Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   World of Beer Strange Policy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/world-beer-strange-policy-279023/)

retiredguy123 12-04-2018 01:30 PM

World of Beer Strange Policy

Went to World of Beer in Brownwood with 3 other people last night for the 5 dollar burgers. The guy told us that there would be a 20-30 minute wait. I noticed that there were 3 empty tables in the dining area and another 3 in the bar area. So, I said that we would buy drinks at the bar and sit in the bar area until we could be served. He told us that we could not sit at a table in the bar, and that we had to leave the restaurant until he called us on the phone. Does anyone think this is a good policy for a restaurant to have? They would have made more money on the drinks than the 5 dollar burgers.

VillageIdiots 12-04-2018 01:37 PM

There is a detail or two missing here or something strange was going on. How does a "World" of beer discourage people from going to the bar?

retiredguy123 12-04-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillageIdiots (Post 1604732)
There is a detail or two missing here or something strange was going on. How does a "World" of beer discourage people from going to the bar?

No details missing. He said we could sit at the bar, but there were no seats available. We could not sit at a table in the bar, even though there were 3 empty high tables.

rivaridger1 12-04-2018 01:55 PM

Sometimes I find it amazing the number of people employed in the " hospitality business " that have never looked up the Webster's definition of hospitality.

VillageIdiots 12-04-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1604735)
No details missing. He said we could sit at the bar, but there were no seats available. We could not sit at a table in the bar, even though there were 3 empty high tables.

All I can think of, then, is that they had the number of tables available that they had staff to cover and were not sitting people at tables because of a short staff. A little strange, maybe, but there may be a corporate policy that they can only commit a certain number of tables per wait staff to ensure customer service.

billethkid 12-04-2018 02:09 PM

I would have thought the question would have been with 6 empty tables why the half hour wait?

retiredguy123 12-04-2018 02:14 PM

I agree. Obviously, they were short on wait staff. But, I am sure that the bartender would have wanted a tip had I been allowed to pick up the drinks at the bar. Good bartenders seem to be able to handle a lot of business when they need to.

dewilson58 12-04-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1604743)
I would have thought the question would have been with 6 empty tables why the half hour wait?

BINGO !!!!!

Ask them, not ToTV.

VillageIdiots 12-04-2018 02:43 PM

The question that was asked to TOTV was "Does anyone think this is a good policy for a restaurant to have?", not why. From a business perspective, obviously it's not a good policy. But, having worked for "mother ships" all my career, it doesn't surprise me that they might have a policy that doesn't make sense on its face. My grandmother would have called many of these examples to be "penny wise and pound foolish" and I couldn't even count how many examples of that I have found in my current employment. Another saying that comes to mind around this - "cutting off one's nose despite their face".

graciegirl 12-04-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillageIdiots (Post 1604750)
The question that was asked to TOTV was "Does anyone think this is a good policy for a restaurant to have?", not why. From a business perspective, obviously it's not a good policy. But, having worked for "mother ships" all my career, it doesn't surprise me that they might have a policy that doesn't make sense on its face. My grandmother would have called many of these examples to be "penny wise and pound foolish" and I couldn't even count how many examples of that I have found in my current employment. Another saying that comes to mind around this - "cutting off one's nose despite their face".

Cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

VillageIdiots 12-04-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1604754)
Cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

You're absolutely right. I was actually coming back to this thread to edit my post when I saw your response. Still, maybe not as bad as when people say "for all intensive purposes". :)

graciegirl 12-04-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillageIdiots (Post 1604755)
You're absolutely right. I was actually coming back to this thread to edit my post when I saw your response. Still, maybe not as bad as when people say "for all intensive purposes". :)

You are such a nice person. I have done something to cut off my nose that might spite my face.

Often when I read your posts I shake my head in agreement. You are an addition to this forum and to this town. May you live to be a thousand years old and not suffer being corrected by a silly old lady again.

dewilson58 12-04-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillageIdiots (Post 1604750)

By not asking them, you don't know if it's a policy........or just human error.

champion6 12-04-2018 03:33 PM

Good policy - heck no.

Possible reason - The two Worlds of Beer are owned by the same group that owns Hacienda Hills CC and Glenview CC. These country clubs consistently earn low marks on the this forum.

There is a pattern.

Villagevip 12-04-2018 04:09 PM

Good bartenders take control, make sure everyone in the party is accommodated...This, with a genuine good natured, helpful, deference attitude...Seems, like a rare comity these days, or is it just in The Villages..?

