Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Villages News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-villages-news-82/)
-   -   Masks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-villages-news-82/masks-312383/)

pirwin 10-24-2020 12:49 PM

Masks

FACT: Cloth masks have been shown to be a significantly effective deterrent to the spread of covid-19. Experts no longer debate this.
Not wearing a mask in public can mean you do not care if you give covid-19 to someone else. That is a personal statement of selfishness. Unless you have already recovered from the virus and tested negative twice, you can have no confidence that you are virus-free, no matter how healthy you feel. Even after recovery, it is not established how long you retain immunity. Thus, you are taking a chance with the lives of those around you, when you do not wear a mask in public and remain within 6 feet of others. The risk is less outdoors where air currents can dissipate virus concentration. However, thinking only of the risk to yourself without concern for the risk you may pose to others is un-American.

ronsroni 10-24-2020 01:00 PM

Damn right! All tough UNTIL they are screaming, "Save Me, Doctor! Please DON'T LET ME DIE" DESPITE how many innocents they contaminate.
All I can say is, "OPEN OR CLOSED CASKET?".

jebartle 10-24-2020 01:15 PM

Unfortunately, wearing a mask has been made the p word!!!!

thelegges 10-25-2020 12:53 PM

How about those on the campaign trail that just tested positive for Covid, that is part of the campaign “ wear a mask protect others.

Taltarzac725 10-25-2020 01:15 PM

This was on Dan Rather's Facebook page today. Or lately. And on his Twitter on October 23, 2020.

Quote:

Dan Rather
@DanRather
·
Oct 23
Mask not what your country. can do for you. Mask is what you can do for your country.

Going My Way 10-25-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1852244)
This was on Dan Rather's Facebook page today. Or lately. And on his Twitter on October 23, 2020.

Quote:
Dan Rather
@DanRather
·
Oct 23
Mask not what your country. can do for you. Mask is what you can do for your country.

If only they would understand and follow the original words to this quote..
In other words get off your FAT A$$ and get a job and stop begging for cheese....

davem4616 10-25-2020 06:57 PM

we wear masks whenever we go out and about, period...even though science clearly tells us that the virus is able to freely pass through any mask

we just don't want to put up with the judgmental stares from the self-righteous if either of us dared to step out in public without a mask

Tblue 10-25-2020 07:08 PM

Just a asking, as anyone given thought to wearing a mask, fiddling with a mask, re-use of a mask, incorrect storage of a mask, improper fit of a mask, Improper disposal of a mask, wearing the mask under your nose, may just lead to spreading of the virus?

Altavia 10-25-2020 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One illustration of the layers of risk reduction. Nothing is perfect.

golfing eagles 10-25-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie0723 (Post 1852355)
One illustration of the layers of risk reduction. Nothing is perfect.

Actually, they should be showing the other end of the horse :1rotfl: :1rotfl: :1rotfl:

Dayeight99 10-25-2020 07:45 PM

You have been bamboozled. Period.

Jerseygirl08 10-25-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayeight99 (Post 1852365)
You have been bamboozled. Period.

Not really! The ones who are afraid of their own shadows without a mask on have been ........... bamboozled, as you said. Masks are now as full of germs as cell phones. And think of this . . . . Oh never mind. This discussion has become totally pointless since this pandemic and mask wearing has become so politicized.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-25-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Going My Way (Post 1852269)
If only they would understand and follow the original words to this quote..
In other words get off your FAT A$$ and get a job and stop begging for cheese....

It didn't mean what you think it meant. And it still doesn't mean that. JFK was referring specifically to public and civic service, not to employment opportunities.

Altavia 10-25-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852362)
Actually, they should be showing the other end of the horse :1rotfl: :1rotfl: :1rotfl:

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-25-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem4616 (Post 1852348)
we wear masks whenever we go out and about, period...even though science clearly tells us that the virus is able to freely pass through any mask

we just don't want to put up with the judgmental stares from the self-righteous if either of us dared to step out in public without a mask

The virus doesn't pass freely through any mask. It is restricted to passing through via moisture droplets. That's why it is important to maintain a social distance WHILE wearing a mask. So that someone else's breath (which contains moisture), sneeze, cough, or spittle when they talk, won't land on the mask.

vintagebob 10-25-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirwin (Post 1851871)
Not wearing a mask in public means you do not care if you give covid-19 to someone else. It is a personal statement of selfishness. Unless you have already recovered from the virus and tested negative twice, you can have no confidence that you are virus-free, no matter how healthy you feel. Even after recovery, it is not established how long you retain immunity. Thus, you are taking a chance with the lives of those around you, when you do not wear a mask in public. That is un-American.

