Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Napolinos Experience (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/napolinos-experience-348756/)

xhippee 03-23-2024 02:57 PM

Napolinos Experience

This was almost amusing. Went to Napolinos last night with another couple. I told the waitress I'd like chicken parm, with linguini and white clam sauce. She said it would be a $3 upcharge. I said ok. When it arrived 40 minutes later, the linguini was doused in a thick, white gravy...devoid of clams. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she said if I wanted clams in my clam sauce, I'd have to order it as a dinner. I actually laughed. First and last time for me there.

Altavia 03-23-2024 03:32 PM

The couple times we've been there it was like they warmed up Chef Boyardee out of the can. :1rotfl:

vintageogauge 03-23-2024 03:46 PM

They have had a lot of health violations lately also, some really nasty ones. Would not step foot in that place.

Stu from NYC 03-23-2024 03:51 PM

They had one problem and fixed it.

We have been there quite a lot and enjoy it. Last night had dinner with another couple and excellent meal.

Uncle Creepy 03-23-2024 03:53 PM

Restaurants...

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhippee (Post 2314727)
This was almost amusing. Went to Napolinos last night with another couple. I told the waitress I'd like chicken parm, with linguini and white clam sauce. She said it would be a $3 upcharge. I said ok. When it arrived 40 minutes later, the linguini was doused in a thick, white gravy...devoid of clams. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she said if I wanted clams in my clam sauce, I'd have to order it as a dinner. I actually laughed. First and last time for me there.

Every "restaurant" in the Villages is possibly the worst service and food I've ever had. I would rather eat a MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) from the Army Infantry.... including hospital and VA food. It's absolutely disgusting.

Uncle Creepy 03-23-2024 03:54 PM

That's simply because you're used to jello in the hospital

Bogie Shooter 03-23-2024 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 2314741)
Every "restaurant" in the Villages is possibly the worst service and food I've ever had. I would rather eat a MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) from the Army Infantry.... including hospital and VA food. It's absolutely disgusting.

Does this mean you don’t eat out? Be honest now…………..

Dusty_Star 03-23-2024 06:00 PM

Quote:

That is definitely not my experience. But you are welcome to eat MREs & leave the restaurants to us.

gatorbill1 03-23-2024 06:05 PM

One of my favorite places - never had a bad meal there over the years.

Stu from NYC 03-23-2024 06:20 PM

Quote:

Every restaurant? Remind me to never pay attention to a review you do.

Normal 03-23-2024 06:59 PM

Rodellos

Rodellos just off of the corner of 470 and 27 has fairly good Italian food.

mtdjed 03-23-2024 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normal (Post 2314781)
Rodellos just off of the corner of 470 and 27 has fairly good Italian food.

Fairly good is not a recommendation. I take that as NO GO.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-23-2024 09:12 PM

Quote:

Wow that's crazy! I just looked at their menu, and linguine with clam sauce (red or white) isn't even an option for a side, it's only on there as a dinner choice.

Maybe next time, order what's on the menu, and you won't be disappointed.

That said - no idea why you got an actual white gravy. White clam sauce isn't white. It's only called that to distinguish it from red. It's mostly just olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, clam juice, and red pepper.

margaretmattson 03-23-2024 09:35 PM

Quote:

Sounds like your server had no idea what you wanted when you placed your order. The server should have asked questions. Do not condemn an entire restaurant and staff on one mistake. Unless, the people who dined with you didn't like their food. If everyone in your party agrees the food was awful, then move on!

We dined there twice and have not returned. Like most Italian restaurants here, it was mediocre at best. If we want a good Italian meal, we make it at home. We purchase pasta made in Italy, choose ripe tomatoes, and use fresh spices. The quality ingredients cost much less than eating out and our meal is always superb.

IMO, you will not get FRESH at Italian restaurants in the Villages. After many years of trying, we have eliminated all of them. We only dine at restaurants where meals are made to order.

