Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Looking for computer repair service (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/looking-computer-repair-service-348760/)

dblwyr 03-23-2024 04:46 PM

Looking for computer repair service

Interested if anyone has a recommendation for reliable in home computer repair service? TIA.

village dreamer 03-23-2024 05:20 PM

jacobs on 301 in wildwood

Stu from NYC 03-23-2024 06:20 PM

MMD on 441

villagetinker 03-23-2024 07:48 PM

Since you did not state the problem I agree with above for HARDWARE problems, if on the other hand you have a SOFTWARE problem, there are several people who come to the house for these issues. I cannot find my list, if I do I will reply agaain.

Stu from NYC 03-23-2024 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2314789)
Since you did not state the problem I agree with above for HARDWARE problems, if on the other hand you have a SOFTWARE problem, there are several people who come to the house for these issues. I cannot find my list, if I do I will reply agaain.

When he said computer repair I thought of hardware problem but upon further review could be either

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-23-2024 09:17 PM

Quote:

If it's software and related to Microsoft Office Suite, I can probably help here on the forum. Depends on the problem.

dblwyr 03-24-2024 04:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, I should have been more specific. I actually need someone who is experienced with the Hue bridge system operation. My Hue bridge is not working, and I am not sure if it is actually a router problem, cabling issue or the device itself.

bopat 03-24-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblwyr (Post 2314817)
Yes, I should have been more specific. I actually need someone who is experienced with the Hue bridge system operation. My Hue bridge is not working, and I am not sure if it is actually a router problem, cabling issue or the device itself.

I have a hue bridge and some hue lights. Here are some troubleshooting steps to try on the bridge:
- make sure the bridge is connected to your router with an ethernet cable, and the lights are on where it's plugged into the router
- make sure it's plugged into an internal port on your router. Some routers have external/WAN ports and internal/LAN ports, they're usually different colors. Try unplugging it from one color port and into the other color port
- if you have access to the router, log into it (the router) and see if it's recognizing a device on that port. My router has a "list ports" and "list devices" function

JoelJohnson 03-24-2024 08:04 AM

For software problems I recommend Linux Mint, depending on what you are using Windows for. However, after saying that, there are many Linux programs that do the same thing as a Windows program, just different. Linux does not spy on you, there is no Linux corporation, it's free as are most of the programs. The nice thing is, that you can try (via a USB stick) and if you like it you can load it (after you back any files you may want from Windows). I can help (no cost, it's my hobby).

Davonu 03-24-2024 09:08 AM

Best Buy Geek Squad is a possibility.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-24-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelJohnson (Post 2314931)
For software problems I recommend Linux Mint, depending on what you are using Windows for. However, after saying that, there are many Linux programs that do the same thing as a Windows program, just different. Linux does not spy on you, there is no Linux corporation, it's free as are most of the programs. The nice thing is, that you can try (via a USB stick) and if you like it you can load it (after you back any files you may want from Windows). I can help (no cost, it's my hobby).

Installing, learning, and configuring an entirely different operating system, and then installing compatible software to do everything you need to get done, is a LOT of work if your problem is just "I can't get my spreadsheet to add column 15 automatically."

The OP's problem is a Smart control issue, and not a computer problem at all, so it doesn't matter.

But it's really not helpful and can be very frustrating and confusing to someone who doesn't know anything about the inner workings of computers, when they're told to switch operating systems. They have the OS they have. They need help working within those parameters.

tophcfa 03-24-2024 09:48 AM

Ubreakitifix on Wedgewood Lane is good, but you have to bring the computer there.

villagetinker 03-24-2024 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopat (Post 2314893)
I have a hue bridge and some hue lights. Here are some troubleshooting steps to try on the bridge:
- make sure the bridge is connected to your router with an ethernet cable, and the lights are on where it's plugged into the router
- make sure it's plugged into an internal port on your router. Some routers have external/WAN ports and internal/LAN ports, they're usually different colors. Try unplugging it from one color port and into the other color port
- if you have access to the router, log into it (the router) and see if it's recognizing a device on that port. My router has a "list ports" and "list devices" function

I am not familiar with this equipment, however I would try searching "hue bridge problems" or similar on the internet and also on youtube with any luck you will find a solution.

Stu from NYC 03-24-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2314986)
Ubreakitifix on Wedgewood Lane is good, but you have to bring the computer there.

They are good but the name has been changed. Sorry do not remember the new name.

dblwyr 03-24-2024 02:43 PM

Great advice

Thanks to all who offered help with this issue. So, I decided to focus on the router. I discovered that the power strip the router was plugged into was faulty. The indicator light on the strip however was illuminated. So, an easy fix after all. Thanks again.