Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   If you liked the old Frasier……. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/if-you-liked-old-frasier-345255/)

Boomer 11-06-2023 04:46 PM

If you liked the old Frasier…….

If you liked the old Frasier, you probably will like the new one.

Frasier is still the same old pompous, arrogant snob he always was, but a lot of years have passed. In the interim, he has made a lot of money with a television show and now has decided to retire and return to Boston where his son Freddy lives.

The storyline will be familiar to the old fans, but with a twist — the character of Freddy is like his grandfather.

The supporting cast are all very good, including Niles and Daphne’s son.

The same format is used with the clever titles for each scene and a touch here and there of the comedy of errors style of writing.

It is streaming on Paramount Plus and is now 5 episodes in.

Boomer

PS: Every once in a while, I like to revisit one of my favorite sitcoms Corner Gas for a few episodes. It is Canadian and now on Freevee. The only way to explain it is Seinfeld meets Northern Exposure.

I love well written sitcoms. But there are not many new ones.

tophcfa 11-06-2023 05:15 PM

Frazier’s character was great when he was on Cheers. On his own show, he and his brothers snooty/snobby Seattle shrink characters were unwatchable. Their father’s character was the only redeeming thing about the show.

shut the front door 11-06-2023 05:28 PM

I'm watching and enjoying it. I've been in the bad habit of binge watching, so I'm having to be patient.

Ecuadog 11-06-2023 05:43 PM

I thought that I was the only one who knew about Corner Gas.

Rainger99 11-06-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 2271964)

It is actually pretty good - at least the first couple of seasons.

For Canadians on TOTV, did people from Saskatchewan appreciate the way they were depicted??

Boomer 11-06-2023 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 2271964)

Gotta luv Emma and Oscar. Of course, now I say, “jackazz,” a lot more than I used to.

Favorite Corner Gas episode? — When Karen goes fishing with Hank. . .or anything about Emma and Oscar.

Boomer

Boomer 11-06-2023 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2271969)
It is actually pretty good - at least the first couple of seasons.

For Canadians on TOTV, did people from Saskatchewan appreciate the way they were depicted??

I think the show won awards in Canada.

I never think of it as being about people from Saskatchewan; I just see it as being about people.

Boomer

buzzy 11-06-2023 08:40 PM

I need to find the first episode. So far, not being repeated on Direct TV.

shaw8700@outlook.com 11-06-2023 09:23 PM

We loved Corner Gas! We bought all the seasons on blu-ray.

Two Bills 11-07-2023 05:25 AM

Sorry to butt in.
But.
If you get a chance to watch the latest Planet Earth from BBC productions, do so.
Like all the other series, truly amazing.
Photography doesn't get better than this.

Two Bills 11-07-2023 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2272028)
Sorry to butt in.
But.
If you get a chance to watch the latest Planet Earth from BBC productions, do so.
Like all the other series, truly amazing.
Photography doesn't get better than this.

PS. If you have a half decent VPN you can watch it on BBC iPlayer.

midiwiz 11-07-2023 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 2271945)
If you liked the old Frasier, you probably will like the new one.

Frasier is still the same old pompous, arrogant snob he always was, but a lot of years have passed. In the interim, he has made a lot of money with a television show and now has decided to retire and return to Boston where his son Freddy lives.

The storyline will be familiar to the old fans, but with a twist — the character of Freddy is like his grandfather.

The supporting cast are all very good, including Niles and Daphne’s son.

The same format is used with the clever titles for each scene and a touch here and there of the comedy of errors style of writing.

It is streaming on Paramount Plus and is now 5 episodes in.

Boomer

PS: Every once in a while, I like to revisit one of my favorite sitcoms Corner Gas for a few episodes. It is Canadian and now on Freevee. The only way to explain it is Seinfeld meets Northern Exposure.

I love well written sitcoms. But there are not many new ones.

I thought it was boring, woke, and a complete waste of my time.

ithos 11-07-2023 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midiwiz (Post 2272030)
I thought it was boring, woke, and a complete waste of my time.

Watched Frazier often and enjoyed it. Kelsey Grammer is a great actor. He is also one of the most conservative actors in Hollywood. Don't agree with the woke description.

jjp2532 11-07-2023 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 2271975)
Gotta luv Emma and Oscar. Of course, now I say, “jackazz,” a lot more than I used to.

Favorite Corner Gas episode? — When Karen goes fishing with Hank. . .or anything about Emma and Oscar.

Boomer

Also, love Corner Gas!

Bay Kid 11-07-2023 07:13 AM

Loved the old Frasier. I'll give it try.