.

I really appreciate the good wishes and good ideas and encouragement!

After visiting Dr Dukes office yesterday, Sally will be going to Rehabilitation, 3 times a week, for 4 weeks to get the stiffness out, which is causing some of the pain. Dr said this will help her, heal faster, and reduce some swelling. Otherwise , everything looks fine, x rays show everything in order, and more pain medicine was ordered in case she needs it. Was told to start taking 2 Aleves, twice a day to help swelling and imflamation faster etc. Pain can be with her for a long time, we were told. Exercising and stretching is so important they said. On 7nth week (who's counting) and things seem to get better each day

maureenod 08-02-2013 01:49 PM

Last night on the evening news Brian Williams announced that he was going in to have a total knee replacement. The total bill, including PT, was $28,000. Although, I believe medicare and the hospital has an agreed price which is much lower. I did have a co-payment of around $1000 for hospital and PT. I have a basic HMO plan which I pay $24.80 per month.

Barefoot 08-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPaLarry (Post 718280)
After visiting Dr Dukes office yesterday, Sally will be going to Rehabilitation, 3 times a week, for 4 weeks to get the stiffness out, which is causing some of the pain. Dr said this will help her, heal faster, and reduce some swelling. Otherwise , everything looks fine, x rays show everything in order, and more pain medicine was ordered in case she needs it. Was told to start taking 2 Aleves, twice a day to help swelling and imflamation faster etc. Pain can be with her for a long time, we were told. Exercising and stretching is so important they said. On 7nth week (who's counting) and things seem to get better each day

I'm glad things are getting better for you and Sally.

My Orthopedic Surgeon prescribed new Meds for me this week. He lectured me to take them regularly to stay ahead of the pain. They are working well, allowing me to get more sleep and do more aggressive exercises. I started yesterday with a new Physiotherapist and she says I'm doing fine. She measured my bend at 100 degrees, which doesn't seem like much, but she says I'm doing OK for three weeks post surgery.

It seems the whole mixture of exercise, medication, sleep and nutrition have to be "fine tuned" for each individual. The hardest part for me was getting past my aversion to pain Meds and taking them before the pain, not after.

I'd really like to say a heartfelt thank to those people who sent me PMs with suggestions and good wishes. How very kind of you. I finally feel more optimistic, that I'll be golfing in The Villages in November!

PaPaLarry 08-03-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 718514)
I'm glad things are getting better for you and Sally.

My Orthopedic Surgeon prescribed new Meds for me this week. He lectured me to take them regularly to stay ahead of the pain. They are working well, allowing me to get more sleep and do more aggressive exercises. I started yesterday with a new Physiotherapist and she says I'm doing fine. She measured my bend at 100 degrees, which doesn't seem like much, but she says I'm doing OK for three weeks post surgery.

It seems the whole mixture of exercise, medication, sleep and nutrition have to be "fine tuned" for each individual. The hardest part for me was getting past my aversion to pain Meds and taking them before the pain, not after.

I'd really like to say a heartfelt thank to those people who sent me PMs with suggestions and good wishes. How very kind of you. I finally feel more optimistic, that I'll be golfing in The Villages in November!

Sounds like your finally on the right road to full recovery. Yes, pain meds are good when taken correctly. You will not get addicted. Just be aware, that pain will be around for a long time (months), but on a lesser level. As the pain subsides, the meds will be less.So glad your confidence has changed!! So important!! You will be new in no time, and yes, you will be back to golf soon. People just don't realize sometimes, how serious this operation is, but IT WORKS!! Took me a while to build the confidence in Sally also, but she's there now. She starts Monday at, Florida Rehabilitation Specialists, LLC in Lady Lake. Good luck to you, and your new knee

eweissenbach 08-03-2013 09:02 AM

Wow Bare, sounds as though you have been through the mill! Hopefully the replacements are completely successful as you need good legs to run from Fireboy :22yikes: seriously, sounds like the worst is behind you, you deserve all the best. :wave:

ssmith 08-03-2013 01:13 PM

Miss you Bare

Miss you bare on this forum....get better.

My husands secretary had one done and for a whole year with rehab she was sorry she had it done but then something got better and she is so so glad and so she had the second one done, now time has passed and she is glad she did.....My point? it takes awhile to rehab a knee I guess

Schaumburger 08-03-2013 01:37 PM

Bare, A good friend of mine had a (planned) knee replacement done in January, 2012 and an (unplanned) hip replacement surgery done 8 months later in August of last year. It did take time for recovery, but she is walking so much better than she was this time 2 years ago. In fact we walked all over a flea market one month ago which is something she could not have done 2 years ago. Sometime down the road she is considering getting the other knee replaced, but for now is she doing pretty well.

Keeping my fingers crossed you will be golfing in November. That is only 3 months from now! :wave:

duffysmom 08-03-2013 02:26 PM

Happy to hear that you're doing better, Bare. Keep us posted.

patfla06 08-10-2013 03:23 PM

I didn't have knee replacement, but in 2009 fell and had a tibia plateau
Fracture. Was in a wheelchair for 3 plus months.
Having gone through that gives me so much sympathy for your
Knee replacements and pain.

Physical therapists are fabulous but while you are going through the
Therapy they are NOT your favorite people!

Barefoot 08-10-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patfla06 (Post 723335)
I didn't have knee replacement, but in 2009 fell and had a tibia plateau Fracture. Was in a wheelchair for 3 plus months.
Having gone through that gives me so much sympathy for your Knee replacements and pain. Physical therapists are fabulous but while you are going through the Therapy they are NOT your favorite people!

Ouch, that sounds even more painful than a knee replacement.

I am now beginning Month two after surgery. As well as still being painful, it is so boring! And it will be at least another two weeks before I can drive. I now have pain Meds that let me sleep at night which is a huge improvement. I took the advice of someone who PMed me, and every night I massage Vitamin E into my scar. It really helps.

Pat, you are right about the physiotherapist not being my favorite person. I couldn't possibly do the therapy (breaking through scar tissue) without drugs, yet I have to force myself to take the drugs because it feels so wrong. My range of motion is improving and I can walk, but slowly. I use a cane, not because I need it, but it's like a security blanket. I feel I should be doing much better, but the physiotherapist says she is happy with my progress.

This surgery has given me new sympathy for those people who have to live with chronic pain. There are so many people living with medical challenges. I just had two friends diagnosed with Parkinson's. We are all so blessed to be living in a wonderful retirement community. Every day is a gift.

patfla06 08-10-2013 08:34 PM

Barefoot- I hope each day is better then the day before.
Just think about when it's time to come back to T.V. with
New knees and how much better you will eventually feel.

Wishing you well in your recovery!