Ele201 03-24-2024 04:58 AM

Quote:

I might have laughed as well at the waitress’s comment on the clam sauce. She sounds quite inexperienced. But to be frank, that may be how the kitchen operates and what the chef told her. In other words, the linguini with (actual clams) in the sauce is reserved for an entree, not a side dish of pasta to go with your chicken parm. Kitchen can cut costs that way too.

Rwirish 03-24-2024 05:28 AM

All the bad restaurants with poor service and food are attracted to The Villages.

These posts get sillier by the day.

golfing eagles 03-24-2024 05:33 AM

Quote:

Yep, every single one of them. When I moved here 10 years ago I weighed 743 pounds. Now I'm 82 pounds and fed by IV, all because every single restaurant sucks.:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Shipping up to Boston 03-24-2024 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ele201 (Post 2314825)
I might have laughed as well at the waitress’s comment on the clam sauce. She sounds quite inexperienced. But to be frank, that may be how the kitchen operates and what the chef told her. In other words, the linguini with (actual clams) in the sauce is reserved for an entree, not a side dish of pasta to go with your chicken parm. Kitchen can cut costs that way too.

People are missing the point....he asked for the side, and as requested was up charged $3 based on that. If it was only for the full entree that should’ve been communicated in the first place. Not after the improv of the ‘chef’. That said, like the earlier post, Italian food is best cooked at home. There are people on here that think Olive Garden is authentic Italian. Italians don’t serve bologna parmigiana!

Shipping up to Boston 03-24-2024 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2314830)
Yep, every single one of them. When I moved here 10 years ago I weighed 743 pounds. Now I'm 82 pounds and fed by IV, all because every single restaurant sucks.:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Thank you for your service aerating our greens all those years....and on your weight loss! ;)

MandoMan 03-24-2024 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 2314807)
Wow that's crazy! I just looked at their menu, and linguine with clam sauce (red or white) isn't even an option for a side, it's only on there as a dinner choice.

Maybe next time, order what's on the menu, and you won't be disappointed.

That said - no idea why you got an actual white gravy. White clam sauce isn't white. It's only called that to distinguish it from red. It's mostly just olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, clam juice, and red pepper.

No clams in clam sauce? You seem to be wrong about there being no clams in it, but right about it not being a white sauce.
Old-fashioned Linguine with White Clam Sauce Recipe - Food.com
The Best Clam Sauce Recipe
White Clam Sauce with Linguine - 40 Aprons

Ellwoodrick 03-24-2024 06:07 AM

Bonefish Grill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 2314827)
All the bad restaurants with poor service and food are attracted to The Villages.

These posts get sillier by the day.

I must agree that many of the Restaurants are sub par inside the Bubble.

Friday my wife and I went to the Bonefish Grill. Pricy I know but generally good. Our waitress came to take our drink order. I asked for a "Diet Budweiser" (my standard joke). She promptly told me "we don't serve Budweiser". My wife and I looked at each other as she never got the joke. I had to tell her that they had Bud Lite on tap. Got my Beer then. Go figure......

:icon_hungry: :mornincoffee:

Shipping up to Boston 03-24-2024 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellwoodrick (Post 2314843)
I must agree that many of the Restaurants are sub par inside the Bubble.

Friday my wife and I went to the Bonefish Grill. Pricy I know but generally good. Our waitress came to take our drink order. I asked for a "Diet Budweiser" (my standard joke). She promptly told me we don't serve Budweiser. My wife and I looked at each other as she never got the joke. I had to tell her that they had Bud Lite on tap. Got my Beer then. Go figure......

:icon_hungry: :mornincoffee:

You may have lost her at ‘dink order’....just saying

Shipping up to Boston 03-24-2024 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2314846)
You may have lost her at ‘dink order’....just saying

Nice save but we saw your typo! ;)

Normal 03-24-2024 06:16 AM

I like their food

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 2314805)
Fairly good is not a recommendation. I take that as NO GO.

