Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Move files from one laptop to another? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/move-files-one-laptop-another-318916/)

bobdeb 04-23-2021 07:24 AM

Move files from one laptop to another?

Any suggestions regarding moving a large number of files from an older laptop to newer?

I've considered using a thumb drive but is there a better method?

Is it possible to maintain directories?

Not Apple if that matters.

Thanks much in advance.

retiredguy123 04-23-2021 07:59 AM

In my opinion, using a thumb drive is the best and easiest way to do it. You can copy everything from one laptop directory to the thumb drive and then copy it into the same directory on the other laptop. You can buy a thumb drive with up to 1TB of storage data.

Windows used to have a special transfer program, but I think they discontinued it with Windows 10. Note that, if you are trying to transfer software programs, you may need to reinstall the program onto the new laptop. The thumb drive will copy the software files, but the program may not operate without inputting a "product key".

Road-Runner 04-23-2021 08:18 AM

Another option is email them to yourself as attachments. I've gone so far as to remove the drive from an older (sometimes broken) laptop and use a drive cable with a USB plug on the other end and just plug it into the side of the new laptop. At that point it acts like an external drive with all directories etc. in place. It's fairly easy to copy in bulk at that point. Cables are less than $10 on
Ebay. Good luck.

tophcfa 04-23-2021 08:28 AM

A thumb drive would work fine. A portable external hard drive would be easier but more costly if you don’t already own one. I remember when thumb drives first came out, many brands came with a large attached necklace type of band. All the actuaries at work wore them around their necks, so we called them geek sticks.

Marathon Man 04-23-2021 08:39 AM

I connected my laptops together and transferred the files. Took a while, but I could walk away while it was in progress. Just Google it to learn how.

Malsua 04-23-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdeb (Post 1933990)
Any suggestions regarding moving a large number of files from an older laptop to newer?

Thanks much in advance.

Hook both to your network router with hard lines, create a folder on the newer machine, share it to the network and drag/drop from the older to the newer.

Most routers are 1gbit interfaces, most modern NICs(network cards) support 1gbit so in effect you will transfer probably about as fast as the destination drive can write files.

Doing it over wifi you're going to take a fairly big performance hit but it'll still work, just take longer.

You can probably hook both machines directly together, assuming both nics can auto-negotiate crossover or you have a crossover cable but it requires setting the IP numbers and a couple other things. Doable, but would be frustrating if you have no idea what I just said. Easier to just hook both to the router.

retiredguy123 04-23-2021 09:08 AM

The OP wants a better method than using a thumb drive. How is using cables, a cloud drive, or a router better than a thumb drive? To me, the thumb drive or other external hard drive is the safest and easiest way to go.

Malsua 04-23-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1934076)
The OP wants a better method than using a thumb drive. How is using cables, a cloud drive, or a router better than a thumb drive? To me, the thumb drive or other external hard drive is the safest and easiest way to go.

Speed for one thing. Thumb drives, specially USB2.0 only drives are SLOW writing files. Even USB 3.0 thumb drives are slow when it comes to writing lots of tiny files. If you have a performance 3.0 thumb drive, this is much less of an issue.

I don't see how using a network is worse than using sneaker net. You're not using a thumb drive to view this post are you? Networks exist to share data. Thumb drives exist to store data.

Arctic Fox 04-23-2021 09:27 AM

Use a thumb drive then you automatically have a "safety" back-up of those files if your new laptop HD crashes

To save a bit of time (if your files are spread about) you could collate them into one file on your current laptop then just copy that to your thumb drive. Easy to walk away and let the copying take place while you grab lunch.

retiredguy123 04-23-2021 09:46 AM

I doubt that many people have two extra ethernet cables, or are even familiar with how to share a folder with a network. But, most people know how to copy files to a thumb drive. No cables needed, and so what if it takes a while for the files to copy. If you already have a cloud drive and are familiar with using it, that may be another option.

champion6 04-23-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks much in advance.

I am serious when I say, "Google it." You will get step-by-step help.

And yes you can maintain directories.

Good luck!

Pinball wizard 04-23-2021 10:11 AM

I agree that a thumb drive or external hard drive is the easiest way to do the transfer. Even if it takes a while, just walk away and come back later.

Keep in mind that you may have to copy different folders (directories).

Folders to check
Desktop (if you keep files here)
Documents
Downloads
Favorites
Music
Pictures
Videos
Contacts

paulat585 04-23-2021 10:42 AM

I just did this using Dell's Migrate program. Other manufacturers may have something similar. Cost $49 and their techs were available to assist online. Took a couple hours to transfer more than 18k files. I had also created a thumb drive backup in case things got wacky. Transferred all my passwords, etc. I only had to reinstall 2 proprietary programs. I am no techie. Whew.

elsamms 04-23-2021 11:01 AM

PC Mover Available - Unopened software

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased “PC Mover” by Lap Link when I bought my new laptop but have not used it because I set up “One Drive” to go from one computer the other. That worked for my needs.

