Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Dr, Fauci states that a nationwide mask mandate may be needed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/dr-fauci-states-nationwide-mask-mandate-may-needed-312543/)

coffeebean 10-28-2020 02:58 PM

Dr. Fauci states that a nationwide mask mandate may be needed

Up front, would like to say if any of you do want want to read another mask thread, please feel free not to read any further...............

Not enough Americans are heading the advice of the experts to wear a mask when in public. Dr. Fauci weighs in on this divisive virus mitigation........

Fauci Says Nationwide Face Mask Rule May Be Needed

dewilson58 10-28-2020 03:01 PM

The cow is out of the barn.

saratogaman 10-28-2020 03:04 PM

Wearing a mask is such a simple, cheap way to reduce the spread of new infections. We may be carrying the virus without knowing it. As for "freedom," do any of us have the "right" to infect others?

Art cov 10-28-2020 03:21 PM

We have seen the left n the right without their mask. They tell the public what to do but they usually don’t themselves. Restaurants, hair salons, parties, sporting events. We can do as they do and not as they tell us to do. I’m surprised they have sporting events! Sooner or later the looney tunes will try to stop everything.

Boomer 10-28-2020 05:13 PM

Damnitdamnitdamnitdamnitdamnit

I kept saying if the pseudo-patriotic anti-maskers did not get a grip on reality and at least try to use all we've got, they would end up screwing up the economy -- even more -- with their contrary thinking and acting.

We have made no progress. Things are getting worse, not only with the virus, but for regular people's economic lives. And as of this week, the market is taking notice and taking a hit.

DamnitdamnitdamnitdamnitDAMNIT!

coffeebean 10-28-2020 05:50 PM

Some countries in Europe are resorting to lock downs again. I do not want to see any lock downs but I would like to see every American do their part to slow the spread of this virus. That means wearing a mask and social distancing.

Bucco 10-28-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1853641)

I kept saying if the pseudo-patriotic anti-maskers did not get a grip on reality and at least try to use all we've got, they would end up screwing up the economy -- even more -- with their contrary thinking and acting.

We have made no progress. Things are getting worse, not only with the virus, but for regular people's economic lives. And as of this week, the market is taking notice and taking a hit.

Definition of patriotism has done a funny turn.

Used to be about "doing" for your country. Now simply put a flag somewhere, talk loud, and proclaim yourself a patriot.

"pseudo-patriotic" is a great description

Lindsyburnsy 10-28-2020 06:06 PM

I just don't understand why wearing mask is such a decisive matter. It isn't difficult. It doesn't hurt. You don't get disease from wearing a mask. When our grandchildren examine history in 2020 and the COVID19, they are surely going to think we have lost our minds over not wearing a mask that has been proven to protect us by more than any vaccine will do. Just mindbogling. People don't want to wear a mask, but they want to bring an AK15 to Walmart. Insanity!

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1853597)
Up front, would like to say if any of you do want want to read another mask thread, please feel free not to read any further...............

Not enough Americans are heading the advice of the experts to wear a mask when in public. Dr. Fauci weighs in on this divisive virus mitigation........

Boomer 10-28-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1853649)
Some countries in Europe are resorting to lock downs again. I do not want to see any lock downs but I would like to see every American do their part to slow the spread of this virus. That means wearing a mask and social distancing.

Yes. And stop hanging around together in Petri dishes.

mrrmauu 10-29-2020 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy (Post 1853655)
I just don't understand why wearing mask is such a decisive matter. It isn't difficult. It doesn't hurt. You don't get disease from wearing a mask. When our grandchildren examine history in 2020 and the COVID19, they are surely going to think we have lost our minds over not wearing a mask that has been proven to protect us by more than any vaccine will do. Just mindbogling. People don't want to wear a mask, but they want to bring an AK15 to Walmart. Insanity!

We could eliminate MANY more deaths by all hiding in our basements with a mask on 24/7. We can also eliminate many deaths by reducing the speed limit on all roads to 5 mph. It’s called taking a calculated risk, it’s called living life.

PugMom 10-29-2020 05:10 AM

:popcorn:

kannon 10-29-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1853654)
Definition of patriotism has done a funny turn.

