Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Blue origin has landed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/blue-origin-has-landed-321875/)

jbartle1 07-20-2021 08:31 AM

Blue origin has landed

Happy for Wally Funk.

graciegirl 07-20-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbartle1 (Post 1975629)
Happy for Wally Funk.

Isn't this an amazing day for this woman who is even older than me??? Wowser.

Wally Funk - Wikipedia

GrumpyOldMan 07-20-2021 08:58 AM

I agree, it's another historic day, first SpaceX, then Virgin, and now Bezos. Private space travel is starting, and that is fantastic! And all three companies are American!

We have been cooling our rockets all too long now.

billethkid 07-20-2021 09:16 AM

Great accomplishments all.....just what we need in the current negative everything environment.

Demonstrating American technological prowess and leadership.

Wyseguy 07-20-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1975653)
Great accomplishments all.....just what we need in the current negative everything environment.

Demonstrating American technological prowess and leadership.

What does NASA have online? Has it been left to the private sector now? For someone who, as a kid, was woken up that Summer in 1969 to see the US land a ship on the moon, it was heartbreaking when we started to pay Russia to send our astronauts to space.

GrumpyOldMan 07-20-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyseguy (Post 1975657)
What does NASA have online? Has it been left to the private sector now? For someone who, as a kid, was woken up that Summer in 1969 to see the US land a ship on the moon, it was heartbreaking when we started to pay Russia to send our astronauts to space.

Well, sadly, I used to be a NASA fan, but a few things happened. First, they had a couple of accidents leading to the deaths of some astronauts, and that resulted in a major shift to 0 tolerance for danger - space is a dangerous place and getting there is still dangerous. This resulted in a massive slow down in progress.

Second, Boeing was awarded the SLS contract. And, well, Boeing is certainly not the Boeing of yesteryear. They seem to be having just one bad outcome after another lately in all their divisions. I am sure they are trying to get SLS done, but at times it just doesn't seem like it, it seems like they enjoy getting all the extensions and additional funding. SpaceX has accomplished more than Boeing in less time and with seriously less government funding.

At least that is my opinion.

vb993 07-20-2021 12:32 PM

Great News: Yuri Gagarin first human to journey into outer space in his capsule, Vostok 1 completed one orbit of Earth on 12 April 1961. It's great that American private enterprise has been able to advance to be able to send rockets with humans into space. But, the technology has been available since before 1961. So what is all the nonstop hoopla about sending a lesser journey 60 years later? Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?

GrumpyOldMan 07-20-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb993 (Post 1975747)
Great News: Yuri Gagarin first human to journey into outer space in his capsule, Vostok 1 completed one orbit of Earth on 12 April 1961. It's great that American private enterprise has been able to advance to be able to send rockets with humans into space. But, the technology has been available since before 1961. So what is all the nonstop hoopla about sending a lesser journey 60 years later? Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?

Well, yes, and there were computers in 1961, what's the big deal about laptops?

There are a LOT of things to be excited about. Cost per lb of payload is plummeting. Safety of the flight is getting constantly better.

Here is a list of what happened in 1961:

First 1 January
Last 22 December
Total 50

Successes 28
Failures 20
Partial failures 2

So a little better than 50% success rate. I expect not even silly billionaires would pay to ride on one of those.

SpaceX has 1,500 satellites in orbit in just a couple years - now the largest satellite fleet in space, larger than any country. In a few more years they will have 14,000 satellites in space.

SpaceX is a big part of the countries plan to permanently return to the moon with a base, and then to Mars with another permanent base.

Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are going to be participating in those activities.

SpaceX has had over 100 successful launches, 15 so far this year with 9 in the last 3 weeks.

So, I could say, what's the big deal, Wright Brothers flew in 1903, why all the excitement about Airlines?

The phallic resemblance is funny.

That has been said about every rocket since the V2. Neckties have been a symbol of make dominance for a LONG time and were compares to phallic symbols. Seriously, even the make forefinger has been used by children since before I was a child as a symbol of a *****. Is this really a comment on a senior forum today? I expect the symbology has more to do with the prople seeing it that Musk or Bezos spending billions to build one.

ThirdOfFive 07-20-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1975644)
I agree, it's another historic day, first SpaceX, then Virgin, and now Bezos. Private space travel is starting, and that is fantastic! And all three companies are American!

We have been cooling our rockets all too long now.

Good thoughts.

I've often wondered why it has taken private enterprise so long to start doing stuff in space in any meaningful way. Of course private enterprise has always manufactured the hardware but the planning and specifications have always been left up to the government.

