Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Singles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/)
-   -   Potential Single Resident (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/potential-single-resident-349156/)

SunLover24 04-08-2024 04:24 PM

Potential Single Resident

Hi all! Male/54 relocating to Florida this summer and considering the Villages. I visited last weekend and got the tour. Planning to come back down the week of April 15 for a deeper dive. Would appreciate a recommendation on what to see/do while there to get the most immersion possible in the community. Possibly meet some other singles to get their perspective. Any suggestions appreciated!

Smalley 04-08-2024 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunLover24 (Post 2319842)
Hi all! Male/54 relocating to Florida this summer and considering the Villages. I visited last weekend and got the tour. Planning to come back down the week of April 15 for a deeper dive. Would appreciate a recommendation on what to see/do while there to get the most immersion possible in the community. Possibly meet some other singles to get their perspective. Any suggestions appreciated!

You sound serious. If you are considering buying a house or villa here, I would suggest driving the various areas such as historic area, northern, Lake Sumter area and south of 466A and the new southern villages. The object would be to rule in or rule out some areas. As for meeting singles, look at the weekly rec section that comes out on Thursday and look in the back for the list of singles clubs. That would be a start. Good luck! Lots of singles residents here!

retiredguy123 04-08-2024 04:34 PM

I hope you like older women because I don't think you will find many women in your age group. There are lots of widows in their late 60's and 70's, but very few unattached women who are under 60. I would suggest you attend a few singles group activities.

shaw8700@outlook.com 04-08-2024 05:58 PM

Be sure to take a golf cart around Spanish Springs and visit that long stretch of a ride underneath all those oaks and Spanish Moss - beautiful!

Kelevision 04-09-2024 06:08 AM

Quote:

Hi, I’m a 58 yr female and have lived here for 2 years. I bought south of 44. 2 doors down was a 38 year old professional poker player who lived there until she recently sold it. The street over is a pilot in his 40’s. There are also lots of people who are in their 40’s-50’s+ who might be living with older parents to help take care of them. I think most of the younger people live south of 44. It’s very different than the northern parts, which isn’t to say better, just different lifestyles. There are plenty of people to meet and also people from the surrounding towns like Leesburg, Lady Lake, etc who also go to the squares. I mean the owner of TV daughter Paige Boone used to be married to a local Leesburg guy. A lawyer friend of mine from Leesburg is 56 and she lives in TV. There are facebook groups and clubs for people born in the 60’s-70’s. Though you’re coming at a strange time in that lots of folks have started to head back to their other home for the summer so it might be a little slower.

JoelJohnson 04-09-2024 06:53 AM

There are a few north of 466.

ThirdOfFive 04-09-2024 07:10 AM

Try City Fire.

A 10-foot pole is recommended.

Stu from NYC 04-09-2024 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2319983)
Try City Fire.

A 10-foot pole is recommended.

City Fire is the place, buy a round for the house and you will get very popular.

Go visit the squares and talk to people.

rabranca@aol.com 04-10-2024 04:22 AM

I moved here at 53, single female

I moved at 53 back in 2020, single female. Lots of groups on facebook.

50 Something in The Villages
Gen X 60’s - 70’s - Villages South of 44
Born In the 1960's The Villages Florida
Singles in The Villages

All more women then men.

I also have a rental in Village of Richmond, 5 min cart ride to Brownwood Paddock Square. Awesome location and very social village if interested in renting before buying. Rent From A Villager | Rental Homes in The Villages Florida | Advertise Your Village Rental

bowlingal 04-10-2024 06:12 AM

Sunlover....you need about a month here to get the full scope of what's offered. also, several singles groups to join and also groups from your home area to join. districtgov.org in the recreation tab is a good place to start. Also, join Nextdoor.com for great references and advise and recommendations

SheriW 04-10-2024 06:35 AM

There are literally dozens of singles clubs. I think one of the biggest is SITV - Single in the Villages. Every area has a singles club, every big sport (golf, pickleball, etc...) has a singles club, churches have singles clubs. There are allot of us. A HUGE misconception is that the singles and young people are mostly down south. The northern area (north of 466) is now turning over from the original residents passing away or moving into assisted living, and guess who is buying? People in their 50s and early 60s. Go to the squares, participate in as many activities as you can, get out and talk to people. Do not listen to Village sales agents. And if you are unfamiliar with central Florida and the Villages, you need ALLOT longer than a weekend. Have fun!!

coleprice 04-10-2024 06:42 AM

Golfers Should Buy Pre-Owned Home in North & Middle of TV

Quote:

If you are a Golfer shopping for a home in The Villages, you should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which have very few Executive Golf Courses. Rather, you should buy a Pre-Owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of golf courses nearby.

La lamy 04-10-2024 06:55 AM

I'm in the historic section and there are more and more of us who are younger. Much cheaper homes are available and fun to renovate if you're into that. Enjoy your adventure. It's awesome here.

