Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Printer will not connect to new router (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/printer-will-not-connect-new-router-338214/)

jayerose 01-15-2023 09:11 AM

Printer will not connect to new router

Plan on visiting T-Mobile this afternoon but anyone else have this problem?

Canon printer will not connect to a new network and router (from Spectrum to T-Mobile).

thank you

Daxdog 01-15-2023 09:17 AM

Need more information, what kind of router are you using?

Bill14564 01-15-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176017)

Canon printer will not connect to a new network and router (from Spectrum to T-Mobile).

thank you

If you find a solution to that I would love to hear it.

Moved my father to a T-Mobile 5G router last year. Works great for everything except the HP printer - could not get that to connect no matter what I tried. The printer had been connected to the old router through wifi and could see the new router. There is no question that I was typing the correct authentication but it would not connect. Finally just connected the printer through a USB; not the ideal solution but it worked.

jayerose 01-15-2023 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daxdog (Post 2176022)
Need more information, what kind of router are you using?

T-Mobile 5G

jayerose 01-15-2023 09:28 AM

I do not see a USB port on the printer....I can't believe I may need to buy another printer (this one is only two months old)

retiredguy123 01-15-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176032)
I do not see a USB port on the printer....I can't believe I may need to buy another printer (this one is only two months old)

Is there an ethernet connection? If so, use that.

Note that a usb connection to a printer is shaped differently from a regular usb port. It's square.

willis100 01-15-2023 09:38 AM

///

Bill14564 01-15-2023 09:44 AM

There are discussions on other message boards about this problem. Some of the suggestions include changing the encryption on the router, changing the wifi standard being used (ax/n/g), and simply printing one page with USB then trying wifi again. Unfortunately, the printer I was trying to set up is a few hundred miles away so I can't try these anytime soon.

Pinball wizard 01-15-2023 10:05 AM

1. Remove the Canon printer software from your PC.
2. Reboot the PC.
3. Download the latest copy of the Canon printer installation software.
4. Do a factory reset on the canon printer
5. Reboot the printer
6. Install the newly downloaded canon printer software.

Let us know the results or any error messages.

Good Luck

EdFNJ 01-15-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176032)

Added after posting: Wait! OOOPS! You said NO USB PORT? What the heck model is that? You should post that info. Probably one of those lower end models where the cartridges cost 10x the cost of the printer to replace. If no basic USB there likely is no ethernet port either.

Does your printer have an ethernet port? If not, get a usb->ethernet adapter from Amazon and connect directly to your router by ethernet assuming your router has an available Ethernet port. If not pick up a cheap Ethernet switch.

You may also be blocked by the firewall on the router. T-Mo can advise you on that. Must be a common issue.

Nucky 01-15-2023 10:30 AM

I had to open up a Gmail account and once I did the printer worked perfectly within minutes. Very frustrating. It was a technician at Brother that gave me that tip.

jayerose 01-15-2023 10:31 AM

No Ethernet or USB connections.

When I go to Canon start-up on PC, I get the following message...For security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs Microsoft-verified apps.

When I click on 'Get apps from Store'....what app should I download?

Thank you everyone for your help.

jayerose 01-15-2023 10:43 AM

We found the ethernet port on the printer!

But do not see one on our laptop.

So I need to get an adapter?

Bill14564 01-15-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176098)
We found the ethernet port on the printer!

But do not see one on our laptop.

So I need to get an adapter?

What model is the printer?

You would connect the ethernet cable between the printer and the router. Hopefully, this would allow you to run the configuration software on the computer and the software would find the printer on the network. It could then make any necessary changes to the printer to allow it to work with the T-Mobile wifi.

daniel200 01-15-2023 11:23 AM

It would be helpful if you would provide the model of both the router and the printer. This would allow us to understand the specs of both. Without this, all you get are educated guesses that may not apply to your equipment. You could just take a photo of the label on both devices and post it here

villagetinker 01-15-2023 12:57 PM

OP, by any chance does your router and printer have WPS buttons, if so, turn BOTH off, then turn on the router and press the WPS button, turn on the printer and press the WPS button with any luck the two will find each other and you will be able to print. NOTE: you may need to tell your printer software that you are using WPS as the connection, I use this for 2 Brother printers and works very well.

jayerose 01-15-2023 02:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Canon Pixma TS 9521C
HP Laptop

Bill14564 01-15-2023 03:05 PM

The USB port should be next to the ethernet port and above the power cord connection.