And I've never seen anything done by any government agency, that private enterprise couldn't do faster, better, safer and cheaper.

Stu from NYC 07-20-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 1975764)
Good thoughts.

I've often wondered why it has taken private enterprise so long to start doing stuff in space in any meaningful way. Of course private enterprise has always manufactured the hardware but the planning and specifications have always been left up to the government.

And I've never seen anything done by any government agency, that private enterprise couldn't do faster, better, safer and cheaper.

Very well said

Chi-Town 07-20-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Good thoughts.

Atomic bomb?

GrumpyOldMan 07-20-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Good thoughts.

Well, I disagree, but enough said about the government. This is a day for private industry to be proud of.

JMintzer 07-20-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?

Shaped like a toe bone?

https://www.drforni.com/wp-content/u...halanges-2.jpg

DeanFL 07-20-2021 09:14 PM

I'm an Amazon customer, not Prime. But I find Bezos (although a genius for what he accomplished with Amazon) a self-centered rich-beyond-belief nutjob. During his post-flight speech today>>>>

In a surprise at the end of a media conference following his successful trip to sub-orbital space, the Amazon and Blue Origin founder unveiled his new "Courage and Civility Award," which he said "recognizes leaders who aim high and who pursue solutions with courage and who always do so with civility." Recipients receive $100 million to give away to charities or non-profits of their choice, and Bezos said awardees may direct all the funds to their own non-profits or "spread the wealth" to other organizations.

The move came minutes after his backlash-drawing comments that he wanted "to thank every Amazon employee and every Amazon customer because you guys paid for all this. So seriously, for every Amazon customer out there, and every Amazon employee, thank you from the bottom of my heart, very much." Some hit back at him on Twitter, demanding a "refund."

full article>>>

Jeff Bezos giving $100 million to Jose Andres, Van Jones after Blue Origin rocket flight | Fox Business

wisbad1 07-20-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Happy for Wally Funk.

Happy for her but think whole thing was a waste of time and money. They could have rode a rollercoaster at six flags and had as much fun. Boring zzzzzzzz

GrumpyOldMan 07-20-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisbad1 (Post 1975911)
Happy for her but think whole thing was a waste of time and money. They could have rode a rollercoaster at six flags and had as much fun. Boring zzzzzzzz

Ah, got it, so they should only waste their money on things you would waste your money on?

okay.

J1ceasar 07-21-2021 06:26 AM

Every time one of the private rockets goes up it reminds me of Ayn Rand and the entrepreneurs that make America great. As a science fiction reader it is truly amazing how far we have gotten over the years, private rockets, miniature phones we carry around in our pockets and computers that can tell us what the weather will be tomorrow haha.

Seamus6 07-21-2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
(often attributed, though many say incorrectly, to Sigmund Freud)

Windguy 07-21-2021 08:03 AM

I don’t know. It seems to me that calling them astronauts is like calling a kayaker a sailor or someone who dips their toe in the water a swimmer.

I was really excited about these things a decade ago, but seeing what SpaceX is doing in Boca Chica, TX right now is what is lighting my rockets.

Byte1 07-21-2021 08:23 AM

I don't care if they fly into space, but I do appreciate the fact that every time a billionaire spends money on any projects or products, a bunch of folks are working and making a salary. The more the wealthy folks spend the more the working folks gain. When the gov makes something or does something, no one makes money but everyone pays via taxation.
So, even though I do not care for these folks that made trip into space for a minute, I appreciate how much money they donated to the economy. Like I said, when the wealthy spend money, the working people gain.

Windguy 07-21-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1976086)
When the gov makes something or does something, no one makes money but everyone pays via taxation.

Say what? No one makes money? So, Boeing employees work for free on NASA’s upcoming SLS rocket? Boeing doesn’t make a profit so that their stockholders are left empty handed. The people who support the Boeing workers do that for free, too?

I’m sorry, but what you said sounds like regurgitated propaganda.

Byte1 07-21-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windguy (Post 1976100)
Say what? No one makes money? So, Boeing employees work for free on NASA’s upcoming SLS rocket? Boeing doesn’t make a profit so that their stockholders are left empty handed. The people who support the Boeing workers do that for free, too?

I’m sorry, but what you said sounds like regurgitated propaganda.

Isn't Boeing a private industry? I believe someone already mentioned the failures of the space program run by NASA. AND remember, even if the gov uses contractors the taxpayer is STILL paying for it.
Case closed. :icon_wink:

GrumpyOldMan 07-21-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1976171)
Isn't Boeing a private industry? I believe someone already mentioned the failures of the space program run by NASA. AND remember, even if the gov uses contractors the taxpayer is STILL paying for it.