MandoMan 04-10-2024 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2319847)
I hope you like older women because I don't think you will find many women in your age group. There are lots of widows in their late 60's and 70's, but very few unattached women who are under 60. I would suggest you attend a few singles group activities.

True. And in my experience, those on online dating sites who say they are 58 are often ten years older but imagine they look 58. I’ve heard that the singles clubs can provide good companionship, but generally not people your age. “Young stuff” that shows up there can receive a lot of attention, but often from people your parents’ age. Late night at City Fire is said to be the “singles bar” in The Villages, but that’s not my thing. You are more likely to find people close to your age buying new houses in the Deep South than in the North, but most that age are married. If you want to golf and play other sports every day, you can find lots of guys around to do that with. You will be welcomed.

Pat2015 04-10-2024 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleprice (Post 2320265)
If you are a Golfer shopping for a home in The Villages, you should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which have very few Executive Golf Courses. Rather, you should buy a Pre-Owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of golf courses nearby.

There will be 4 additional executive courses and 3 additional championship courses within the next 2 years in the southern areas of TV.

Pat2015 04-10-2024 07:30 AM

Quote:

Hi all! Male/54 relocating to Florida this summer and considering the Villages. I visited last weekend and got the tour. Planning to come back down the week of April 15 for a deeper dive. Would appreciate a recommendation on what to see/do while there to get the most immersion possible in the community. Possibly meet

some other singles to get their perspective. Any suggestions appreciated!

I would buy a new home around Eastport as that’s the newest area of TV, and the new square and activities there are going to make it the place to be. People down in the southern end are younger and everyone is brand new looking to make friends and getting involved in activities. Good luck in your search.

CFollansbee 04-10-2024 07:32 AM

So here’s my opinion. You need to decide what are your must haves: new house vs pre-owned (new is in the Deep South of TV where the infrastructure is not what it is north of 44); if you are a golfer you need to stay north of 44 or not more than a mile south of 44 - the number of golf courses south vs north is minimal to the ratio of people; do you want stores (grocery, clothing, house needs) and restaurants readily available to you, again stay north of 44. I don’t have hard facts but it seems to me that the ratio of homes to rec centers is lower in the south also. I would definitely spend some time in all the areas to get a feel of each. They are different! Talk to people and ask what they like about the area they live in. I live in Charlotte, it is about central in TV now and we love the area. Close to shops, rec centers, lots of golf, and the town squares are close.

Many have stated that you want to go south for the younger people. I feel that there are younger people anywhere you go in TV.
As for singles, which I am not, there are many avenues that have been mentioned. I would stick with TV clubs, church groups, etc.

Spend some time traveling around in a car and a golf cart. That will give you an idea of what you like and don’t like. You might need more than a week to have time to really see what we are talking about. Wherever you end up, I wish you the best in finding your forever home and a soulmate if that is what you are looking for.

JanisWard 04-10-2024 08:20 AM

Watch Rusty Nelson videos

Lisanp@aol.com 04-10-2024 08:34 AM

Wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleprice (Post 2320265)

I am SO TIRED of this comment! Why don't you sign up for the Sales Center Trolley Tour and SEE for yourself that you are wrong! Yes, SEE, because the courses are already layed out and are greening in right now and there are 8 courses in the new area coming very very soon.
And guess what else? All the new retail (think Costco, Dicks, etc) is going to be in the Middleton area which is adjacent to the newest Villages because any retailer is going to want to build where there are families spending way more monthly in retail purchases then a couple of retired people.
Pick the place that is right for you, your budget, your interests and your lifestyle but please stop "South Bashing" with completely incorrect information.

JMintzer 04-10-2024 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com (Post 2320329)
I am SO TIRED of this comment! Why don't you sign up for the Sales Center Trolley Tour and SEE for yourself that you are wrong! Yes, SEE, because the courses are already layed out and are greening in right now and there are 8 courses in the new area coming very very soon.
And guess what else? All the new retail (think Costco, Dicks, etc) is going to be in the Middleton area which is adjacent to the newest Villages because any retailer is going to want to build where there are families spending way more monthly in retail purchases then a couple of retired people.
Pick the place that is right for you, your budget, your interests and your lifestyle but please stop "South Bashing" with completely incorrect information.

New Costco rumor!!!

Everybody take a drink! :p

ccrider 04-10-2024 09:22 AM

Potential Single Resident

Many years ago when I was looking for a retirement location, I did a lot of researching on what makes a good retirement community. Almost every research endeavor had the same No.1 item. That item is: The developer builds the community, and GETS OUT! Many of the problems here in TV is because of the greed of the Morse family. Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend anyone coming here.

kkingston57 04-10-2024 09:22 AM

Quote:

Friend of mine had a football party. Had 17 ladies there and 3 men. He was 70 and all of the females were under 60.

