Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Comfortable Distance in a Golf Cart? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/comfortable-distance-golf-cart-284013/)

Kenswing 02-02-2019 08:56 PM

Comfortable Distance in a Golf Cart?

What do you guys consider a comfortable distance to travel in a golf cart? 2 miles? Five? Ten? At what point do you say heck with it and hop in the car?

golf2140 02-02-2019 09:41 PM

I have had days that we have traveled 30 to 40 miles

B-flat 02-02-2019 09:45 PM

We regularly travel from the north end at Mulberry Grove to Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter approximately 7 to 8 miles. A couple of times we have also traveled to Brownwood which takes about an hour. I don’t remember the distance. We are comfortable with those distances. I don’t ever see us driving via the golf cart to Fenney once it’s connected with Brownwood. As it is from where we are located it’s a 25 mile one way trip via 301, then to 44.

Nucky 02-02-2019 09:54 PM

No limit on the number of miles for me during anytime that will ensure me that I get home in NOTHING but daylight. The Comfort time for my wife is about an hour. She has been talking about getting an Atomic Cart. That may increase her comfortable traveling distance. We’ll see. You guys are going to be a great addition to The Villages!

JoMar 02-02-2019 10:45 PM

One of the critical things you need to consider is the best seats you can get....that will make any distance so much more comfortable. Everything else will be personal choice, self canceling turn signals, tilt wheel, heater, music, electric or gas....all personal additions.

charmed59 02-02-2019 10:58 PM

I live near Palmer Country Club, and I will take a golf cart to any golf cart accessible course. I will drive to rec centers south of 466A if the weather is too cold or time is too tight, but otherwise take a cart. To get to Spanish Springs we always take a cart, even if its cold. To Lake Sumter a cart is super fast, so if we aren’t walking or biking we take the cart. If the weather is really nice, and we have time, we take carts to Brownwood, but usually we drive.

Taking a cart make errands a fun trip rather than a drag. When they get the bridge over the turnpike I will drive my cart down there at least once.

Nucky 02-03-2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1621486)
What do you guys consider a comfortable distance to travel in a golf cart? 2 miles? Five? Ten? At what point do you say heck with it and hop in the car?

K-Man, I don't know if you can make it from the West Coast to Brownwood! :boom: That's really a rough trip especially in one particular type of Golf Cart! :ohdear:

Are the Carts out by you guys Low Riders with Spinners and all playing Santana?? Just wondering??

fw102807 02-03-2019 07:10 AM

We use it whenever we are on Villages roads. When it is cold we just zip it up and wear a coat. As someone else mentioned we do have the upgraded adjustable seats (but no nitro)

Bay Kid 02-03-2019 07:11 AM

Wherever I go I use the cart. No car. Nice seats are important and gas.

DonH57 02-03-2019 08:57 AM

I'll go as far as possible in a cart. Since I don't restrict my schedule it's pretty much anywhere in the villages.

karostay 02-03-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 1621559)
I'll go as far as possible in a cart. Since I don't restrict my schedule it's pretty much anywhere in the villages.

I'll second that...:bigbow:

Yes, there are idiots to avoid while driving in a golf cart.
But far more in a car some drivers think their either a Formula 1 driver in roundabouts or a NHRA driver when the gate arm rises

dewilson58 02-03-2019 09:14 AM

Just got back from Disney. Just over 2.5 hours.

A lot of honking and waving...........just a lot of friendly people in Florida.

collie1228 02-03-2019 09:18 AM

I don't measure it by miles, but I know that more than thirty minutes straight in a golf cart is too much for me. From our home near Spanish Springs, the trip to Belle Glade is approximately 35 minutes by golf cart, and that is as far as I ever go in the cart.

tophcfa 02-03-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1621529)
Wherever I go I use the cart. No car. Nice seats are important and gas.

Agree, a gas cart with good aftermarket seats has no limits within the Villages (Brownwood to Orange Blossem or Mulbury).