Boxed product is opened. Cost $39.99 from Amazon but will sell if you could use it for $20. It is sealed in box. See link for product information.

https://www.amazon.com/Laplink-PCmover-Ultimate-10-Use/dp/B008MR37XK[/IMG]

Weiserj 04-23-2021 11:09 AM

I just bought a portable hard drive that I plug into my laptop and store all my documents/pictures on. I store nothing on the laptop hard drive any more. Easy Peasy..I think I paid $80 and more storage than I will ever use!

Marathon Man 04-23-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1934106)
I doubt that many people have two extra ethernet cables, or are even familiar with how to share a folder with a network. But, most people know how to copy files to a thumb drive. No cables needed, and so what if it takes a while for the files to copy. If you already have a cloud drive and are familiar with using it, that may be another option.

The OP asked for an alternative to using a thumb drive. Some of us answered his question. NO need to debate.

Dana1963 04-23-2021 11:36 AM

Transfer files windows

Quote:

Thanks much in advance.

Found this on GOOGLE How to Transfer Your Files to Windows 10 - dummies
CONFIDENCE

kathyspear 04-23-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsamms (Post 1934151)
I purchased “PC Mover” by Lap Link when I bought my new laptop but have not used it because I set up “One Drive” to go from one computer the other. That worked for my needs.

Boxed product is opened. Cost $39.99 from Amazon but will sell if you could use it for $20. It is sealed in box. See link for product information.

This.

kathy

elsamms 04-23-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Meant to state that the PC Mover box is UNOPENED! Still sealed in original box. Not used!

bobdeb 04-23-2021 04:17 PM

I'm beyond impressed with the suggestions. I'm leaning towards using a thumb drive as I have one already and the technology is low level.

Interesting that I worked in high tech for 36 years and hold a patent for Linux testing. Managed software engineering groups worldwide but I'm severely limited with pc technology. Had a pc issue, called IT support... augh...

Yes, started as a software engineer before going over to the 'dark side'. i.e. management.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-23-2021 07:32 PM

Save everything to the Cloud, then you can use the files on any device that has internet access. You can download any of those files as needed and save them directly to your hard drive or a thumb drive when you want to, but they'll be there in the Cloud if you just need to "use" them and "put them back."

CoachKandSportsguy 04-23-2021 07:58 PM

We use drop box and one drive from microsoft

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1934311)
Save everything to the Cloud, then you can use the files on any device that has internet access. You can download any of those files as needed and save them directly to your hard drive or a thumb drive when you want to, but they'll be there in the Cloud if you just need to "use" them and "put them back."

Agree, just use a long and different password

tech guy

Shoogley 04-24-2021 04:45 AM

Icloud storage

Use cloud storage to get it wherever you are

CJMarwal 04-24-2021 05:20 AM

You could create a free Dropbox account. You can drag or save files to it and access them from any machine. I use it often to transport files between my work and home pc's.

spinner1001 04-24-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks much in advance.

The size of your files may be more important than the number of files. If you have files of a total size larger than your thumb drive capacity, you would need to use the thumb drive several times (i.e., move some of the files to the new computer, delete those files from the thumb, repeat). If you already have a cloud storage account such as OneDrive or Google Drive, that would be somewhat simpler and perhaps more reliable depending on the total size of your files. But if you don't already have a cloud account, I suggest sticking with the thumb drive for simplicity in using what you already have.

Also, if you already have an online backup service such as Carbonite, you might be able to restore files backed up online to your new computer.

And, yes, I believe you will be able to maintain your directory structure from what you described.

mlmarr1 04-24-2021 05:55 AM

You breakwefix on wedegewood..close to Culver's dose a wonderful job...

RoadToad 04-24-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner1001 (Post 1934365)
But if you don't already have a cloud account, I suggest sticking with the thumb drive for simplicity in using what you already have.

It takes about 90 seconds to create a "cloud account" if you don't have one.
Go to Google; create an account; that is your credentials for email and cloud storage.
Signin, open "Google Drive"; copy all files into it; go to other computer; signin using same credentialsd; copy files onto new computer.
DONE!:a040:

If you already have a Gmail account, then you have Google Drive whether you know it or not.
Google, read, do.....Easy Peasy

Prism 04-24-2021 06:19 AM

Whoa, all this talk about thumb drives and cables and cloud transfer. There's a simple, safe, fast, easy way: use a solid state drive, maybe 2 or 3 terabytes depending on the size of your files - 2 is a lot. Plug it into the USB port, open the folder containing the docs you want to transfer; then open the SSD drive. Copy and paste. SSD drives are fast. Then just leave the docs on the SSD for backup; you'll have plenty of room. You could also save several thousand photos on that drive; great for backup of all things.