So your position is billionaire create money, and the government takes it from us?

I thought the complaint was the government printed the money it spends. I can't keep up with all this.

Someone made a part used in every Boeing product, Boeing get a HUGE amount of government subsidies. That generates jobs, which generates taxes and pays the debts.

Companies charge "taxes" too, they just call it profit. Same idea, take money from the customer (citizens) to run and grow the business.

Windguy 07-21-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1976171)

Only a part of government effort is done by civil servants. Most is done by contractors such as Boeing. No doubt that the government pays for it, but we the people benefit from the spending by the jobs it creates and the profits the corporations pass on to their shareholders.

And, even the work done by civil servants helps us as a whole. Those people are employed. They spend the money they earn. That creates more jobs that are purely private.

You were talking like it was money down the drain. It isn't.

Marty94 07-21-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Happy for Wally Funk.

I was really happy for Wally. This was a dream come true for her and so nice of Bezos to offer her a seat.

I had to laugh at Kelly Ripa for commenting on the shape of the rocket. Both the rocket and Amazon’s logo have the same distinct profile. I asked my husband if I was the only one who noticed this. Apparently not!

Byte1 07-21-2021 11:03 AM

Wow, such rationalizing! The gov does NOT create, it TAKES. Sure, the gov is good for some things. I did not say otherwise. But, the gov sucks at business, and no one can dispute that.
Contractors that work for the gov are being paid with taxpayer money. That means, it cost us. Private industry creates REAL jobs that cost us nothing, but really stimulates the economy. The gov cannot stimulate the economy, even with welfare.
Like I said, Billionaires spending money is a good thing. Any wealthy spending money is a good thing. If they purchase a yacht, someone else builds it. Someone provides the materials, etc. If they purchase an expensive car, the same. The gov takes from us and spends OUR money inefficiently.
Printing money does nothing for the country, other than deflates the value of the dollar.
On the other hand, if the gov pays private sector contractors to provide a service, it DOES save us some money. Why? Because they do the job better AND they pay all the benefits to their employees instead the gov being required to pay benefits such as retirement pension and health insurance.
We are now seeing the private industry doing the space program better than our gov and it is not costing the taxpayer.

GrumpyOldMan 07-21-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1976228)
Wow, such rationalizing! The gov does NOT create, it TAKES. Sure, the gov is good for some things. I did not say otherwise. But, the gov sucks at business, and no one can dispute that.
Contractors that work for the gov are being paid with taxpayer money. That means, it cost us. Private industry creates REAL jobs that cost us nothing, but really stimulates the economy. The gov cannot stimulate the economy, even with welfare.
Like I said, Billionaires spending money is a good thing. Any wealthy spending money is a good thing. If they purchase a yacht, someone else builds it. Someone provides the materials, etc. If they purchase an expensive car, the same. The gov takes from us and spends OUR money inefficiently.
Printing money does nothing for the country, other than deflates the value of the dollar.
On the other hand, if the gov pays private sector contractors to provide a service, it DOES save us some money. Why? Because they do the job better AND they pay all the benefits to their employees instead the gov being required to pay benefits such as retirement pension and health insurance.
We are now seeing the private industry doing the space program better than our gov and it is not costing the taxpayer.

You are saying it in a way that seems to say the government is a big black hole and money goes in and nothing comes out.

There are many examples TODAY of government ineffciency. But, historically the government did a good job investing in our country - Interstate highway, post office, public schools, NASA, Internet, and more and more.

And as much as some hate the post office it was for decades the model of the best post office in the world.

As much as some people love to hate the public school system people came from all over the world to learn how we taught school because it was so successful.

The interstate Hiway system made a massive boost to our economy.

Nothing cost nothing. Private jobs are no different than government contracts when it comes to impact on the economy...

As much as you say "the government can't" - just saying it doesn't make it so.

Byte1 07-21-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1976257)
You are saying it in a way that seems to say the government is a big black hole and money goes in and nothing comes out.

There are many examples TODAY of government ineffciency. But, historically the government did a good job investing in our country - Interstate highway, post office, public schools, NASA, Internet, and more and more.

And as much as some hate the post office it was for decades the model of the best post office in the world.

As much as some people love to hate the public school system people came from all over the world to learn how we taught school because it was so successful.

Nothing cost nothing. Private jobs are no different than government contracts when it comes to impact on the economy...