Fraugoofy 02-03-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1621528)
We use it whenever we are on Villages roads. When it is cold we just zip it up and wear a coat. As someone else mentioned we do have the upgraded adjustable seats (but no nitro)

The only nitro I use is in my beer...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

EdFNJ 02-03-2019 10:31 AM

We take our GC every place we go in T.V. from one end to the other. The only time we don't use it is if we have to leave the bubble. Moved down here 2 years ago and put maybe 4000 miles on our CAR and close to 12000 on our GC. It is air conditioned, heated (rarely need to use those features) wipers, power windows and Sirius XM (as well as street legal so we can get to some areas we can't without SL but rarely need that) there is pretty much no where we cannot go EXCEPT FOR LOWE'S MALL on 466A. No way to get there yet. From one end of T.V, to the other (not yet including Fenney) doesn't take us that much longer than driving and we enjoy the ride. Looking forward to taking the ride to Fenney soon. We can ALMOST but not quite get there now. :D We get 70-75 miles on a charge (factory lithium batteries) so we have plenty of range.

EdFNJ 02-03-2019 10:33 AM

HAHA! But soon, if T.V. keeps expanding south it may be possible!
Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1621567)
Just got back from Disney. Just over 2.5 hours.

A lot of honking and waving...........just a lot of friendly people in Florida.

Kenswing 02-03-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1621514)
K-Man, I don't know if you can make it from the West Coast to Brownwood! :boom: That's really a rough trip especially in one particular type of Golf Cart! :ohdear:

Are the Carts out by you guys Low Riders with Spinners and all playing Santana?? Just wondering??

You have us confused with the state two doors down.. lol

Kenswing 02-03-2019 11:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Trying to determine where we want to buy and thinking I would HAVE to be close to a town square. I guess that isn't so.

Henryk 02-03-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1621635)
Thanks for all the replies. Trying to determine where we want to buy and thinking I would HAVE to be close to a town square. I guess that isn't so.

My longest trip at the moment is from Hadley to the Savannah rec center for Classical Music club. Nearly 7.5 miles and a very enjoyable ride.
BUY EXCELLENT SEATS. Pricy, but well worth it. I put on roughly 100 miles a month.

BobnBev 02-03-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1621496)
No limit on the number of miles for me during anytime that will ensure me that I get home in NOTHING but daylight. The Comfort time for my wife is about an hour. She has been talking about getting an Atomic Cart. That may increase her comfortable traveling distance. We’ll see. You guys are going to be a great addition to The Villages!

I looked at the atomic cart yesterday. Very comfortable and loaded with extras that you wouldn't believe. The only drawback I could see was a max of 80 miles on a single charge, and that was not using any of the accessories, ie: a/c or heat--headlights--power windows--radio, etc. Very reasonable priced, also.

karostay 02-03-2019 01:25 PM

What is the estimated cost of replacing batteries when the time comes?

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-03-2019 01:54 PM

I'd want to take a golf cart as the primary source of transportation. For me, that's the whole point of building a "golf cart community." In my fantasy world, cars would be restricted to moving in and moving out, and garages would be placed outside on the community perimeter and not allowed in any other time.

Of course that'd mean it would need to be a much smaller community, because at the Villages now, it can take more than an hour to get from point A to point B in a golf cart.

Chi-Town 02-03-2019 03:00 PM

Taking a golf cart from point A to Point B is a large reason why a lot of us moved here. But there is a lot of weaving involved that makes a really long trip less desirable. So my cart driving is limited to about 30 - 40 minutes each way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fw102807 02-03-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1621635)

We are situated just north of LSL which gives us easy access to all 3 squares and everything in between by golf cart and is the reason we selected that location.

Topspinmo 02-03-2019 08:28 PM

My back will only take so much pounding crossing the street drains and speed bumps. So about 5 miles one way enough for me, unless I have no other transportation options

Greenbaygirl 02-03-2019 08:47 PM

Weather permitting I go just about everywhere in my golf cart. In the high season I tend to avoid the Morse Avenue (north of 466) and the strip malls on 441. The traffic is just too scary. Golf carting is a great way to see The Villages!

rjm1cc 02-03-2019 09:10 PM

I prefer the golf cart almost indecently of the weather. I can get where ever I want to go with 2 or three miles or 15 minutes. I could see driving 30 minutes but that could be a problem in the cold or rain. So I would say 15 minute drive is preferred

Bay Kid 02-04-2019 09:03 AM

I get +50 miles per gallon, fresh air and great views by cart.