Used to be about "doing" for your country. Now simply put a flag somewhere, talk loud, and proclaim yourself a patriot.

"pseudo-patriotic" is a great description

Totally agree. There was a generation that made great sacrifices during WWII. In the front line and from back home, there was a patriotic cohesiveness that was developed to rid the world of evil. But we can't do that do. We are not talking about rationing sugar or meat or going to the main front, but just wearing a mask. I wear a mask. I don't love it. But it's so easy to do to maybe protect that neighbor of mine or the elderly grocery clerk in the store or the overworked tired health care workers at the hospital. it's the least I can do. And it is Patriotic.

banjobob 10-29-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrmauu (Post 1853734)
We could eliminate MANY more deaths by all hiding in our basements with a mask on 24/7. We can also eliminate many deaths by reducing the speed limit on all roads to 5 mph. It’s called taking a calculated risk, it’s called living life.

You are right those with compromised immunity should take every precaution to protect themselves, the rest of us only minor flu like issues.

Mardarlowe 10-29-2020 05:54 AM

I see about 90% compliance everywhere I go. That's outstanding. Not sure why all the whining over 10 percent.

dewilson58 10-29-2020 05:55 AM

Drugs are the only way out of this.

Burgy 10-29-2020 06:08 AM

Should have been done in March

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1853597)

I'm a retired physician. I was shocked when masks were not recommended early. The CDC and WHO were so worried about the N95 type the forgot the masses. What real epidemic or even movie or tv show doesn't have people wearing masks with there is a viral contagion? It's a major reason China was able to limit or contain, not withstanding their other laws or rules. We say recommended or requested when we need to say DO IT.

oneclickplus 10-29-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratogaman (Post 1853602)
Wearing a mask is such a simple, cheap way to reduce the spread of new infections. We may be carrying the virus without knowing it. As for "freedom," do any of us have the "right" to infect others?

Does anyone have the right to force someone else to wear a mask? (no).

Worried about infection? Stay home already.

Raywatkins 10-29-2020 06:10 AM

Interesting

We are Brits and therefore have not been able to visit our house in TV all year.
A friend of mine was in the anti mask camp. I’m the other way.
He went out with another non mask wearer who later tested positive.
My friend caught Covid and after a few days in hospital told nurses how stupid he thought he had been not wearing a mask.
Unfortunately due to restrictions I am unable to attend his funeral. The guy he went out with is distraught.
I just hope no other non mask wearers go through the same.
A wife, three kids and a bunch of grandkids left behind.
I don’t know if he died because he didn’t wear a mask but he believed he got Covid as a result.
This virus doesn’t respect your politics or your views and freedoms. It attacks anybody it can latch on to.
Your choice.

oneclickplus 10-29-2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1853641)

You can't get "herd immunity" without infecting the herd. Take OFF your mask and go about your life. If you're worried about other people living free without a mask - then stay home.

rustyp 10-29-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneclickplus (Post 1853778)

Why does someone else have the right to tell me to wear a seatbelt ? There is an example where I don't don't impact others but myself. And if you argue about it has an impact to health insurance if I get hurt by not wearing a seatbelt the same logic need apply to masks. If you get hospitalized for covid you are having the same type impact on health insurance as the seatbelt example.

La lamy 10-29-2020 06:18 AM

:pray: Health is probably the most important thing in life, I choose to do everything scientists say will help.

billyb1950 10-29-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratogaman (Post 1853602)

As a non-mask wearer myself except when/where required by an establishment to gain entry and purchase goods, let's agree on this: You wear a mask so you don't get infected while also not infecting me.

Astron 10-29-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Public health law historically has had the power to enforce extreme measures for the containment of infectious disease. Rights mean zip to a virus. Your decision to refuse to act for the good of the nation Is a self centered negation of the rights of those around you to avoid increased risk of illness and death. Which right is more important? Obviously, only your rights matter to you, screw the rest of the nation.

coffeebean 10-29-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Hope you don't have to live your life on a respirator. Good luck to you.

coffeebean 10-29-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1853774)

Agree but we have to do SOMETHING in the meantime. Wearing a mask, social distancing and continue to live life is on my bucket list until we develop herd immunity safely with a vaccine.