I like their food quite a bit, their cheese is over used a bit much for me but the sauce is magnificent. I would eat there or at Gio’s if I was looking for Italian. Definitely I’m not a fan of Francesco’s or Pasta Palace. Staying focused, we haven’t eaten at an inside the Villages restaurant that understands Italian. We have had sit downs and pizza both from Napolinos, all the food was sub par and on one occasion we barely touched a take out pizza from the place.

swerner 03-24-2024 06:19 AM

Quote:

Napolinas isn't even in The Villages.

xhippee 03-24-2024 06:21 AM

You are absolutely right. We've tried them all in living here 20 years. Horrible food, horrible service.

MandoMan 03-24-2024 06:21 AM

Quote:

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. I think the pizza at Napolino’s is arguably the best in the area (though Sammy’s across the street from Napolino’s has more authentic New York hole-in-the-wall type pizza.) The spaghetti carbonara is made the right way, unlike what usually passes for it in many Italian-style restaurants. When I eat it at Napolino’s, I moan with pleasure. It really is delicious. Also, some nights Napolino’s features the singer Mark Raisch, who is perhaps the best singer of Sinatra-style songs in the area. I don’t mean to offend, but ordering “chicken parm” in an Italian restaurant is sort of like ordering “General Tso’s Chicken” in a Chinese restaurant or mild curry at Amrit Palace or eating anything at Olive Garden: it suggests that your palette is highly Americanized and that your tastes are staying close to home.

Shipping up to Boston 03-24-2024 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normal (Post 2314850)
I like their food quite a bit, their cheese is over used a bit much for me but the sauce is magnificent. I would eat there or at Gio’s if I was looking for Italian. Definitely I would stay away from Francesco’s or Pasta Palace. No one inside the Villages understands Italian.

You are correct Normalcy!
We need to charter a bus tour to ANY major cities Little Italy so the uniformed can experience an epiphany on this style of food

xhippee 03-24-2024 06:24 AM

You are correct. I presume they gave me their interpretation of Alfredo. I also presume they just don't know.

Siegfried 03-24-2024 06:25 AM

Napolinos

Quote:

Worst still, the place looks like a Neapolitan bordello.

Cuervo 03-24-2024 06:36 AM

For a long time, I ate most of my meals in restaurants and the one thing I started to realize is that most have an expiration date.
If they're good they will start with great food and atmosphere, but as time goes by either due to costs or driven for profits both will deteriorate. Now if I want to get together with friends I will go to a restaurant and ignore the food. If I want to have a good meal, I break out the pots and pans.

sdm1222 03-24-2024 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhippee (Post 2314853)
You are absolutely right. We've tried them all in living here 20 years. Horrible food, horrible service.

Never had a decent meal anywhere in the Villages.

Jimmay 03-24-2024 06:49 AM

I would beg to differ. I agree there is a problem with consistency of service and food quality but generally I’ve been well pleased.

banjobob 03-24-2024 06:51 AM

Quote:

It never changes folks go to a restaurant and want non menu items added to thair order and get upset when the bill arrives with added charges, not sure haow clam sauce is a separate condiment other than prepared with a clam dinner.

ThirdOfFive 03-24-2024 06:57 AM

Odd. ONE bad experience by ONE Villager and it gets generalized into "every restaurant in The Villages serves H__seS__t"!

The word "elitist" comes to mind.

Face it. If you're from New York and enjoy the pizza styles that New York is (justly) famed for, St. Louis or Memphis and are hankering for ribs in the style and quality that is available there, or Philadelphia which is known for quality Asian restaurants, but you live here--don't be surprised if "second best" is all you're going to get. Because you're not IN New York. Or St. Louis. Or Memphis. Or Philadelphia. Or wherever. You're in THE VILLAGES. But that doesn't mean that second best, just because it doesn't live up to whatever elitist standard is in play at the time. is hog slop. It fits the bill just fine for probably 90% of Villagers at any given time.