Seriously?

I’ll bet you spent the last 50 years allowing well over a million people to die from the flu and you never wore a mask once.

If you want to mask shame someone, go look in the mirror.

golfing eagles 10-26-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebob (Post 1852396)
Seriously?

I’ll bet you spent the last 50 years allowing well over a million people to die from the flu and you never wore a mask once.

Best response yet.

That doesn't mean not to wear a mask, WHEN APPROPRIATE. It simply means that masks are not required 24/7/365 and therefore if someone is not wearing a mask WHEN IT IS APPROPRIATE TO NOT WEAR A MASK, then the mask fanatics should keep their yaps shut.

stan the man 10-26-2020 10:55 AM

Europe is now in lockdown

Lindsyburnsy 10-26-2020 11:50 AM

I don't recall the "flu" killing over 225,000 people in one year (so far) that it wouldn't cause alarm and cause the government to step in to protect the public. Maybe back in 1918? They started wearing masks then too, once they realized face coverings helped control the pandemic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebob (Post 1852396)
Seriously?

Boomer 10-26-2020 11:56 AM

This is the weirdest time I can remember in my personal memory of history — as a Boomer. I remember almost all of the last half of the last century and, of course, all of this century.

The refusal to do something as simple as putting on a mask, when in public, is trashing the economy. And, yet, the anti-maskers think they are patriotic.

Super-spreader events will not result in every following case being reported so people should not cling to irrational conclusions.

About that temperature-taking thing — sure, it helps, but a lot of it could be mostly theater because a significant percentage of those carrying the virus do not initially run a fever.

I find it mind-boggling that there are people who can cheer on those who constantly let them know that everyday Americans are disposable.

I do understand that the emotional part of the brain can be compromised with some people more than others. . .

(This observation of how our brains can work got me thinking about years ago when I thought I would find out if I could be hypnotized. I can’t.

I also am a tough, often an impossible sell, especially with those “financial guys” who think this ol’ girl does not have a clue.

And back in the old days of drive-in theaters and parking, I never, ever fell for those “You would if you loved me” lines.)

But that’s just how I am and I hope how I will always be.

Just put on the damned mask. Critical thinking concludes that doing so will help the economy.

Boomer

golfing eagles 10-26-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1852631)
This is the weirdest time I can remember in my personal memory of history — as a Boomer. I remember almost all of the last half of the last century and, of course, all of this century.

The refusal to do something as simple as putting on a mask, when in public, is trashing the economy. And, yet, the anti-maskers think they are patriotic.

Super-spreader events will not result in every following case being reported so people should not cling to irrational conclusions.

About that temperature-taking thing — sure, it helps, but a lot of it could be mostly theater because a significant percentage of those carrying the virus do not initially run a fever.

I find it mind-boggling that there are people who can cheer on those who constantly let them know that everyday Americans are disposable.

I do understand that the emotional part of the brain can be compromised with some people more than others. . .

(This observation of how our brains can work got me thinking about years ago when I thought I would find out if I could be hypnotized. I can’t.

I also am a tough, often an impossible sell, especially with those “financial guys” who think this ol’ girl does not have a clue.

And back in the old days of drive-in theaters and parking, I never, ever fell for those “You would if you loved me” lines.)

Just put on the damned mask. Critical thinking concludes that doing so will help the economy.

Boomer

I agree with this post 99.9%. The only part I would edit would be to change the last line to: "Just put on the damned mask." WHEN APPROPRIATE

I think this implied by most people who post "wear a mask", but I've seen plenty of examples of people wearing a mask in absurd situations.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-26-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852707)
I agree with this post 99.9%. The only part I would edit would be to change the last line to: "Just put on the damned mask." WHEN APPROPRIATE

I think this implied by most people who post "wear a mask", but I've seen plenty of examples of people wearing a mask in absurd situations.

The problem with your inclusion of "when appropriate" is that some folks prefer to be the ones deciding what constitutes "appropriate" and what doesn't.

