Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Help me identify UFO (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/help-me-identify-ufo-65162/)

Villages PL 12-03-2012 05:21 PM

Help me identify UFO

This morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star.

I went into the house to get my binoculars but it really didn't help as far as being able to see what it was. After about 5 minutes or so I realized it was getting smaller because it was moving away to the east (perhaps slighty southeast) So I kept watching until finally it was just a small dot in the sky. By that time it was 6:30 am.

What was it? Did anyone else see it?

Bogie Shooter 12-03-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 589013)
This morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star.

I went into the house to get my binoculars but it really didn't help as far as being able to see what it was. After about 5 minutes or so I realized it was getting smaller because it was moving away to the east (perhaps slighty southeast) So I kept watching until finally it was just a small dot in the sky. By that time it was 6:30 am.

Too much scotch can cause this.......................

janmcn 12-03-2012 06:17 PM

Could it have been the international space station?

Patty55 12-03-2012 06:20 PM

I hope it was the Cocoon people dropping off a new pod.

Trish Crocker 12-03-2012 06:27 PM

Can't identify it...cause then it wouldn't be a UFO :)

skyguy79 12-03-2012 06:32 PM

Had you video taped it, you could have added it to the others already on YouTube.
http://im-smiley.smile18.com/imgs/alien/alien007.gifUFO The Villages FL - YouTube

Kimandhim19981@gmail.com 12-03-2012 09:23 PM

It's Christmas, it is the North Star!

DougB 12-03-2012 09:33 PM

Santa making a practice run??

Jim&Fran 12-03-2012 10:21 PM

Maybe you had the binoculars backwards when you looked. Things get smaller real fast that way.......

anarick 12-03-2012 10:32 PM

Could've been a United Flying Over TV.

CarolSells 12-03-2012 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Villages PL said "this morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star."

I believe that what you saw was Jupiter. I have been seeing it myself and am in total awe! I mentioned it to my son and DIL and commented that it is so bright and since it is only this visible to us in Nov and Dec that it looked like 'The Star In The East'. Now the moving part I don't have an explanation for.

Cantwaittoarrive 12-04-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolSells (Post 589192)
Villages PL said "this morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star."

I believe that what you saw was Jupiter. I have been seeing it myself and am in total awe! I mentioned it to my son and DIL and commented that it is so bright and since it is only this visible to us in Nov and Dec that it looked like 'The Star In The East'. Now the moving part I don't have an explanation for.

Jupiter was exactly what I was thinking:agree:

graciegirl 12-04-2012 07:04 AM

Three wise men followed that star...

There will be a star in the EAST.

Heard that lovely line before.

And while I think of it. Merry Christmas, Villages Pl.

We are in a flight pattern for landing at Orlando International.

On a clear night you can see them flying over us verrrrrry slowly it seems.

ttown 12-04-2012 08:25 AM

Ufo?

Probably the planet Venus. Very bright this time of year in the morning.

Bogie Shooter 12-04-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Do a Google search on "bright morning star east" you will get full explanation/theory as to what you saw.

Taltarzac725 12-04-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 589298)
Do a Google search on "bright morning star east" you will get full explanation/theory as to what you saw.

December 2012 guide to the five visible planets | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

senior citizen 12-04-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

I will not tease you as the others did, because several years back, my skeptical husband saw his first U.F.O. and it really shook him up........and no he was not drinking nor doing drugs.....to those who think Villages PL might have been.

I posted the entire "happening" a few months ago.......at TOTV.

I believe him as he was the biggest doubting Thomas ever.
And if he says he saw one, then I believe it. Not everything in the sky is explainable. WE've even known U.S. Air Force higher officers who seem to believe..........as well as there have been documented reportings by airplane pilots and astronauts.

Skip 12-04-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

The International Space Station was visible over central Florida on Dec. 2nd from 6:19 to 6:25 AM, headed NW to SE, then again on Dec. 3rd from 5:31 to 5:35 AM, headed NNE to ESE. The brightness on these passes (mag 3.3 and mag 2.4, respectively) were among the highest it gets. When it fades, it's moving into the earth's shadow (or behind a cloud) and just disappears.

It can be seen with the naked eye and moves at a pretty good clip especially if stars are visible too, which gives you a good stationary reference. It takes about 5 minutes to cross the sky, doing 17,239 mph. It's about 250 miles up and can't be seen in daylight or darkness, only at morning and evening dusk. The Hubble Telescope (and other smaller satellites) can also be seen, but theyr'e not nearly as bright as reflection off the panels on the ISS.

The next bright pass (mag 3.5) of the ISS is on Sunday, Dec. 9th from 6:40 to 6:45 PM (not AM) headed SW to NE and goes almost directly overhead.

Best to stay away from street lights and find a dark area for the best view.

Class dismissed!

Skip

uujudy 12-04-2012 12:20 PM

:agree::agree:
I agree with Skip. It was most likely the ISS.
Here's a link so you can track it: Space Station | See & Do | Locator

Taltarzac725 12-04-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 589391)

The International Space Station was visible over central Florida on Dec. 2nd from 6:19 to 6:25 AM, headed NW to SE, then again on Dec. 3rd from 5:31 to 5:35 AM, headed NNE to ESE. The brightness on these passes (mag 3.3 and mag 2.4, respectively) were among the highest it gets. When it fades, it's moving into the earth's shadow (or behind a cloud) and just disappears.