Why do some people feel that life can not be lived when wearing a mask and social distancing? Of course it can. Granted, life is altered but we should be able to deal with it. I'm looking forward to the day I can set foot on a cruise ship and not have to worry about Covid.

WVB#1 10-29-2020 06:37 AM

It is a virus people. Do you really think that by everyone wearing a mask it will then just go away? Are you going to stop international travel? You're just putting off the inevitable. It goes away when everyone's immune system has the ability to fight it off.

Bridget Staunton 10-29-2020 06:37 AM

Please good neighbors wear your mask, it’s wise, the experts are telling us to wear them so please listen. It’s really not difficult and it protects all

lkagele 10-29-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1853774)

Sounds good to me. I'm off to the pot store.........

coffeebean 10-29-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

I've said this before in another thread......staying home is NOT the answer. Folks want to "get out there and live their lives". Staying home will not help our economy to prosper. Our economy needs everyone's support. Please don't ask people to "stay home". That is not going to solve anything from an economical standpoint.

coffeebean 10-29-2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have the right to force someone to wear clothing to cover up their genitals when out in public? I think there are laws to that effect. Mandating masks by the government will need a law so "yes", it can be done.

lkagele 10-29-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astron (Post 1853784)
We would not be facing hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by inaction and political divisiveness if we had a rational administration a person of science would likely have run. The economy would likely have been stronger if facts counted more than midnight tweets.

Whose facts? There are credible studies out there that find wearing a mask is no more effective that without one. The CDC just came out with a statement that it doesn't know if masks are really effective. A Danish study finds mask are not effective. Think about it. How many masks have you seen that provide a fully sealed barrier around your nose and mouth? Plus, at least with me, I'm touching my face more to continually adjust my mask.

JanetMM 10-29-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1853601)
The cow is out of the barn.

Well let’s keep the rest of the cows and all the calves safely in the barn so the break-out stops or slows down.

greenflash245 10-29-2020 06:56 AM

just do it

Singerlady 10-29-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

I prefer that others NOT take a calculated risk....one which could affect me. I also prefer to help out others by wearing a mask to not infect THEM and wish others would do the same for me. I respect the life of others.

Singerlady 10-29-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donassaid (Post 1853747)
Fauci is an idiot and an alarmist.

Ok, doctor....not!

chuckpedrey 10-29-2020 07:30 AM

When you divide the number of infections in the US by the population of our country you just might “logically” conclude that a nation wide mask mandate is an over kill to eliminating the C-19 plague. Such a mandate would have far reaching collateral damage that would change our society for ever. Take some personal responsibility people and quarantine if you’re at risk and let the rest of us get on with life. God bless America.

Singerlady 10-29-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannon (Post 1853756)
Totally agree. There was a generation that made great sacrifices during WWII. In the front line and from back home, there was a patriotic cohesiveness that was developed to rid the world of evil. But we can't do that do. We are not talking about rationing sugar or meat or going to the main front, but just wearing a mask. I wear a mask. I don't love it. But it's so easy to do to maybe protect that neighbor of mine or the elderly grocery clerk in the store or the overworked tired health care workers at the hospital. it's the least I can do. And it is Patriotic.

Totally agree. IF this had been said early on by the powers that be, I believe we would not be in this pickle!

FromNY 10-29-2020 07:32 AM

Wear to protect self. Seriously I do not care if you do or don't wear a mask or social distance or wash your hands or stay home. I care what I do to protect me. Years ago a family member got in my car refused to put a seat belt on. My car my rules on or out. He got out. Next time he put it on. A store says mask choice is on or shop somewhere else. I will not fault you for your choice so leave me alone about mine. 45 years in health care... I mask to protect me. Explantions of its validity not needed. My body my choice.

Singerlady 10-29-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannon (Post 1853757)
Denying science and scientist does not make bad things vanish. Trump didn't want a panic. No. He didn't want people's 401Ks to go down and hurt his chances of re-election. We can handle the truth. We are strong America. And we can tackle problems.

Aaaahhh....but he didn’t do smart things to ‘fix’ these issues did he?

Singerlady 10-29-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mardarlowe (Post 1853772)
I see about 90% compliance everywhere I go. That's outstanding. Not sure why all the whining over 10 percent.

Because the 10% can still infect the rest of us and keep this pandemic going!