Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Clive Cussler and Jack du Brul's "The Sabotuers" An Isaac Bell Adventure. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/clive-cussler-jack-du-bruls-sabotuers-isaac-bell-adventure-321497/)

Taltarzac725 07-10-2021 12:54 PM

Clive Cussler and Jack du Brul's "The Sabotuers" An Isaac Bell Adventure.

This one is about the building of the Panama Canal and is quite interesting. Isaac Bell steps into stop the villains who are working to prevent the Canal from being finished.

Bell runs into manchineel trees on some occasions.

Have only heard of this on occasion.

Do Not Eat, Touch, Or Even Inhale the Air Around the Manchineel Tree - Atlas Obscura

Stu from NYC 07-10-2021 01:16 PM

Great character will definitely read this.

Taltarzac725 07-10-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1971160)
Great character will definitely read this.

I have most of the Isaac Bell books.

Stu from NYC 07-10-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1971296)
I have most of the Isaac Bell books.

Given how many books Cussler comes out with these days thinking he makes up an outline and lets someone else do the writing. Jack Du Brel has written some excellent books on his own.

Taltarzac725 07-10-2021 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1971323)
Given how many books Cussler comes out with these days thinking he makes up an outline and lets someone else do the writing. Jack Du Brel has written some excellent books on his own.

That is true. He is like James Patterson who seem to have created an industry around one author who works with multiple writers.

Stu from NYC 07-11-2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1971333)
That is true. He is like James Patterson who seem to have created an industry around one author who works with multiple writers.

In the good news dept got a notice from our library overnight that the book is available to me in E form so will read it later this week.

Neils 07-11-2021 06:47 AM

I was lucky enough to have lunch with Clive once. He is a great non-pretentious guy.
All his books are based on threads of facts that he carefully researches.

Since he has gotten older, he indeed hands off a lot of the writing, but he proofreads, and edits, every page before a book gets released.
Personally, I enjoy his earlier books that the wrote all alone. But again great author and good person.

Taltarzac725 07-11-2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neils (Post 1971385)
I was lucky enough to have lunch with Clive once. He is a great non-pretentious guy.

Since he has gotten older, he indeed hands off a lot of the writing, but he proofreads, and edits, every page before a book gets released.
Personally, I enjoy his earlier books that the wrote all alone. But again great author and good person.

Been reading him since his Raise the Titanic came out. Raise the Titanic! - Wikipedia!

Stu from NYC 07-11-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neils (Post 1971385)

Always liked it when he puts himself in as a character in many of his books. Do not remember anyone else doing this.

Taltarzac725 07-11-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1971548)
Always liked it when he puts himself in as a character in many of his books. Do not remember anyone else doing this.

7 Authors Who Wrote Themselves into Their Work | Mental Floss

A few do every so often it looks like.

Stu from NYC 07-11-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1971614)

Thanks for sharing.

Years ago read Stephen King but tired of him after a while. Never read the others.

Clive Cussler has a great style and read all he writes.

SamJ1 07-11-2021 08:41 PM

Clive Cussler was one of my favorite authors, he passed away at the age of 88 on February 26, 2020. He will be dearly missed.

Stu from NYC 07-11-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamJ1 (Post 1971715)
Clive Cussler was one of my favorite authors, he passed away at the age of 88 on February 26, 2020. He will be dearly missed.

Sorry to hear that he was an excellent writer.

Suspect his characters will continue in books written by others.

nativetex 07-12-2021 05:02 AM

If anyone has never seen the engineering marvel of the Panama Canal, it is well worth the trip. There is a small museum there that explains the history of the canal. There are however, mask mandates in the entire country of Panama.

SandyFielder 07-12-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1971365)
In the good news dept got a notice from our library overnight that the book is available to me in E form so will read it later this week.

I have read every one of Clive Cussler’s books and enjoyed all of them. I am in the middle of reading the Sabatours via the public library’s e-books. I had to wait several weeks after I put in a request to obtain the book, but it is worth it, because I have been through the Panama Canal on a cruise and really enjoy reading all the history of the building of the Panama Canal which is covered in this book, along with Issac Bell’s adventure surrounding the plot.