Did more searching and it looks like a typical, square printer-side USB connector. I don't believe I have a spare of those though if they are no longer supplied with the printer then I wish I had kept one.

Pinball wizard 01-15-2023 03:35 PM

Canon PIXMA TS9521C | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Hi-Speed USB
Ethernet
PictBridge (LAN/Wireless LAN) 14
Wi-Fi® (802.11b/g/n wireless networking, 2.4 GHz) 2
Memory Card Slot 5
Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Low Energy) 8

jayerose 01-15-2023 03:51 PM

Just ordered a USB cord...thank you everyone!!!!

smurphy 01-15-2023 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinball wizard (Post 2176199)
Canon PIXMA TS9521C | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Hi-Speed USB
Ethernet
PictBridge (LAN/Wireless LAN) 14
Wi-Fi® (802.11b/g/n wireless networking, 2.4 GHz) 2
Memory Card Slot 5
Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Low Energy) 8

From the specs above, it looks like the printer will only do 2.4ghz wifi. Most routers will now do both 2.4 and 5ghz but the 2.4 may be turned off by default check the settings on the router to verify. You will need the printer to connect to the 2.4 network.

Snowbirdtobe 01-15-2023 06:52 PM

I have T-Mobile home internet and I name the 5gh and 2gh WiFi with different names so I can see how they are connected and be sure that when I'm setting up things I know that I'm using the desired WiFi band.

Scorpyo 01-16-2023 06:47 AM

Quote:

thank you

I have a separate modem and router. Mine was not working one day so I tried to connect again. Of course you connect to the router right? Apparently not. After trying multiple times and becoming frustrated I was ready to throw the printer out the window. I don’t know what made me do it but I put the modem’s password in the printer and lo and behold it worked. Good luck

lpkruege1 01-16-2023 07:42 AM

Network Speed

Quote:

thank you

A lot of older devices work at 2.4 GHz (GigaHz). Your router is able to run 2 channels. Most cable companies set them up for a single channel at 5 Giga HZ to increase bandwidth and speed. Ask your provider to set it up for both speeds and connect your printer to the 2.4Ghz. Should I use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi? | CenturyLink

BlueHeronFan 01-16-2023 08:04 AM

I had the same problem. Geek Squad came in and the only solution was to hard wire the printer via USB cable. Works great now. Better than wireless.

dougawhite 01-16-2023 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 2176090)
No Ethernet or USB connections.

When I go to Canon start-up on PC, I get the following message...For security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs Microsoft-verified apps.

When I click on 'Get apps from Store'....what app should I download?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Disable S Mode to allow the installation of any apps you want. Microsoft does not have the app you need.

Jameson 01-16-2023 08:29 AM

Try this. Open the Tmobile app. Go to Network-select the WIFI name-scroll down to Advanced settings. The second drop down should be WPA Version and is probably defaulted to WPA2/WPA3. Instead select WPA/WPA2. Retry connecting the printer on WIFI.

Bill14564 01-16-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas (Post 2176327)
When you called Cannon support what did they say? Come on - don’t post and waste people’s time until you call the company!

Not a waste of time at all. Good to see that I'm not the only one with the problem. Interesting to learn what has worked (or not) for others.

I haven't tried it but I'll bet calling Cannon would be the waste of time. Search for a number, wait on hold, get directed to the wrong sales staff, and then finally get tech support to tell you to install the latest drivers. Call back again when that doesn't help and get told that the problem must be with the modem. Waste of time - better to ask if anyone else has found a solution to the problem.

