Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Contractors & Lawn Mowing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-contractors-lawn-mowing-272/)
-   -   Need Someone that will Thach my lawn (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-contractors-lawn-mowing-272/need-someone-will-thach-my-lawn-201110/)

cmfjr 07-11-2016 12:42 PM

Need Someone that will Thach my lawn

Looking for a recommendation for a reliable person/company to Thach my lawn. I have several areas of severely brown/dead grass from an improper irrigation schedule. The irrigation problems have been resolved and before fertilizing I want the dead grass removed. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

rubicon 07-11-2016 12:47 PM

I am no expert but since the soil is so sanding here don't know that its necessary????

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 07-11-2016 12:59 PM

If it were me, I'd call in an expert to determine if thatching is necessary.

mixsonci 07-11-2016 01:12 PM

Who are the experts? I asked numerous companies about mine and they all give me the same canned answer, but offer no solutions.
e.g. under watered, over watered, water puddling and sitting too long, YET, I've been here for 3 years and it's only looked this bad in the past 2 months. I don't think anybody really has any answers,
I'm ready to give up and just let the whole darn lawn go and do what it wants. I'm so fed up with it.

cmfjr 07-11-2016 04:34 PM

Yes, 2 different lawn services suggested to remove (detach) the dead grass from under watering. Then they suggested granular fertilizer with the appropate watering. So I still need the name of someone who does Dethaching.

TV MAN 07-11-2016 04:44 PM

Massey does.

mixsonci 07-11-2016 08:24 PM

I have had Massey for the past 3 months and my lawn has never looked this bad. I have called them numerous times and they come out and spread something around and give me canned answers (see above post) but nothing changes. I have never had weeds on my front lawn, now I have quite a few that sprung up really quickly, but I get no answers and so results. They never mentioned or said anything about deThatching, whatever that is.

The20Percent 07-11-2016 08:44 PM

I think many of us are having the same problem in this heat. I was told by some guys that do yard work for a living, that if I bought a few bags of dirt/fertilizer and spread it over the dead spots and watered it for several days, grass would grow back in these places. I haven't tried this yet but it would be a cheap fix if it works.

rubicon 07-12-2016 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixsonci (Post 1252746)
Who are the experts? I asked numerous companies about mine and they all give me the same canned answer, but offer no solutions.
e.g. under watered, over watered, water puddling and sitting too long, YET, I've been here for 3 years and it's only looked this bad in the past 2 months. I don't think anybody really has any answers,
I'm ready to give up and just let the whole darn lawn go and do what it wants. I'm so fed up with it.

I have St Augustine and for the first two years it looked like I was growing hay. so I got fed up with the canned answers and demanded to speak with a supervisor. he came out and tested my soil. He explained that the soil lacked the proper nutrients and established a nutrient program. My lawn responded well continues to this day to do well. My lawn service is Massey and I am satisfied with their lawn service, pest control and termite programs. I do have them irritate once a year and that does help de-thach the lawn.

Nolesman74 07-14-2016 09:54 AM

Yes Massey does everything with lawns, bugs, etc. They tend to be very expensive and always want to up sell you on other services. Get your checkbook ready.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 07-14-2016 11:18 AM

I understand that Central Florida Turf is very good.

photo1902 07-14-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1254156)
I understand that Central Florida Turf is very good.

I'm not so sure. I hired them thinking I would have a responsive lawn care company, who could address my lawns specific needs (test the soil, do a sight visit, etc) rather than just dumping fertilizer like Massey did. Instead, I got my lawn cut and an invoice several days later. The promise of hedge/shrub trimming was set for last weekend. No show, no call. Having been burnt before by lawn companies/contractors, I wasn't about to take a chance to see how this panned out. I was really looking forward to finally having someone who could/would properly diagnose my lawn problems. The search continues.