Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Looking to buy - which area would be best (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/looking-buy-area-would-best-333298/)

mrsstats 06-28-2022 01:54 PM

Looking to buy - which area would be best

DH and I are looking to buy in the fall. We just need a small house with 2 bedrooms. Dont play golf so don't need to be close to courses. More interested in being able to use golf cart to get to stores etc. Would like to be near dog park since we have 2 small dogs.

Not sure if we will buy new or resale. Open to both. Any suggestions. TIA

Tom&JenC 06-28-2022 02:02 PM

West DeLuna is where all the cool kids live.

Stu from NYC 06-28-2022 02:08 PM

You need to come down here for at lest a week probably more hook up with agent for villages and mls and explore.

We rented for a month before we decided we knew enough to pick an area.

MartinSE 06-28-2022 02:09 PM

Well, there are dog parks everywhere. And easiest access to shopping via golf cart is still North of 44.

You really should come spend a week here and look around. All areas and the same and different. And no one can say what will be important to you.

Michael G. 06-28-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinSE (Post 2111080)
You really should come spend a week here and look around. All areas and the same and different. And no one can say what will be important to you.

Best advice yet and well worth your time and $$$$$.
There's to many Zombie's down here to take a chance.

thelegges 06-28-2022 04:38 PM

Everyone will tell you they live in the best area, so too many biased opinions.

Summer is cheap rent, if you can come for a month I would strongly suggest. You will need a MLS for preowned only, and a village rep if you want new, or one of their preowned.

Best way to find a rep is to go to different open houses, and you will find the person who you are comfortable with.

Our second villages rep was so highly recommend on this site in 2012, we met and I truly wouldn’t have bought a dog house from her. So we found agents at open houses and have been happy ever since.

villagetinker 06-28-2022 05:16 PM

If you are looking at a villa, be sure you understand the limitations and the property lines, they were a deal killer for us.

billethkid 06-28-2022 05:37 PM

You will eventually conclude the best is the home/area that matches all you looking/hoping for.....regardless new or resale......regardless location!

Stu from NYC 06-28-2022 05:51 PM

Many people will move here and quickly decide they bought the wrong house and move and sometimes do it again.

That is why it is best to spend time here to understand this place and where you want to fit in

Altavia 06-28-2022 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2111139)
Many people will move here and quickly decide they bought the wrong house and move and sometimes do it again.

That is why it is best to spend time here to understand this place and where you want to fit in

The paradox is that at the rate home values increase here, waiting has a cost.

Stu from NYC 06-28-2022 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altavia (Post 2111159)
The paradox is that at the rate home values increase here, waiting has a cost.

True but at some point prices here will level off and perhaps even drop as interest rates go up and the economy probably goes into a recession.

Topspinmo 06-28-2022 08:56 PM

New, you have one choice, south end of villages. Be few months before any shopping close way down there. Anywhere between 466a and 44 expect lots of traffic and congestion. Further north/northwest the lighter the traffic. Nobody can make up you’re mind where to live here. You have to scope out where you want to live. Naturally everybody going to say their area the best? If not they wouldn’t moved in that area.

RoyCooper 06-29-2022 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom&JenC (Post 2111078)
West DeLuna is where all the cool kids live.

You're wrong Tom - It's Hammock at Fenney - sorry LOL

Two Bills 06-29-2022 04:36 AM

From my observations over 20+ years of snow birding.
Avoid traffic through routes, and anywhere golf carts have a short cut.
Only have a golf course view, if you don't mind the sound of mowers at 6-7am.
Storage is at a premium, so go for as much space as you can afford.
More mosquitos the further south you go, but that area has the best nature walks and open areas, although houses seem closer together.
Personally never liked the Villa set ups. Found it claustrophobic. Many love them though.
Definitely rent for as long as you can, and in different areas, before committing to purchase.