JWish 01-16-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

thank you

Yes, I was able to fix this problem with my new T-Mobile router recently and connect my older HP printer. The issue is the printer only accepts an older password format for the internet password. Download the T-Mobile internet app and change the password format option, there is a list. You may need to have the printer on so the app will see it. I forget which one worked, but there are maybe 3 choices, maybe something like n or n2? When you get the right one the printer will be able to log in because it can see the password. My printer gets connected by manually entering the login on a menu physically on the printer itself.

JWish 01-16-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameson (Post 2176349)
Try this. Open the Tmobile app. Go to Network-select the WIFI name-scroll down to Advanced settings. The second drop down should be WPA Version and is probably defaulted to WPA2/WPA3. Instead select WPA/WPA2. Retry connecting the printer on WIFI.

YES, this is what worked for me, only my original post was very general because it was a few months ago. Great info!

retiredguy123 01-16-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWish (Post 2176361)
Yes, I was able to fix this problem with my new T-Mobile router recently and connect my older HP printer. The issue is the printer only accepts an older password format for the internet password. Download the T-Mobile internet app and change the password format option, there is a list. You may need to have the printer on so the app will see it. I forget which one worked, but there are maybe 3 choices, maybe something like n or n2? When you get the right one the printer will be able to log in because it can see the password. My printer gets connected by manually entering the login on a menu physically on the printer itself.

But, the OP's printer is only 2 months old.

Villages Kahuna 01-16-2023 10:29 AM

The printer sounds like it needs a new printer driver installed. If it is an older printer, the hardware manufacturers reach a point that they will no longer support older printers by creating updated driver’s.

I had to trash a perfectly good Canon wide carriage color printer recently. It was almost 8 years old and Canon told me that they would no longer support that model.

barbara828 01-16-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

thank you

How old is the printer ? My HP was 10-11 yrs old had had to spring for new one - Epson eco tank WITH internet AND wifi

Ocala123 01-16-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

thank you

I had the same problem. There is a problem with the T-Mobile gateway that doesn't allow it to recognize printers. I solved it by connecting my old WIFI directly into the T-Mobile gateway, effectively creating two WIFI options. When I want to print, I connect to my old WIFI.

daniel200 01-16-2023 11:28 AM

Your printer supports WPS but your TMobile router does not. So the WPS button on your router will not help here

Your printer WIFI security needs to be using the same standard as your router. I would suggest you confirm they are both set to WPA2. Both your printer and router support this. (you could also choose WPA or WEP … but WPA2 is the most secure and the most widely used now … and WEP is considered outdated and insecure)

As others have mentioned, your printer only supports 2.4 ghz wifi.

Since its not certain that your printer wifi is working … you could try a test:
You could create a mobile hotspot on your phone or tablet. Then try to connect your printer to the newly configured mobile hotspot. You should be able to connect. This test, can provide some more info on where the trouble is

daniel200 01-16-2023 11:32 AM

I used the tmobile gateway for one year. I never had a problem with the printer connecting. But i discontinued the service because the signal quality was inconsistent where i live.

badgerjeff 01-16-2023 11:40 AM

I had the same problem with 2 different printers. Finally called “John The Village Geek”. He had me connected and up and running in no time. He is very professional and relatively inexpensive. (352) 289-1596

ensurconnect@gmail.com 01-16-2023 11:44 AM

On the T-Mobile router, there is a bridge setting for local wifi clients. This is not bridge to the internet or WAN.

Your printer is being blocked from communicating with other wifi or wired ethernet clients.

retiredguy123 01-16-2023 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara828 (Post 2176447)
How old is the printer ? My HP was 10-11 yrs old had had to spring for new one - Epson eco tank WITH internet AND wifi

The printer is 2 months old. See Post No. 5.

Mlogan22@tampabay.rr.com 01-16-2023 12:02 PM

Printer not working? Try these 3 easy hacks.......

1. Unplug printer for 10 seconds - reboot.
2. Wifi setting on computer same as on your printer? Must match. Sometimes power outages will change these.
3. In printer settings remove your printer and then re-add it to the list.