VillageIdiots 02-04-2019 09:18 AM

Highly dependent on weather and how the cart is equipped. We first moved here into a rental that included a cart, but it had the original seats. The very first week I found a used Yamaha that had the high end adjustable seats with armrests. The seats make a huge difference. After riding the rental cart for 20 to 30 minutes, I felt like I needed to get off and rest. The cart with the upgraded seats I sometimes feel I could ride it all day and be comfortable. I would ride from most anywhere in TV to anywhere else in TV by cart as long as travel time is not an issue, and that includes once they open up the trails and bridges to/from the Southern Oaks area.

EdFNJ 02-04-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1621661)
I looked at the atomic cart yesterday. Very comfortable and loaded with extras that you wouldn't believe. The only drawback I could see was a max of 80 miles on a single charge, and that was not using any of the accessories, ie: a/c or heat--headlights--power windows--radio, etc. Very reasonable priced, also.

You probably won't get 80 miles. Maybe if you push it, 70 which is PLENTY because how often do you drive that far in a day? When you get home just plug it in. I get (an interpolated) 60-65 WITH HEAT or A/C but only on long enough to just take off the chill with the power windows up. I once pushed it until I had to be towed (duhhh) to see and I got just over 70. Just think, a $120,000 Tesla only gets 300 or so. :)

The ODOMETER is in Kilometers not miles which most owners don't realize and they didn't mention. So if it says 100 traveled that's really a little over 60 miles. When I bought I was told "someone said they got 150 miles." Even if it was 150KM it was 90 miles and from my experience I doubt that. I put all those statistics in with "car salesman facts."

That being said we absolutely love it. I have had 2 of them. The original coupe (reg AGM batteries) for 18mos and 10,000 miles and now the "Zipper" with lithium.

Brawnwy123 02-04-2019 11:25 AM

Carts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1621486)

We have only one car, one cart, two bikes. Some, many, have two cars, two golf carts, and a pickup in the driveway. Take a look at the traffic. Our 3 and 1/2 year old car has 900 miles on it.
Yep it can be done and none of them sit outside.
Take a look at what this does to the neighborhood. How many vehicles have to be sitting around outside.??? Please pardon the rant.
:bigbow:

fw102807 02-04-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1621661)

To us that kind of defeats the fun of having a golf cart.

coffeebean 02-05-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1621773)
My back will only take so much pounding crossing the street drains and speed bumps. So about 5 miles one way enough for me, unless I have no other transportation options

We outfitted our cart with upgraded bucket seats which have wonderful lumbar supports and comfortable arm rests. Bucket seats were a must for me as I'm short and could not easily reach the pedals. The lumbar support is an added bonus which was worth every penny for those seats.

IndianaJones 02-05-2019 08:10 AM

What Jo-Mar said - we've found the seats are the real difference maker. Good, quality bucket seats with plenty of cushion make for an easy trip, no matter how far you go. In a golf cart, the seats are really your shocks - keep that in mind!!

JoelJohnson 02-05-2019 08:40 AM

The way I describe how far you can go with an electric golf cart is, with new batteries I can go from Country Club Hills to Brownwood, drive around down there and drive back without a problem. After a year, I can go to Brownwood, drive around a little bit and make it back. After 2 years I can drive to Brownwood and maybe make it back. 3 years, maybe get Brownwood, but not make it back. 4 years, not even make it to Brownwood. 5 years, lucky to make it to Lake Sumpter and back (time for new batteries).

Jim9368 02-05-2019 10:10 AM

We are seasonals and in four winters we put 14,000 miles on our Yamaha gas cart Only way to travel within the Villages

dewilson58 02-05-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelJohnson (Post 1622229)
The way I describe how far you can go with an electric golf cart is, with new batteries I can go from Country Club Hills to Brownwood, drive around down there and drive back without a problem. After a year, I can go to Brownwood, drive around a little bit and make it back. After 2 years I can drive to Brownwood and maybe make it back. 3 years, maybe get Brownwood, but not make it back. 4 years, not even make it to Brownwood. 5 years, lucky to make it to Lake Sumpter and back (time for new batteries).

:bigbow:

Chi-Town 02-05-2019 11:05 AM

My second cart is an older Par Car that brakes and steers like a '54 Chevy and has parking lights for headlights. But with 8 six volt batteries and comfortable seats it makes a really good cart for golf. Quiet and no problem playing any distant course.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Topspinmo 02-05-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1621864)
I get +50 miles per gallon, fresh air and great views by cart.

You must be light foot, I have never got 50 MPG in my EFI golf cart, about 44 best for me