Maybe those elitists among us should stop looking down their noses at the restaurants in TV and surrounding communities because they don't serve what YOU think they should, and start enjoying what the South in general, and Florida in particular, has to offer. For instance some of the best seafood around in an hour's drive or less. Great Cuban food. Alligator bites. Conch Fritters. Rum cake. Things that originate here and prepared in the best ways by folks who know what they're doing and take pride it it.

The Villages ain't New York or Philly. But don't toss out blanket condemnations just because of that.

airstreamingypsy 03-24-2024 06:57 AM

I think your complaint is unreasonable. Linguini with white clam sauce usually runs around $18.00 to $20.00 dollars and is an entree. If I were the waitress I don't think I would have understood that you wanted a $18.00 side with your entree either. $3.00 should have given you a clue that you weren't going to get an $18.00 Linguini with clam sauce. You ordered two entrees, not an entree with a side.

dcianciolo 03-24-2024 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margaretmattson (Post 2314810)
Sounds like your server had no idea what you wanted when you placed your order. The server should have asked questions. Do not condemn an entire restaurant and staff on one mistake. Unless, the people who dined with you didn't like their food. If everyone in your party agrees the food was awful, then move on!

We dined there twice and have not returned. Like most Italian restaurants here, it was mediocre at best. If we want a good Italian meal, we make it at home. We purchase pasta made in Italy, choose ripe tomatoes, and use fresh spices. The quality ingredients cost much less than eating out and our meal is always superb.

IMO, you will not get FRESH at Italian restaurants in the Villages. After many years of trying, we have eliminated all of them. We only dine at restaurants where meals are made to order.

I totally agree!! The Italian food here is mediocre here. My best Italian restaurant is in our kitchen. We're both Italian, born in CT and grew up with great homemade food.

Tobys Dad 03-24-2024 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2314739)
They had one problem and fixed it.

We have been there quite a lot and enjoy it. Last night had dinner with another couple and excellent meal.

Dined there several times, always enjoyed the food and experience.

Shipping up to Boston 03-24-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2314877)
Odd. ONE bad experience by ONE Villager and it gets generalized into "every restaurant in The Villages serves H__seS__t"!

The word "elitist" comes to mind.

Face it. If you're from New York and enjoy the pizza styles that New York is (justly) famed for, St. Louis or Memphis and are hankering for ribs in the style and quality that is available there, or Philadelphia which is known for quality Asian restaurants, but you live here--don't be surprised if "second best" is all you're going to get. Because you're not IN New York. Or St. Louis. Or Memphis. Or Philadelphia. Or wherever. You're in THE VILLAGES. But that doesn't mean that second best, just because it doesn't live up to whatever elitist standard is in play at the time. is hog slop. It fits the bill just fine for probably 90% of Villagers at any given time.

Maybe those elitists among us should stop looking down their noses at the restaurants in TV and surrounding communities because they don't serve what YOU think they should, and start enjoying what the South in general, and Florida in particular, has to offer. For instance some of the best seafood around in an hour's drive or less. Great Cuban food. Alligator bites. Conch Fritters. Rum cake. Things that originate here and prepared in the best ways by folks who know what they're doing and take pride it it.

The Villages ain't New York or Philly. But don't toss out blanket condemnations just because of that.

The ‘South’ is not FL. Geographically it is but southern fare, authentic, is in the surrounding and contiguous states.

Also, your post mentions ‘things that originate here and prepared in the best ways by folks who know what they’re doing and take pride in it’......can you honestly say that the conglomerate corporate entities that set up shop here in TV.... that you patronize have that mindset in place? It’s not ‘elitist’ to expect authenticity when advertised as such and to pay a premium for that expectation only to be underwhelmed.

Ptmcbriz 03-24-2024 07:20 AM

If it wasn’t a side dish listed on the menu, you get whatever they serve.