Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Happy hour (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/happy-hour-335903/)

59again 10-12-2022 07:03 AM

Happy hour

Why do restaurants charge full price for non alcoholic beer 4.50to5.00 , can’t drink alcohol so I drink nonalcoholic beer but I get charged full price where if I were drinking Alcohol beer which I can’t I would be charged anywhere from 2.50 /3.50 just checking thought it was odd

Stu from NYC 10-12-2022 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 59again (Post 2145973)
Why do restaurants charge full price for non alcoholic beer 4.50to5.00 , can’t drink alcohol so I drink nonalcoholic beer but I get charged full price where if I were drinking Alcohol beer which I can’t I would be charged anywhere from 2.50 /3.50 just checking thought it was odd

Only thing I can think of is happy hour is for alcoholic drinks

retiredguy123 10-12-2022 07:50 AM

I think they expect alcohol drinkers to drink 3 or 4 beers, and to stay beyond the happy hour.

Two Bills 10-12-2022 08:09 AM

Non-alcohol beer always reminds me of the Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch.

"This beer is no more.
It has ceased to be.
It is without life
It is a beer no longer!":smiley:

tophcfa 10-12-2022 09:15 AM

Quote:

My understanding is that it actually costs more to make beer without alcohol. First they have to make regular beer, then they have to run it through an additional process to remove the alcohol (the process also removes about 2/3 of the calories). That being said, why don’t establishments offer 2 for 1 on all beer, regardless of its price or whether it contains alcohol?

The more relevant question is why can’t one buy non alcohol beer anyplace that sells other non alcohol beverages such as water, soda, or sports drinks? Why are people who don’t drink alcohol forced to find non alcohol beer amidst a sea of alcohol products?

retiredguy123 10-12-2022 09:28 AM

Non-alcoholic beer can actually contain up to 0.5 percent alcohol by volume.

billethkid 10-12-2022 09:35 AM

Non alcoholic beer at Arnold Palmers happy hour is half price......$2.50

:censored:

tophcfa 10-12-2022 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2146062)
Non-alcoholic beer can actually contain up to 0.5 percent alcohol by volume.

Non alcohol beer actually can contain up to .05% alcohol by volume. One would have to drink approximately 80 beers to get the alcohol equivalent of one relatively weak 4% ABV beer. Several NA beers, including Bud Zero and Heineken 0.0, contain such minuscule trace amounts of alcohol they are considered to be totally alcohol free. In my opinion, Bud Zero tastes better than a Bud Light and has only 50 calories, zero sugar, and almost no carbs.

Stu from NYC 10-12-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2146077)
Non alcohol beer actually can contain up to .05% alcohol by volume. One would have to drink approximately 80 beers to get the alcohol equivalent of one relatively weak 4% ABV beer. Several NA beers, including Bud Zero and Heineken 0.0, contain such minuscule trace amounts of alcohol they are considered to be totally alcohol free. In my opinion, Bud Zero tastes better than a Bud Light and has only 50 calories, zero sugar, and almost no carbs.

80 beers excuse while I get started to see.:bigbow:

retiredguy123 10-12-2022 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2146077)

Not exactly. It depends on which beer you are referring to.

"What Is Nonalcoholic Beer?
Nonalcoholic beers are simply beers that have either had the alcohol removed or have been brewed to contain less alcohol than the legal limit. By law, beverages can claim to be nonalcoholic as long as they don’t exceed the limit of 0.5 percent alcohol by volume (ABV), according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

So, drinking about eight, 0.5 percent beers would be equal to one Miller Lite.

CosmicTrucker 10-13-2022 05:31 AM

Nonalcoholic beer is synonymous to caffeine free coffee, neither do I understand why or what’s the purpose of buying and drinking these fake products.

banjobob 10-13-2022 05:38 AM

The demand is so low for those drinks it is just a courtesy to stock them.

retiredguy123 10-13-2022 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker (Post 2146256)
Nonalcoholic beer is synonymous to caffeine free coffee, neither do I understand why or what’s the purpose of buying and drinking these fake products.

And, vegetables pretending to be hamburgers.

Mrmean58 10-13-2022 06:27 AM

Quote:

It's all about demand. Restaurants serve many more beers than non alcoholic beers so they can buy beers in volume i.e. a cheaper cost.

crash 10-13-2022 06:45 AM

Quote:

Maybe because they are both made with the same ingredients water, barley, hops and yeast. The same process fermentation. Then you remove the alcohol so maybe should cost more.

Windguy 10-13-2022 06:55 AM

The country clubs do not have happy hour prices for bottled beer, so if you want something with flavor (like an IPA) you have to pay full price. I suspect the demand for near beers to be even lower and so they come in a bottle or can and are not discounted.

dewilson58 10-13-2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Why do restaurants charge full price for non alcoholic beer 4.50to5.00 ,

Ask them.

:ohdear:

RiderOnTheStorm 10-13-2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Probably because people will pay.

Samcat13 10-13-2022 07:20 AM

Since it started out as beer it should be discounted during happy hour or maybe not.

retiredguy123 10-13-2022 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windguy (Post 2146299)
The country clubs do not have happy hour prices for bottled beer, so if you want something with flavor (like an IPA) you have to pay full price. I suspect the demand for near beers to be even lower and so they come in a bottle or can and are not discounted.

I agree. Most happy hours are only for draft beer, not bottled beer. I don't think you can buy draft non-alcoholic beer.

Stu from NYC 10-13-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2146300)
Ask them.

:ohdear:

Easier to ask here?

flash4353 10-13-2022 07:39 AM

Because they can!