To wit - the one who refuses to wear a mask, anywhere, any time, and has no intention of stopping his life to stay home and isolate away from other people. HE has decided what is appropriate for him, and damn anyone who might accidentally be in close proximity the one time in three months that his body decides to sneeze. Sucks to be everyone else, but this one guy is doing what he feels is appropriate to himself.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are still signs outside buildings urging people to wear masks. And most of them do. But many of the ones who do, wear them UNDER their noses instead of ON their noses. Because that is how they have decided mask-wearing is appropriate to them.

The word "appropriate" is subjective until you make an actual rule, and enforce it. That means mandates, which no one seems to want.

golfing eagles 10-26-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1852719)
The problem with your inclusion of "when appropriate" is that some folks prefer to be the ones deciding what constitutes "appropriate" and what doesn't.

To wit - the one who refuses to wear a mask, anywhere, any time, and has no intention of stopping his life to stay home and isolate away from other people. HE has decided what is appropriate for him, and damn anyone who might accidentally be in close proximity the one time in three months that his body decides to sneeze. Sucks to be everyone else, but this one guy is doing what he feels is appropriate to himself.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are still signs outside buildings urging people to wear masks. And most of them do. But many of the ones who do, wear them UNDER their noses instead of ON their noses. Because that is how they have decided mask-wearing is appropriate to them.

The word "appropriate" is subjective until you make an actual rule, and enforce it. That means mandates, which no one seems to want.

Good point!
But the answer to those who think never wearing a mask is appropriate is not to wear one 24/7/365

I would suggest appropriate is:
When a sign states it is required
When you are indoors but can't guarantee social distancing, such as the grocery store
Outdoors in a crowd (if you actually wade into a crowd)

Not appropriate is:
When driving alone in a car or cart
When cycling
When golfing
When playing pickle ball (although that sport may have some other issues)
When sitting alone in a chair in your driveway.

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times

Dana1963 10-26-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852720)
Good point!
But the answer to those who think never wearing a mask is appropriate is not to wear one 24/7/365

When you are indoors but can't guarantee social distancing, such as the grocery store

Not appropriate is:
When cycling
When golfing

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times

Not appropriate is:
When cycling
When golfing

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times.
So what why should it bother you. I have seen the same so what!

Boomer 10-26-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1852631)

Boomer

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852707)

Oh my, my, I do declare, thank you for the agreement, golfing eagles.

But, I must issue a re-direct that should give me a 100% agreement from you — please revisit my 2nd paragraph where I wrote “in public.”

Of course, we could debate my wording, I suppose.(Sometimes my bad angel likes to join that “dance on the head of a pin.”)

You have said you see people wearing masks while driving alone. I do not see these people you speak of.

But I do know, second-hand personally, someone who caught the virus by riding in a car with her then asymptomatic friend. I am more careful. Mr. Boomer is my only ride.

When my doc’s office called me on the day of my appointment to see if I would be willing to Zoom because they are trying to cut back on in-person visits, I did so. (My northern city’s cases are on the rise.)

He is a highly respected, smart, kind man and when he tells me something, I listen. I really wanted to see him in his office, but I decided that if my ability to Zoom could help everybody, all around, I could do that. He and I did OK with that appointment, 2020-style.

I must admit that I was starting to get a little bit casual — not a lot — but somewhat. But then that call from my doc’s office got my attention — and, btw, in case you are wondering, I did not wear my mask for my Zoom appointment. :)

Zoom Zoom Boomer

golfing eagles 10-26-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana1963 (Post 1852723)

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times.

Doesn't particularly "bother' me, but I do think it adds to the mask hysteria

golfing eagles 10-26-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1852724)
I must admit that I was starting to get a little bit casual — not a lot — but somewhat. But then that call from my doc’s office got my attention — and, btw, in case you are wondering, I did not wear my mask for my Zoom appointment. :)

Zoom Zoom Boomer

Thank God for that!

But it wouldn't surprise me if some people did:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

(Mea culpa---there are some members who don't think anything remotely related to COVID is funny)

oldtimes 10-26-2020 04:30 PM

Does anybody think that all of these mask threads are going to change anyone’s mind?

Boomer 10-26-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852727)
Thank God for that!