PS. Swat up on roundabout procedure. There are, on the last count, 374 different ways to navigate them!:icon_wink:

Sandy and Ed 06-29-2022 05:10 AM

In my opinion: buy a courtyard villa (fully enclosed for your dogs) NOT backing up to a golf course. Location between 466 and 466A. More established than newer construction areas Suggest closer to 466. That will allow you better and quicker golf cart access to stores and restaurants. Look for “bond paid” houses as bond payments would otherwise be part of your monthly expense. Again just my opinion. Everyone has one and you know what they say about opinions

skippy05 06-29-2022 05:17 AM

Decide if LOUD Turn Pike highway noise bothers you upfront. Understand quickly that the noise levels change dramatically based on temperature, time of day, and humidity levels. The noise can be fine on Monday and so loud on Wednesday that it will blow your mind. Do not underestimate what I am trying to tell you here. Otherwise, you might regret buying so close to the Turn Pike.

merrymini 06-29-2022 05:25 AM

Why would anyone ask such a question on this site? You have to do your due diligence and decide what is best for you. Caveat emptor.

Rwirish 06-29-2022 05:28 AM

Generally speaking nothing near the turnpike.

me4vt 06-29-2022 05:42 AM

Take your time and shop around the area! The “Villages” as such, is just a catch all melting pot. Many wonderful areas outside the wire……

Ealdrich 06-29-2022 05:46 AM

We were thinking about a villa and are glad we went for a bigger home. Why? Because of the larger garage! A full sized car, a golf cart, a couple of bicycles, seasonal decorations, trash can and our two car garage is packed tight. We’d never have made it in a 1.5 garage. We’re happy to have the third bedroom also for visitors and inside storage. If you’ve come from a house with a basement, you’ll underestimate how much space you need.

All the areas have pros and cons. I live between 466 and 466a and love It. Love access to shopping, Sumter landing, but envy the nature paths in the south.

Remembergoldenrule 06-29-2022 05:46 AM

Do a minimum two week life style visit through villages. They will let you stay in villa and give you golf cart and pass for all activities . This time of year is least expensive. Then do again in fall when all snow birds are back so you can see both times of year. Meet with both villages and mls agent. I would say stay north of 44.

jimschlaefer 06-29-2022 05:50 AM

Where Should You Buy

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsstats (Post 2111075)
DH and I are looking to buy in the fall. We just need a small house with 2 bedrooms. Dont play golf so don't need to be close to courses. More interested in being able to use golf cart to get to stores etc. Would like to be near dog park since we have 2 small dogs.

Best suggestion is visit first or even rent a couple of times and find out where and what you like. If you consider buying via a Villages' agent, think about doing a Lifestyle visit for a week and get introduced to what's going on. They will set you up with things to do, places to go and see, transportation and plenty of time to explore on your own as well as get you showings of homes for sale at that time so you can get a first hand view of the insides.

Altavia 06-29-2022 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2111170)
True but at some point prices here will level off and perhaps even drop as interest rates go up and the economy probably goes into a recession.

At the rate The Villages is expanding some people far smarter than I don't expect an impact.

If I recall correctly, prices still rose here during the last recession.

+80% of buyers here are cash so interest rates have a small effect.

Stu from NYC 06-29-2022 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed (Post 2111198)
In my opinion: buy a courtyard villa (fully enclosed for your dogs) NOT backing up to a golf course. Location between 466 and 466A. More established than newer construction areas Suggest closer to 466. That will allow you better and quicker golf cart access to stores and restaurants. Look for “bond paid” houses as bond payments would otherwise be part of your monthly expense. Again just my opinion. Everyone has one and you know what they say about opinions

Our bond payments are done yearly. Nobody other than you knows whats best for you so take your time before buying.

banjobob 06-29-2022 06:08 AM

Good point about the garage , we have a courtyard villa and love it. Quiet ,private our lanai doesn’t face the neighbors lanai as most other homes do. The courtyard privacy is worth the smaller garage.