I believe you are talking in absolutes. I did not say that we have a BAD gov. I said that private industry does a better job in BUSINESS than the gov. I said that I liked to see the wealthy spend money, because it boosts the economy and folks live better because of their spending. Do I dare say "trickle down?" I know some folks get all up in arms about it, but the gov does NOT manage business efficiently. For every thing you mentioned that the gov has done well at in the past, private enterprise has done better. Post office, security, infrastructure, etc.
I know folks get excited when someone criticizes the gov, but the point made was that the private space program is doing well and saving the taxpayer money. Saving the taxpayer money seems like a good thing to me.
When the wealthy spend money, the rest of us profit from their spending. And the economy also flourishes.
That is what I see when I see SpaceX

JMintzer 07-21-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1976257)

"Was"...

How many times did you repeat that word?

jbartle1 07-21-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1976086)
I don't care if they fly into space, but I do appreciate the fact that every time a billionaire spends money on any projects or products, a bunch of folks are working and making a salary. The more the wealthy folks spend the more the working folks gain. When the gov makes something or does something, no one makes money but everyone pays via taxation.
So, even though I do not care for these folks that made trip into space for a minute, I appreciate how much money they donated to the economy. Like I said, when the wealthy spend money, the working people gain.

When government spends, NASA employees receive salaries, infrastructure is improved, etc., etc., and life goes on.

GrumpyOldMan 07-21-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1976296)
I believe you are talking in absolutes. I did not say that we have a BAD gov. I said that private industry does a better job in BUSINESS than the gov.

Saying, "private industry does a better job in BUSINES than the Gov" is an absolute.

Other than SpaceX please point out an industry that is better that has a significant impact on citizens' lives. I will start with a negative. The healthcare system has descended from 1 place in the world to 17th place in the world while charging us 2 to 3 times as many countries with government-provided single-payer healthcare systems.

SpaceX is an excellent example of a positive, but the good it does to citizens is very indirect but coming (internet, etc). Bezo's Blue Origin provides entertainment for the rich, that is about all I can see. But, I guess everyone needs to be entertained.

I agree completely that there are many areas of our government that are highly inefficient (Boeing sucking on the government tit is one) But, rather than tear it all down, I suggest we fix the government by firing all the politicians owns by the big companies that are destroying our country - fossil fuels, healthcare/big pharma, big food, etc.

Byte1 07-22-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbartle1 (Post 1976330)
When government spends, NASA employees receive salaries, infrastructure is improved, etc., etc., and life goes on.

Yeah, and one politician says that welfare boosts the economy. Sure.......
Where do you think that the gov gets the money that that they are so generous with? It's not from profit and it is not from producing a product. It's money taken by force from American citizens. Without private industry, there would be NO economy, period.

MACH7SS 07-23-2021 11:17 AM

This thread began as a commentary on Wally Funk's accomplishments but quickly turned to a political disagreement. I have a much easier question for any experts in the Villages and beyond. Other than "space tourism" for the ultra wealthy, where is this private flight endeavour going? Is there any practical purpose to sending rockets/space vehicles into space and back or are these flights purely for entertainment purposes? To me, these launches are exact duplicates of Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard. Straight up and straight back.

Byte1 07-23-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH7SS (Post 1977360)
This thread began as a commentary on Wally Funk's accomplishments but quickly turned to a political disagreement. I have a much easier question for any experts in the Villages and beyond. Other than "space tourism" for the ultra wealthy, where is this private flight endeavour going? Is there any practical purpose to sending rockets/space vehicles into space and back or are these flights purely for entertainment purposes? To me, these launches are exact duplicates of Yuri Gagarin and Alan Shepard. Straight up and straight back.

Hey, if the rich wish to "burn money" (pun?) by a new form of entertainment, bully for them. The more they spend the better for everyone else. I am sure that the "GREEN" folks will complain about air pollution, though.

MACH7SS 07-23-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1977368)
Hey, if the rich wish to "burn money" (pun?) by a new form of entertainment, bully for them. The more they spend the better for everyone else. I am sure that the "GREEN" folks will complain about air pollution, though.

I agree completely. Who spends and how much they spend is fine with me. I'm just wondering if there is a practical purpose down the road or are these flights purely for entertainment.

Byte1 07-23-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH7SS (Post 1977387)
I agree completely. Who spends and how much they spend is fine with me. I'm just wondering if there is a practical purpose down the road or are these flights purely for entertainment.

Only the future will tell. :)

John41 07-23-2021 07:03 PM

Happy for Wally. These rockets will be reusable bringing down the cost. In the future they will carry a payload as well as space tourists.