But it wouldn't surprise me if some people did:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

(Mea culpa---there are some members who don't think anything remotely related to COVID is funny)

:) I thought you might appreciate that smart-azzed remark from me. But (sigh) you did not quote my entire post. Being quoted out of context can be my Achilles Heel, wounds me sometimes. (Oh dear, I should not have revealed that info. Uh, oh)

golfing eagles 10-26-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1852736)
:) I thought you might appreciate that smart-azzed remark from me. But (sigh) you did not quote my entire post. Being quoted out of context can be my Achilles Heel, wounds me sometimes. (Oh dear, I should not have revealed that info. Uh, oh)

It didn't go unnoticed, but now expect many out of context quotes:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Boomer 10-26-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1852736)

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852738)
It didn't go unnoticed, but now expect many out of context quotes:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

You are a wile e. one, you are. But, just for the heckuv it, ask yourself if you think I made a mistake or did I set you up to make sure you will not be able to resist at least reading my posts, every word, and that you will never put me on your ignore list. :)

Beep Beep.

Bantering Boomer

Malsua 10-26-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1852719)
But many of the ones who do, wear them UNDER their noses instead of ON their noses

The predominant route of infection is through mucus producing goblet cells and a close second is ciliated cells in the human nasal epithelium. I.E. You get the infection through your nose. Yes, it can infect down further, but it seems to come mostly from the nose.

You infect OTHERS with viral shedding which comes out predominately from the mouth although a good sneeze comes out both. Standard breathing though? Mouth.

So these numbskulls with poor mask discipline are to some degree protecting you, but at no level are they protecting themselves.

They'd better protect themselves with something just over their nose, but that'd look even sillier than the chin strap.

For what it's worth, a standard surgical mask helps lower your exposure but you will still get exposed. This is called inoculum. Lowered inoculum leads to a better disease course. In fact, probably leads to asymptomatic disease.

If you wear a mask in your car, alone, which I have seen plenty of times, I'm curious as to how you think this protects anything. There is a time and place for masks and that's close proximity indoors. Outdoors, except super high density, (Think Time Square on 12/31), it isn't doing much either. Mother nature is diluting the viral load very rapidly.

Jerseygirl08 10-27-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852726)
Doesn't particularly "bother' me, but I do think it adds to the mask hysteria

I agree. It adds to the hysteria, especially since wearing a mask now has been politicized as much as racism has been massively politicized. Wearing a mask while driving a car, alone, could actually be dangerous. Anybody ever feel dizzy while wearing your mask? It's because you are breathing in your own expelled CO2. CO2 is supposed to come out of you, period. You are not supposed to breath it back in. So, after fact checking, I learned that breathing in your own CO2 WILL NOT KILL YOU. However, it can cause you to feel dizzy, depending on how heavily you are breathing, especially if you have asthma, COPD, etc. I actually experienced this, walking up a hill, outside, masked up. So, expel your CO2, no need to breath it back in unnecessarily. I believe in wearing a mask when indoors with others, unable to social distance when outside, and especially when you are near a medically compromised person. But all the time, not warranted in my opinion. And last time I checked, we do not live in a Communist/Socialist country where the government is enforcing mandatory 24/7 mask wearing. Thank God we don't have that form of government. So, for the people who disagree, and think WE ARE POISONING YOU, maybe you should wear N-95's and faceshields, and latex gloves - or stay home. Or move to a Communist/Socialist country where the government controls everybody. I prefer to stay in
America.

2Jays 10-27-2020 02:46 PM

Masks

I find that those screaming about masks don't always wear one. People who are so worried about masks go to Walmart, supermarket, Kohls, Bealls,etc. My experience is half the people don't wear masks there or wear them incorrectly. At the Pence rally there were 3,000 people and most did not wear a mask. Also I find that those crabbing about masks have their grandkids come up here , their kids visit,etc. We wear masks but we are not crazy about it nor do will tell others how to live their lives. There were 12,000 people at the Trump rally and there seems to be no elevation in Covid cases. I confess I am tired of the hypocricy of those lecturing the rest of us about masks.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-27-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1852720)
Good point!

Not appropriate is:
When cycling
When golfing

I totally agree, though I would change "not appropriate" in the second half to "not useful." If someone WANTS to wear a mask 24/7, I don't think it's up to anyone else to tell him he shouldn't (unless he shows up in the Ocala Sheriff's office, apparently because special snowflakes will snowflake." He might be doing something silly, but it's causing no one else any harm for him to do it, so let the poor schlub enjoy his mask.

But the items you listed as "appropriate" should not merely be appropriate. It should be urged, encouraged, and appreciated.

justjim 10-27-2020 05:29 PM

OP is spot on.