Mushkie 06-29-2022 06:20 AM

Do diligence

Quote:

I have 2 dogs so I knew I needed a fenced yard. You can’t add fencing to a home that didn’t already come with fencing/walls. There are only 2 types of homes that have fences- Courtyard villas and Veranda homes. Since I wanted MORE FUN, LESS HOUSEWORK, I chose a Courtyard Villa- 3/2 just under 1460 sq feet. They come in 2 bedroom/2 bath and 3 bedroom/2 bath models.
There are dog parks everywhere and more being added as the community grows.
I moved here without ever having golfed but The Villages Golfing Academy teaches a golf that is FUN and beginners friendly. There is sooooo much here to do, things I didn’t even knew existed- dragon boat racing, glass fusion, twirlers and drum corp, cardio-drumming- just keep an open mind and explore!!! Never say never.

Everyone will say they live in the best Village and in the best house- and they will be right- it’s best for them. Besides a fenced yard being essential- here is the criteria I used when I bought my house- sight unseen, having never visited The Villages:

1). North facing lanai with the west side of the lanai blocked by the house- I can enjoy my lanai year round, all day long. I enjoy the morning sunrise and early morning sun on my lanai but quickly in shade for the rest of the day while still having views of the gorgeous sunsets.

2). Not built near the Turnpike or a busy major road, not next to a pickleball or tennis court. I LOVE peace and quiet while on my lanai- listening to the birds and frogs while gazing at my pretty yard and fountain and Florida sky is my thing!!

3). Not built backing to vacant or privately owned property. I wanted to know what will be going in on the other side of the wall/fence. I didn’t want a multiple unit apartment building or noisy business being built.

4). Walking distance to an ADULT pool- we are 4 houses from our adult pool. Didn’t want to be close to a family pool for sure.

5). Gas appliances.

6). I was 60 when I bought 2 years ago, so I wanted to be in the younger area of The Villages- which is the new area.

7). I wanted a “vacation resort” style Village instead of a “subdivision” standard neighborhood Village. I love nature and open spaces- Fenney was the perfect fit for me. When I pull in to the front of Fenney, even after 2 years, it takes my breath away with its beauty and nature.

8). I wanted block and stucco, not stick/vinyl. The Honeysuckle Villas are actually poured concrete - the only ones that I know of. The Developer is now building a lot with tilt wall design- pre-poured walls off site and then craned into place.

I am NOT a shopper - I am not interested in going daily to clothing stores, Knickknack stores, chatchzky shops, so close proximity to huge shopping areas was not in my list.

I bought in June 2020, coming from the state of Washington, without ever coming to visit The Villages but I stalked all the YouTubers (Jerry and Linda, The Village Newcomers, Gold Wingnut, Skip Smith) here in The Villages for about 18 months- so I felt comfortable and confident buying sight unseen. But how much I loved it the first day I drove into Fenney doesn’t match, doesn’t come anywhere close to how much more I love it 2 years later. I love LOVE it here more every single day!!!

NoMo50 06-29-2022 06:27 AM

At a minimum, come for a lifestyle visit, and look at as many properties as you can. As has been said, if you want new construction, South of 44 Hwy is the only option. For resales, there are many great homes and areas, but they typically last for a very short time on the market. You may want to check out resales in the villages of LaBelle, Pine Hills, and Pine Ridge. Those are between 44 and 466a, have a dog park close by, close to shopping in Colony Plaza and Lake Deaton Plaza, and nearby country clubs for dining.

Keep in mind, it is impossible to get a feel for The Villages without being here. Any advice you receive here, mine included, might be way off the mark for your goals.

dpdale 06-29-2022 06:44 AM

With two dogs, a courtyard villa would be a good choice and there are many, in a lot of areas. Single family homes in TV are not fenced so the courtyard is a quick, easy way to let your dogs out for a quick potty break without having to walk them. Good luck and welcome to The Villages

La lamy 06-29-2022 06:48 AM

I personally love the more established villages near Spanish Spring, but around Sumter is also beautiful. More privacy/bigger lots north, newer homes the further south you go, but trees and shopping are less established.