Once you've used a SSD you'll not go back to antediluvian flash drives or old fashioned externals that are prone to failure.

jedalton 04-24-2021 06:21 AM

use idrive, it backs up everything. Have used it for 4 years. have to subscribe but well worth it.
Online Cloud Backup and Storage | IDrive(R)

JoelJohnson 04-24-2021 06:32 AM

This is one of the many reasons I use a Chromebook. All my files are on the cloud and I buy as much cloud storage as I want. I never have to worry about getting a virus, if my Chromebook breaks, all I have to do buy a new one and just log on, it all comes back. If I'm writing the "great American Novel" and I'm about to enter the last letter and it breaks, again, I buy a new one and everything is there, right up to the last letter I entered. Anything I can't d on my Chromebook I use a Linux Mint PC. I haven't needed Windows for the past 3 years.

Sandy and Ed 04-24-2021 06:35 AM

Have done. Works. Better to just buy external and also use as a backup after files are moved. I have SSD and use external to house most of my filets

J1ceasar 04-24-2021 06:38 AM

A lot of good answers involving cables Wi-Fi or directories. In my opinion you should already be backing it up if you use Google ever to free g drive in the cloud. Then very simply log on to your new computer with your same credentials and go to g-drive and download and walk away. It'll be done in a few minutes or a little longer depending on how much you have and look exactly the same as your other computer, excluding programs and software of course. However if you want to use your old software that's another matter and it depends strictly on how it was installed and registration keys. Then you want a cloning software program which may or may not work for all of your programs and software

NoMo50 04-24-2021 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed (Post 1934389)
Have done. Works. Better to just buy external and also use as a backup after files are moved. I have SSD and use external to house most of my filets

How do you get those steaks into the drive?!!

sasman29 04-24-2021 06:48 AM

copy files

Best way is to connect PCs via network either hardwire or wireless.
Windows does include required software
Another way would be to Google Drive or microsoft One Drive.

tjsolomon 04-24-2021 07:15 AM

I bought new laptops a couple of months ago and used thumb drives to move a lot of data over including my itunes library, photos and other documents and spreadsheets. You need to figure out how much data you have so you can purchase the right size thumb drive and then move the data. I did computer support for 30 years and there are other ways to move data, but the thumb drive will also provide a backup if you run into problems with the new laptop.

retiredguy123 04-24-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadToad (Post 1934373)
It takes about 90 seconds to create a "cloud account" if you don't have one.
Go to Google; create an account; that is your credentials for email and cloud storage.
Signin, open "Google Drive"; copy all files into it; go to other computer; signin using same credentialsd; copy files onto new computer.
DONE!:a040:

If you already have a Gmail account, then you have Google Drive whether you know it or not.
Google, read, do.....Easy Peasy

I agree that Google Drive is a good way to store data in the cloud. But, Google Drive only provides 15GB of free storage. If you want more than that, you need to pay for a subscription. You can buy a thumb drive with as much permanent storage as you want, up to 1TB.

Prism 04-24-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1934432)
I agree that Google Drive is a good way to store data in the cloud. But, Google Drive only provides 15GB of free storage. If you want more than that, you need to pay for a subscription. You can buy a thumb drive with as much permanent storage as you want, up to 1TB.

That’s a good option too, but the 15gb is limiting, yes. I’m a fan of SSD external drives, after flash drive failures - even when using the “eject” feature which should protect the flash drive/thumb drive.

BetsyMae 04-24-2021 08:04 AM

I do it the old fashioned way. Don't mess with it and get frustrated. Call a professional I have used JonTownsend for years and he is good and reasonable. He synced my desktop and laptop together. I use my preferred desktop at home and my laptop for my real estate work with ReMax Premier. So he can certainly easily fix your problem. Jon-352-638-2348.
Betsy Lucsay
815-355-1740

SeaCros 04-24-2021 08:37 AM

You can move them to the “Cloud”

Scorpyo 04-24-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

I used PC Mover to move my files and more importantly, my programs from my Windows 7 laptop to my new Windows 10 laptop. The program is a little complicated to use. It did not move the most important program, namely my Microsoft Office program. This was my primary objective in getting this program. So, that was a disappointment. It did, however, move other programs which made up for the cost. So, overall for me, it was worth the cost.
If I wasn't concerned about moving the programs I would have simply used an external hard drive. As a previous poster indicated not only will it move the files it will also be a backup unto itself.