Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   In case anyone is wondering about Mexican (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/case-anyone-wondering-about-mexican-348518/)

Pairadocs 03-14-2024 02:59 PM

In case anyone is wondering about Mexican

Tried Campo Azul in the Spruce Creek plaza on 441 on 3-11-24. First time visit since it opened. Food was very good; a combo plate that included a tamale and two other selections, all were very tasty (about $12) , the other entree we tried was enchiladas verde, two chicken and two shredded (not ground) beef, per serving (think it was $12.99). The chicken was all white breast meat and not the "stewed" type of filling usually found in chicken enchilada filling. All food was very tasty and the service from waiter was very watchful, attentive. A good experience.

Keefelane66 03-14-2024 04:17 PM

Thanks for the recommendation

Altavia 03-14-2024 04:18 PM

How was the verede sauce? Spicy? Creamy?

fdpaq0580 03-14-2024 04:46 PM

We usually prefer the kind of places that have home-made horchata.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-14-2024 04:55 PM

I'd been wondering about that place, thanks for the review! I'll probably give it a try in the next couple of weeks, as a result.

Michael 61 03-19-2024 01:38 PM

I’ll check it out, but so far I have yet to find a decent Mexican restaurant in Florida that serves authentic Mexican cuisine.

Dusty_Star 03-19-2024 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael 61 (Post 2313190)
I’ll check it out, but so far I have yet to find a decent Mexican restaurant in Florida that serves authentic Mexican cuisine.

Hope you update us after you do.

coralway 03-19-2024 11:10 PM

Quote:

And you won’t

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-20-2024 09:30 AM

Quote:

There are taquerias scattered around. Not many but some. It's not haute cuisine, but it's good hardy food that sticks to your ribs and is relatively inexpensive. A couple of carne asada tacos on home-made double-shell soft tortillas, with cilantro, onion, and roja, "paired" (see I can be presumptuous too!) with a bottle of mandarin Jarritos is only around $7. Eat al fresco, there is no "in" in which to dine at the canopy-covered food truck. Most of the people eating at nearby tables are Mexican, it's one of their go-tos for lunch.

ThirdOfFive 03-20-2024 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pairadocs (Post 2311065)
Tried Campo Azul in the Spruce Creek plaza on 441 on 3-11-24. First time visit since it opened. Food was very good; a combo plate that included a tamale and two other selections, all were very tasty (about $12) , the other entree we tried was enchiladas verde, two chicken and two shredded (not ground) beef, per serving (think it was $12.99). The chicken was all white breast meat and not the "stewed" type of filling usually found in chicken enchilada filling. All food was very tasty and the service from waiter was very watchful, attentive. A good experience.

Thank you.

xcaligirl 03-20-2024 10:46 AM

Quote:

Glad you had a good experience. When we went, the food was barely edible, small portions, service was okay, will never return. And, I felt it was very overpriced for what we received. Didn't look even close to all of the pictures posted

Dusty_Star 03-20-2024 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcaligirl (Post 2313515)
Glad you had a good experience. When we went, the food was barely edible, small portions, service was okay, will never return. And, I felt it was very overpriced for what we received. Didn't look even close to all of the pictures posted

Reminds me of that old joke:

Two elderly women are at a resort, and one says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible."
The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

PoolBrews 03-21-2024 07:11 AM

We love Mexican and tried Camp Azul twice. Both times service was great, but food was very average and much pricier than other restaurants we frequent. Fajitas were $20! Salsa was OK - fairly bland for my taste. El Ranchito's had better prices and flavor, but my favorite is Los Maguey's in Belleview. Not sure if they got new cooks, but my last 4 times there have been some of the best Mexican food I've had anywhere. Their salsa verde is amazing!

pauld315 03-27-2024 09:23 AM

Quote:

Then you haven't been to Hacienda in Ocala if you want regular Mexican or you should try more upscale places in Ocala like El Mezcal or Azul Tequila

tophcfa 03-27-2024 09:34 AM

Quote:

Is that place golf cart accessible? We very much enjoy both Ay Jalisco in Spanish Springs and Tequila Cantina on Wedgewood Lane (The old Crispers Location) and both are easily golf cart accessible. Any location requiring taking a car would have to be 5 star off the charts good to get our attention. That being said, I haven’t driven a car since early January and am in no hurry to do so until we have to go back north.