bowlingal 06-29-2022 06:50 AM

the golf courses are everywhere. You may not play now, but you can't see into the future. I didn't play either when I moved here, but now I do. Shopping is on 441 ( the big box stores and restaurants). Sure, someday they may be in the south section, but if you look at the paper, there are tons of houses south of 44 for sale. Why? they are practically brand new. People are moving there and realizing it is way too far away from everything! Not to mention....Coleman prison, the Florida tpke, constant blasting from construction sites. You really need a month here to see for yourself, learn your way around and talk to people already living here. Good Luck!!

airstreamingypsy 06-29-2022 07:30 AM

My thoughts. I would want a courtyard villa with the bond paid off. I would want to be closest to Lake Sumter Landing, that would give me good shopping on 466 and easy access to 441. I like natural trees and established neighborhoods so north of 466. I would want to be close to a main artery, like Morse or Buena Vista...... also you should know, there are dangers here for small dogs. Coyotes, Bobcats, Eagles and of course gators. You must always be diligent walking them. That said, everyone moving south of 44 is new, so you won't be moving into a neighborhood with long time cliques.

jprudente 06-29-2022 07:41 AM

My rental is available for July-August. A 2 bedroom that is close to a dog park:
List Properties

Tom&JenC 06-29-2022 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyCooper (Post 2111191)
You're wrong Tom - It's Hammock at Fenney - sorry LOL

Haha...I posted that cuz I knew you'd get a kick out of it and defend your village...haha
Btw born in Brooklyn here 82nd st Bay Ridge

OhioBuckeye 06-29-2022 07:46 AM

Yea, golf isn’t the only thing to do. So are you just donating your $160.+ amenities every month? I’m sure lots of people do live in TV & don’t take advantage of all the things to do. I’m sure you’ll find something to do!

mrf0151 06-29-2022 07:49 AM

Great dog park (HUGE) and divided into sections for size of dog off highway 466 not 466A.
Lots of smaller homes/Villas on both sides of 466. Two big advantages to this area also are that you want for nothing in that there are many restaurants and several grocery stores. Another big advantage to this area is that you will not be looking at that big bond because many are already paid off and if not, the bond dollar amount will be much lower than homes further south.

jparsoneau@aol.com 06-29-2022 07:56 AM

I agree with most there’s many different areas to choose from. And there’s many different models to choose from. From new to used homes. If you have the time you should invest some time coming down here for a week to a month to explore the area. The villages is approximately 10 miles wide by 30 miles long it’s a pretty vast area to check out. But within a week to a month you get the basic layout you’ll still be lost making U-turns but you kind of get the idea. Or maybe you’ve already been here and know the area. We bought our house site un seen but that was after we were here for 10 days checking out the area and the models that we wanted
Good luck and happy house hunting

sallyg 06-29-2022 07:56 AM

So many options. Best to rent first if you can. We lived in the oldest section and moved to the newest - advantages and disadvantages to all areas. Best of luck.

itsaly 06-29-2022 08:00 AM

We've been visiting my father here for over 20 years. I personally prefer the older sections - Lady Lake, Spanish Springs over towards Lake Sumpter. I like that most of the homes already have the bond paid. We use to take our dog to the dog park in Orange Blossom a lot. I haven't done much exploration in the newest sections, but I feel like everything you need is available in the northern areas and is accessible by cart.

Villages Kahuna 06-29-2022 08:05 AM

The Villages is pretty close to being as long from north to south as the City of Chicago. So if your question was re-phrased to ask “where should we locate in Chicago”, I think you’d appreciate how impossible it would be to answer.

Luggage 06-29-2022 08:13 AM

many other senior communities here

Pennbrooke Fairways , is right down rt 44 - and there are about ten other places to see- don't count them out - Plantation, Arbor ridge etc ... all 30% less than Villages. get a non village realtor if you wan to check them out. save $ 200,000

Quote:

DH and I are looking to buy in the fall. We just need a small house with 2 bedrooms. Don't play golf so don't need to be close to courses. More interested in being able to use golf cart to get to stores etc. Would like to be near dog park since we have 2 small dogs.