Marathon Man 04-10-2024 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccrider (Post 2320351)
Many years ago when I was looking for a retirement location, I did a lot of researching on what makes a good retirement community. Almost every research endeavor had the same No.1 item. That item is: The developer builds the community, and GETS OUT! Many of the problems here in TV is because of the greed of the Morse family. Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend anyone coming here.

Then you know nothing. With the exception of retail developments, the developer does indeed sell everything to the government structure of The Villages and is out.

ThirdOfFive 04-10-2024 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 2320417)
Then you know nothing. With the exception of retail developments, the developer does indeed sell everything to the government structure of The Villages and is out.

Bingo.

Ax-grinders can be found here in TV, just as in every other place.

PurePeach 04-10-2024 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalley (Post 2319844)
You sound serious. If you are considering buying a house or villa here, I would suggest driving the various areas such as historic area, northern, Lake Sumter area and south of 466A and the new southern villages. The object would be to rule in or rule out some areas. As for meeting singles, look at the weekly rec section that comes out on Thursday and look in the back for the list of singles clubs. That would be a start. Good luck! Lots of singles residents here!

The section referred to here is a “magazine” that can be picked up in any rec center, not just in the Thursday paper.

JMintzer 04-10-2024 02:55 PM

Quote:

GREED!!! Everybody drink!

Randall55 04-10-2024 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 2320417)

Somewhat true. The developer keeps building and continues to call his new development THE VILLAGES. He is not out! He still has a great influence especially in the arena of home pricing. Read the Daily Sun? Controlling what is written about the Villages is not a developer who has left and moved on!

Back to the OP. There are many singles in the Villages. No matter which Village you choose, you will not be the only one.

Papa_lecki 04-10-2024 07:45 PM

Quote:

What are all these problems of which you speak?

jimdecastro 04-11-2024 05:25 AM

Quote:

OP, LISTEN TO HIM. I know 3 single guys in their mid-50s that moved because they could not find anyone under 65 - and most were in their 70s. But if you do come here, look near Eastport. The people South of 44 are generally younger and that area will be hopping. Plus, near the turnpike makes you 40 minutes to Orlando.

MrFlorida 04-11-2024 09:15 AM

Put a loofah on your golf cart. They will follow you home.

Jim1mack 04-11-2024 11:18 AM

Before you settle on a location check the location and the ease of access to shopping ie grocery, gas, health, restaurants and such. We're glad we chose easy and short distance access to these and amenities as well. Especially for golf if you golf. The southern villages pretty much lacks all of this but they do have more varied aminities.

mraines 04-11-2024 11:41 AM

Quote:

Not true. My daughter is in his age group and has met many others through pickleball and the gym and just walking her dog.

Stu from NYC 04-11-2024 11:47 AM

I have heard that taking out a billfold with lots of dollars will attract a certain type of female/

NorineBerlinski 04-15-2024 07:07 AM

I am a single 60-year-old female, but I’m told I look more like 50. I’ve been in The villages for two years now and I live in the original Orange Blossom area. Not sure what the facts are, but here is my opinion: I would guess the people in my area are average age of near 80 years old. as you move further south, the people get younger. My hobby is real estate so I enjoy doing the research. I have bought a lot and am building a house in the new Eastport area. I’ve met With my new neighbors once and they are around 55 years old. I think we’re all old people, but I would prefer to live with the younger old people in the south. From what I’ve seen over the last two years 80% of the people in the villages are married or living together. There’s not a lot of singles, especially in the late 50s age group. There are definitely more single women than men. You probably have a ratio of one to 10, which is good for you. God sent me wonderful man who is 68 yrs old and we’re getting married late summer and living in Moultrie Creek. My advice is to move to the new Eastport area where the younger people are.

Two Bills 04-15-2024 07:12 AM

I would stay single, but available, and let all the widows feed me.

Topspinmo 05-05-2024 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2320520)
What are all these problems of which you speak?

Some can’t see forest for all the tree’s until they put their glasses on….:$:

Topspinmo 05-05-2024 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2320723)
I have heard that taking out a billfold with lots of dollars will attract a certain type of female/

Or pass acid/joint/pills/meth…..:ho:

Topspinmo 05-05-2024 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2321735)
I would stay single, but available, and let all the widows feed me.

Especially if you can repair garage and windows :ohdear:

bmcgowan13 05-05-2024 05:27 PM

"Potential Single Resident"...

Quote:

LOL. You are moving into a community where the minimum age for admission is 55...

We are all "potential single residents!" LOL

Mr. SunLover--COME ON DOWN!

Shipping up to Boston 05-05-2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 (Post 2328610)
LOL. You are moving into a community where the minimum age for admission is 55...

We are all "potential single residents!" LOL

Mr. SunLover--COME ON DOWN!

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite lines in the movie Blazing Saddles.....”Where the white women at”!!