It can be seen with the naked eye and moves at a pretty good clip especially if stars are visible too, which gives you a good stationary reference. It takes about 5 minutes to cross the sky, doing 17,239 mph. It's about 250 miles up and can't be seen in daylight or darkness, only at morning and evening dusk. The Hubble Telescope (and other smaller satellites) can also be seen, but theyr'e not nearly as bright as reflection off the panels on the ISS.

The next bright pass (mag 3.5) of the ISS is on Sunday, Dec. 9th from 6:40 to 6:45 PM (not AM) headed SW to NE and goes almost directly overhead.

Class dismissed!

Skip

Now an IFO-- identified flying object.

janmcn 12-04-2012 12:31 PM

I believe I mentioned that in post #3.

skyguy79 12-04-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 589397)
I believe I mentioned that in post #3.

:pepper2: Mention was so nice, that it was mentioned twice! :pepper2:

Bogie Shooter 12-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 589413)
:pepper2: Mention was so nice, that it was mentioned twice! :pepper2:

That happens a lot on here.

skyguy79 12-04-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 589415)
That happens a lot on here.

I know! I think it happens to most of us. I don't think it's on purpose though, at least in most cases. It's just that a lot of people, including me, only partial read threads sometimes and miss that someone aready said whatever it was. Whenever someone repeats what I've already said, I just stop and remind myself about what I just said! Either way, no harm - no foul! :beer3:

2BNTV 12-04-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Class dismissed!

Skip

:bigbow: :bigbow: :bigbow:

graciegirl 12-04-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 589046)
Could it have been the international space station?

She was the WINNER!!!!

Villages PL 12-04-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Class dismissed!

Skip

Thanks, that's interesting; I didn't know that. But you said it takes about 5 minutes to cross the sky. The object I saw went from very large to a very small dot in about 20 minutes.

Villages PL 12-04-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarick (Post 589171)
Could've been a United Flying Over TV.

Planes have blinking lights and engine noise. I have seen planes in the nightime sky before and this was not a plane.

Villages PL 12-04-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolSells (Post 589192)

Yes, the "moving part" can't be explained by Jupiter. The object I saw went from very large to dot-size in about 20 minutes. And this morning I saw lots of stars in a clear sky but even the brightest would not compare to what I saw the night before.

Villages PL 12-04-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 589241)
There will be a star in the EAST.

Heard that lovely line before.

And while I think of it. Merry Christmas, Villages Pl.

We are in a flight pattern for landing at Orlando International.

On a clear night you can see them flying over us verrrrrry slowly it seems.

Merry Christmas, graciegirl.

This object was not a plane. In the past I have often looked at planes flying through the nightime sky. Planes appear to be moving with blinking lights but no light as bright as what I saw.

Villages PL 12-04-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 589298)

I looked but it doesn't match up with what I saw. Thanks.

Villages PL 12-05-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 589301)

I read your link and now I'm thinking it could have been Venus but still not 100% sure. I saw it at 6;10 am.; is that about 2 hours before sunrise? If so, it may have been Venus. But it didn't say anything about how it would move. It only lasted about 20 minutes because it moved away to the Southeast and disappeared from view. Would it move out of sight that fast? And it didn't quite look like any of the pictures in your link. It wasn't a solid sphere, like a full moon, for example. The lighting was sort of irregular. But it did look more like a solid sphere as it got more distant.

ewstanley 12-05-2012 06:02 PM

If you have a smart phone you can download an app called Google Sky. Launch Google Sky and when you see the object hold the phone towards the sky where the object is. Google Sky will tell you if it is a planet or star. Of course if it isn't a planet or star it wouldn't be much help.

senior citizen 12-09-2012 08:21 AM

graciegirl 12-09-2012 08:23 AM

Well apparently your UFO came and looked and thought there was no reason to stay.

Another thing to not trouble oneself over.

senior citizen 12-09-2012 08:26 AM

http://www.floridamufon.org/

Here is the Florida chapter of M.U.F.O.N.

senior citizen 12-09-2012 08:32 AM

There are more things in heaven and earth,than are dreamt of in your philosophy

graciegirl 12-09-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 591682)
One never knows...........good thing to keep an open mind.....
Especially when quite logical folks like my own husband have seen them.
He, who was a TOTAL SKEPTIC........now believes.

From Shakespeare.................
Hamlet:
Swear by my sword
Never to speak of this that you have heard.

Ghost:
[Beneath] Swear by his sword.

Hamlet:
Well said, old mole, canst work i' th' earth so fast?
A worthy pioner! Once more remove, good friends.

Horatio:
O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

Hamlet:
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167
Horatio and Marcellus, though advised against it, barge into Hamlet's conversation with his father's ghost [see SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN THE STATE OF DENMARK]. Hamlet is a little unforthcoming with the news imparted by this spirit, who is still rustling about under the stage. So it's hard to figure what Horatio and Marcellus are being asked to keep quiet, though Hamlet and the burrowing ghost (a "pioner," or miner) insist.

Horatio, a model of rationality, is still having a hard time swallowing the whole business. Ghosts are not the sort of beings his "philosophy" easily takes into account. We know that Horatio is, like Hamlet, a student at the University of Wittenberg, a notable outpost of Protestant humanism. The philosophy he studies there is probably classical—a compound of ethics, logic, and natural science. The emphasis on everyday phenomena pretty much excludes speculation about talking ghosts.

Themes: philosophy, supernatural phenomena

Speakers: Hamlet, Horatio, Ghost

Alrighty then.

Cantwaittoarrive 12-09-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 591675)
Well apparently your UFO came and looked and thought there was no reason to stay.

Another thing to not trouble oneself over.

It's possible they were house hunting in TV and had to go back home and wait for their home to sell before staying.

senior citizen 12-09-2012 08:45 AM