Rapscallion St Croix 12-04-2018 04:11 PM

It is called a "false wait". Why it was employed...dunno.

CWGUY 12-04-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 1604766)
Good policy - heck no.

Possible reason - The two Worlds of Beer are owned by the same group that owns Hacienda Hills CC and Glenview CC. These country clubs consistently earn low marks on the this forum.

There is a pattern.

:eclipsee_gold_cup: And you Sir win the prize! These people don't have a clue. :ohdear:

fishon 12-04-2018 05:16 PM

I've visited World of Beer in Brownwood many times. It has always been a good experience.
May I guess that the management knows what they are doing?
I haven't run a restaurant. I guess you folks have.

CWGUY 12-04-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishon (Post 1604792)
I've visited World of Beer in Brownwood many times. It has always been a good experience.
May I guess that the management knows what they are doing?
I haven't run a restaurant. I guess you folks have.

:icon_wink: Sure. You can guess all you want. I "know" they don't have a clue when it comes to running H.H. or G.V. Don't care for WoB. :ho:

waterlily 12-04-2018 05:27 PM

A number of reasons this could have happened.

- Holding tables in an area together to accomodate a large group requiring more than two+ tables, and you are unsure of which neighboring table is going to "break" next.

- Understaffed. Not having enough employees to cover all the tables in the building. Becoming commonplace in the hospitality industry. Look at the help wanted section on Craigslist or Indeed. EVERY restaurant is hiring.

- "False Wait" Usually employed to allow the kitchen to get caught up as opposed to pushing people to the bar to get drinks. The after effect of that is usually detrimental to the kitchen. When the wait is released, the tables are seated at a controlled pace to not allow the kitchen to get "slammed".

I will bet we will see this more and more in TV as the number of restaurants increases, the amount of available staff decreases, and the lack of restaurants that accept reservations.

EviesGP 12-04-2018 08:42 PM

Intents and purposes

tophcfa 12-04-2018 09:14 PM

Coming from someone who has an undergraduate college degree and lots of experience in the hospitality industry, very bad policy. I have never been impressed with WOB, and have given them multiple chances because I love the concept.

Marathon Man 12-05-2018 07:47 AM

We have seen this question/complaint before. Here is the best answer:

The restaurant is actually doing you a favor. Rather than sitting you at a table knowing that they can not serve you in a timely manor, they are giving you the opportunity to go to another place, or wait where you are.

So, my answer is: Yes, I think it is a good policy.

Topspinmo 12-09-2018 10:18 PM

I’m not one to wait, i’d just to some where else or go home and eat. Good help probably hard to get and keep, not to many restaurants around here I care to go back to.

CFrance 12-09-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillageIdiots (Post 1604755)

Or when my husband, as a boy, sang "One Whore Soap and Sleigh."

Yung Dum 12-09-2018 11:56 PM

Where were you supposed to drink your drinks that you purchased at the bar? Outside? In your car? Take them home? Something here seems amiss.

dillywho 12-10-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1604958)
We have seen this question/complaint before. Here is the best answer:

The restaurant is actually doing you a favor. Rather than sitting you at a table knowing that they can not serve you in a timely manor, they are giving you the opportunity to go to another place, or wait where you are.

So, my answer is: Yes, I think it is a good policy.

They are doing you and themselves a favor by not seating you when the kitchen is possibly behind because of volume and/or complex orders. That would have nothing to do with inadequate wait staff. Some people would complain and give the server a rough time if their meals took too long to get to the table. I have seen people berate the server and leave. Seems like a good solution. Besides, there is plenty of complaining about people here drinking too much, so maybe not sitting them at a table in the bar area is not all that bad.😂

retiredguy123 12-10-2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yung Dum (Post 1606345)
Where were you supposed to drink your drinks that you purchased at the bar? Outside? In your car? Take them home? Something here seems amiss.

We were going to purchase drinks at the bar and carry them to one of the 3 empty tables in the bar area. There were at least 6 empty tables in the restaurant that were not being used for any purpose. We were not in a hurry to eat dinner. But the guy at the front of the restaurant specifically told us that we could not sit at the empty tables, and that we had to leave the building and wait for him to call us on the phone, so that we could come back to the restaurant and eat the 5 dollar burgers. So, we went to the town square and bought drinks at the drink shack, and then the guy called us and we returned to the restaurant and ordered the 5 dollar burgers. The burgers were very good. My only issue is that I have never been asked to leave a restaurant when I was willing to buy drinks, and the place was not even crowded.

xcaligirl 12-10-2018 08:32 AM

It's amazing of the lack of knowledge and they are allowed to even work in the industry!