This is America. Anyone can charge as much as they want for anything. It's simply supply and demand.

Rodneysblue 10-13-2022 07:57 AM

Quote:

Did you ask them why?

Regorp 10-13-2022 08:23 AM

Alcohol

Quote:

If The Irish are such good drinker's, why is there a non alcohol beer named O'Douls.

Haggar 10-13-2022 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=billethkid;2146066]Non alcoholic beer at Arnold Palmers happy hour is half price......$2.50

And speaking of Arnold Palmer's Legends confirmed that they do charge 3.75% for using credit cards.

Attended a Webinar yesterday on surcharging for credit cards. All but two states allow it (CT & ME the exceptions).
Cannot surcharge on debit cards.
Cannot make a profit on the surcharge.
Must get permission from their processor.
Must meet quite a few rules.
Can charge some customers and not others.
Can charge based upon the size of the order.
Other flexibility in what and who can be charged.

In studies an insignificant drop in sales from surcharging.

Today I call up my clients who take credit cards to see if they want to consider it.

jmpalladino 10-13-2022 09:07 AM

How Happy can a person get in an hour drinking non-alcoholic beer? Thus not included in "Happy Hour" pricing. Makes sense to me.

PersonOfInterest 10-13-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

They charge 3 to 4 dollars for iced tea, lemonade or soda, but usually free refills.

tophcfa 10-13-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmpalladino (Post 2146398)
How Happy can a person get in an hour drinking non-alcoholic beer? Thus not included in "Happy Hour" pricing. Makes sense to me.

If you can’t be happy without alcohol then you have a drinking problem.

Hifred 10-13-2022 03:06 PM

I don't drink alcohol but I always order a coke. When I go to the Fenny Grill they won't give me chips because they are only for those ordering alcohol during their happy hour. I disagree with this. Why not include those of us who don't drink alcohol. Also I am very happy so happy hour should apply to all not just those who like to drink alcohol. There are angry drunks so to those of you who say you need alcohol to be happy I respectfully disagree!

Dana1963 10-13-2022 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=Haggar;2146382]
Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 2146066)
Non alcoholic beer at Arnold Palmers happy hour is half price......$2.50

And speaking of Arnold Palmer's Legends confirmed that they do charge 3.75% for using credit cards.

Attended a Webinar yesterday on surcharging for credit cards. All but two states allow it (CT & ME the exceptions).
Cannot surcharge on debit cards.
Cannot make a profit on the surcharge.
Must get permission from their processor.
Must meet quite a few rules.
Can charge some customers and not others.
Can charge based upon the size of the order.
Other flexibility in what and who can be charged.

In studies an insignificant drop in sales from surcharging.

Today I call up my clients who take credit cards to see if they want to consider it.

Just another restaurant on my BLACK LIST.

fdpaq0580 10-13-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker (Post 2146256)

There are many times I would like a beer rather than some sweet drink with my meal, but I also do not want to be consuming alcohol. That's when I like a non-alcoholic beer. I, unlike some, drink beer for the taste, not the buzz.

fdpaq0580 10-13-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

If I am the designated driver, the I get very happy with a non-alcoholic beer rather than sipping my Shirley Temple thru a little pink straw. 🍺🍹😝

TSO/ISPF 10-13-2022 04:41 PM

The best Non intoxicating beer I have had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 2146294)
Maybe because they are both made with the same ingredients water, barley, hops and yeast. The same process fermentation. Then you remove the alcohol so maybe should cost more.

Clausthaler Dry Hopped. Great amber beer. IMHO

jmpalladino 10-14-2022 08:32 AM

Quote:

Come on Folks I was trying to have some fun with this silly post. Don't take life so seriously, you all will live longer.

Vermilion Villager 10-14-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Oh Oh....I saw this on Jeopardy last week!! "What is an example of a first world problem?" :beer3::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Heyitsrick 10-14-2022 08:43 AM

Those who say NA beers have no/less taste than alcohol beers have probably never tried the NA brews from Athletic Brewing out of CT. Their "Run Wild" IPA is quite flavorful.

Reviewer quote:

Quote:

Connecticut’s Athletic Brewing does one thing and one thing only: NA beer with a craft-brewery mentality. That means there are many different types of beer available, like the IPA. "The heavy malt in this brew is awesome because it actually tastes like a West Coast American IPA," says Kevin Bradford, a partner of Harlem Hops. "It’s the best NA beer I have ever tasted." Perfect for fans of craft beer, these NA beers are created with the idea that, just because there’s no alcohol, doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor or variety.

The 10 Best Non-Alcoholic Beers to Drink in 2022 | by Liquor.com

Pic:

https://i.postimg.cc/d18B8VhC/Non-Alcoholic-IPA.jpg

jimlocke 10-14-2022 09:31 AM

Non-alcoholic beer has alcohol

Non-alcoholic beer still has some alcohol. (.5%)

charlieo1126@gmail.com 10-14-2022 09:55 AM

There are many great non alcoholic beers on the market , I enjoy Clausthaler, Becks , Heineken , that said I only have one when I just want a beer taste , I don’t see the point in having more then one , that’s for real beer drinking which I don’t do much of because I just love my straight vodka. It never crossed my mind to even ask why it’s not included in happy hour . FYI I stopped going to Arnold Palmer when they started the surcharge I used to go a couple of times a month

bjtraut52 10-14-2022 10:08 AM

Because it tastes good and I don’t need the buzz

DaleDivine 10-14-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash4353 (Post 2146326)
This is America. Anyone can charge as much as they want for anything. It's simply supply and demand.

NOT really, there are price gouging laws to protect us...
:(:D:ho: