Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   Direct tv vs. Dish (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/direct-tv-vs-dish-68017/)

jccampana 01-16-2013 03:45 PM

Direct tv vs. Dish

I was wondering what people thought about Direct tv and Dish.I know that dish is less expensive but how is the customer service for each, what you like and dislike. Just want basic 120 channels with hd. Don't need dvr or any of the extras.
Also who does everyone use for internet and phone bundles.
Tired of Comcast lol.

gomoho 01-16-2013 05:05 PM

Dish was just voted the worst place to work in the US. That speaks volumes in my opinion. Don't know how you could get much customer service from such disgruntled employes.

Ohiogirl 01-16-2013 05:10 PM

Happy with Directv

but we got it because of sports channels we couldn't get with Comcast and we like the DVR. We switched to Directv about 2 years ago, so not sure what the latest/greatest offers are, and there's also Prism (Centurylink) to consider now.

It may also depend if you are full-time or not. If you're a snowbird and can bring your Directv box back and forth, that would be great. We can't get Directv in our condo up north (no satellite dishes allowed).

If you don't care about any but the basic channels and don't want/need DVR, not sure why you would be considering satellite at all, but I may not understand everything. You do get outages in heavy rain and wind, most of which are when we are up north, but not all.

Customer service has been pretty good - they even helped us by phone to hook up a DVD player recently. The 2nd person we talked to was more helpful that the first, but wasn't even their product.

ureout 01-17-2013 07:26 AM

Ive had both and just switched back to Dish because of the hopper and better rates...both have had great service....if you care about sports more options with Direct tv....i used to subscribe to all sports channels with Direct now i stream them for FREE on internet

Bill-n-Brillo 01-17-2013 07:50 AM

Another recent thread on the topic:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ast-etc-67090/

Bill :)

NJblue 01-19-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ureout (Post 610462)
Ive had both and just switched back to Dish because of the hopper and better rates...both have had great service....if you care about sports more options with Direct tv....i used to subscribe to all sports channels with Direct now i stream them for FREE on internet

Free? Real time? NFL? MLB? Would like to hear more.

chuckinca 01-19-2013 11:25 PM

DVR is the only way to watch TV. Direct TV now will let you record 5 programs at once with about 80 hours capacity!

Newbeginnings 01-20-2013 07:00 AM

I just signed back up with Direct TV, I had it in 2 other states where I lived and loved it! Came here and got cable, 2 months later I am switching back with them. The programming, guide, tech apps, etc are great, I have had nothing better in my experience.

graciegirl 01-20-2013 07:40 AM

We like Direct TV. We used to carry our boxes back and forth when we were snowbirds.

ugotme 01-20-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJblue (Post 611986)
Free? Real time? NFL? MLB? Would like to hear more.

Try "VIPBOX"

I use this to watch my Yankee games. Can get basically every sport.

sometimes a bit of a pain but once it gets started - no problem.

kittygilchrist 01-20-2013 01:19 PM

Not sure this works in TV, but does for me in Gainesville.
Internet $38 ATT
Phone $70 for unit, $30 year unlimited local/LD Magic Jack
I love Direct TV, for $85 month with dvr, no hbo etc, but all the most used channels. Not perfect but they do respond when you need service.

I enjoyed comcast's arts channel thru UCF while visiting TV, so would probably miss that if I use DTV after I move to TV in April. (!)

scrapple 01-20-2013 04:45 PM

We've had Dish both here and in Colorado and have never had any problems with it. Fine reception, even in the worst of storms. Sure, it's gone out, maybe once or twice, very seldom. I can't keep up with the things I record!