Chi-Town 12-10-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1604735)

No seats at the bar and you're not allowed to sit at a table that is designated as a dining table? Happens all the time. Saddle up to the bar, order a drink, and find a place to stand until a seat opens at the bar or your reservation is called.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Henryk 12-10-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1606347)
We were going to purchase drinks at the bar and carry them to one of the 3 empty tables in the bar area. There were at least 6 empty tables in the restaurant that were not being used for any purpose. We were not in a hurry to eat dinner. But the guy at the front of the restaurant specifically told us that we could not sit at the empty tables, and that we had to leave the building and wait for him to call us on the phone, so that we could come back to the restaurant and eat the 5 dollar burgers. So, we went to the town square and bought drinks at the drink shack, and then the guy called us and we returned to the restaurant and ordered the 5 dollar burgers. The burgers were very good. My only issue is that I have never been asked to leave a restaurant when I was willing to buy drinks, and the place was not even crowded.

You were kind. I doubt I would have returned. That’s just rude.

Topspinmo 12-10-2018 07:13 PM

All that for 5 dollar hamburger

Viperguy 02-24-2019 08:30 PM

Boy they are slow! Went there tonight with the family. When the food finally made it (45 minutes) it was ok except their WOB Cob. No salad just stuff spread around the plate. Good burgers, flatbread, and chicken nuggets. Another reason to wait for the summer to go out to dinner. Staffing here in the season is terrible. JMHO

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-24-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yung Dum (Post 1606345)

That seems exactly the point. My guess (without checking the state's general statutes): establishments such as WoB must provide seating for anyone purchasing alcohol. Since those vacant seats *in the bar* didn't have a server, your only option would be to not drink and wait right there, or not drink and leave. You can't go sit down at a table at the bar since those seats are not attended (just like you can't go into the dining room and park yourself at a vacant table there, either). If a stool was vacant you'd be welcome to occupy it. But a seat must be available for you to occupy, if you wish to purchase alcohol at that particular type of establishment.

That'd be my guess, anyway.

JimD215 02-24-2019 10:05 PM

I went to Sonnys for dinner with a party of 4. Saw quite a few empty tables. When we went to the hostess we were told that the wait may be half an hour due to the kitchen being backed up. We had the option to leave but waited and were seated within 15 minutes. I would rather they tell me than to just say nothing.

Skip 02-24-2019 10:26 PM

Ring - Ring
[YOU] "Hello!"
[WOB] "Sir, your table is ready now."
[YOU] "OK, I'll be there in about a half hour, I want to finish my beers at City Fire. They're two for one right now. See you later!"
[WOB] "What?"

Skip

JimJohnson 02-25-2019 04:48 AM

Villagers appear to have issue with being told no. I see many posts shaming the bar but no posts pointing out the lack of complete and most likely exaggerated claim. Keep in mind, the 5 dollar hamburger is a WOB perk to the regulars and not a way for someone to get a cheap meal with a glass of water. I’m not saying that is the case hear, but I am saying I find it possible that the OP has left out a few details.

Bill32 03-02-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlily (Post 1604797)
A number of reasons this could have happened.

- Holding tables in an area together to accomodate a large group requiring more than two+ tables, and you are unsure of which neighboring table is going to "break" next.

- Understaffed. Not having enough employees to cover all the tables in the building. Becoming commonplace in the hospitality industry. Look at the help wanted section on Craigslist or Indeed. EVERY restaurant is hiring.

- "False Wait" Usually employed to allow the kitchen to get caught up as opposed to pushing people to the bar to get drinks. The after effect of that is usually detrimental to the kitchen. When the wait is released, the tables are seated at a controlled pace to not allow the kitchen to get "slammed".

I will bet we will see this more and more in TV as the number of restaurants increases, the amount of available staff decreases, and the lack of restaurants that accept reservations.

Right on, sounds like you worked in the industry at one time...

sallybowron 03-02-2019 01:46 PM

We have gone to Bob Evans in Colony and were put on a list being told that it would be 20-3o minutes. There were open tables and sets at the bar. They said they could not staff those areas. I can't figure it out!

Two Bills 03-02-2019 02:35 PM

Same for me.
Got home from golf yesterday, sat at table for lunch.
Wife said sorry no staff available for that table, or in kitchen.
Went to World of Beer, had a $5 burger. Place was empty, service great, very nice server
Offered her a job at my house which she accepted.
Threw wife out. All is good at home now!