Pairadocs 10-27-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem4616 (Post 1852348)

I do the same. I would not even contemplate trying to have a logical conversation about what people really think a non N95 really does for them, or actually for others. But it's just not worth an actual scientific discussion. Many would not have the background for that, and I personally think there is real value in having people have some feeling of being in charge of this. I personally know from career experience, that this feeling of helplessness is as destructive as the virus. People can't do anything about factors such as over weight, heart problems, diabetes, and compromised immune systems... that is a helpless feeling. The mask, even a cute piece of cotton material from Jo Ann's, can allow the person to feel some measure of control, and that helps more than many realize. I do think someday, in the far future, our great grand children will read about this, and how people "back then" put pieces of cloth material, even cut them from sheets and blankets and coffee filters, put elastic on them to put around their ears, and believed they were protecting themselves and others; in much the same way WE read about how in the middle ages, people stuffed rags, paper, anything they could find under the space between door and floor, and around windows, to keep the plague from entering their homes in a mist in the air. Also, how the doctors, the learned people of the day, "let blood" drained a "safe" amount from people to let out the killer virus and bacteria, only they did not even know those terms. But against masks, refuse to put on one on, no, I comply, I don't argue, or try to convince anyone. I kind of view it like using a tissue for a cold, we ALL KNOW that the person at the next table or desk or chair, is only being "polite", that the air is FILLED with cold virus that did not go into that little porous tissue, but it "could have caught a bit of it" and most of all we "feel" light it might have. If people did not feel they were doing something to be in control, many would never leave their homes. Our entire economy really would collapse then ! As the old joke goes, farmer in Indiana was seen in his fields throwing out some kind of purple powder that was actually flour that had been colored. When other asked him what he had, what he was doing, and WHY, he replied: deep purple dyed flour, keep the lions away from the crops. LIONS the startled people asked, LIONS ? Lions have never been seen here in the Midwest for decades. centuries, maybe NEVER. Yep, pretty darn EFFECTIVE isn't it ! ! We need to smile these days, even at ourselves !

Pairadocs 10-27-2020 11:55 PM

BRAVO ! A logical mind, an open mind, finally. A time and place for masks, mandatory, fines, social "shunning", and all the other foolishness when most people will never be able to purchase an actual (really protective) mask, only the N-95 rip offs and there sure are plenty of those on the internet ! As for the new shields, for workers like teachers and servers who have to wear them all day and their foreheads become raw and sore from the head band...... they new version now has a band that fits very lightly around the neck, the "shield" part itself "flips" down forward, and then back up to "protect" the person. HOW the virus KNOWS NOT to drop into the completely open space from the top, and NOT enter the eyes, nose, or mouth.... I have not been able to understand and it's not explained in all the advertising and hype for these ? !

Pairadocs 10-28-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana1963 (Post 1852723)
Not appropriate is:
When cycling
When golfing

So What ? That makes sense to me. I've seen plenty of "double take" scenes too, and tell myself the old "not my circus not my monkeys" and get past it. If people want to wear their masks in the bath tub, in the swimming pool (although that's kind of a health issue I'd think), on the golf course, and while walking their dogs ( I see that daily just sitting on the front stoop having my morning coffee), or riding their bikes. I see a person fairly regularly at the mail boxes, mask on AND a face shield (yes !) riding in golf cart. At the boxes, stops and puts on disposable gloves like restaurant workers use, gets mail, puts in cart, goes to waste container and disposes of the gloves, mask and shield still on, and drives on in golf cart like that. Very happy with my "not my circus, not my monkeys" philosophy because it FINALLY hit me, this person is evidently undergoing chemo or radiation treatments ! That's why it always pays (for your own peace of mind and calm) to "give the other person the benefit of a doubt". I see things that may seem strange to me, like a person walking past at 7 a.m., all alone, save for a dog, with a mask on. I take a sip of coffee and think that is good that the person is trying to feel secure, that's a good thing. Would I do that, well, honestly, no, but that does not mean it's not a good thing to walk alone with a mask if it helps someone feel good.

Sensei 10-28-2020 04:06 AM

Mask Public Service Announcement from Mary Prankster- "Wear a Mask"-Mary Prankster

Videos
Video result for wear a mask mary prankster
PREVIEW UNAVAILABLE
1:23
Mary Prankster - Wear A Mask (PSA)
YouTube · MaryPranksterHQ
2 weeks ago