Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Do cart riders agree with this? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/do-cart-riders-agree-181133/)

VApeople 02-04-2016 08:09 PM

Do cart riders agree with this?

On a road with a cart path on the right side, it appears that people driving a car have a hard time turning right when a person driving a cart wants to go straight. This is what some people were told to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 1146102)
We drive the intersection at Morse and San Marino almost daily. Concerned and wanting to do the right thing when in our car, hubby made two separate visits to the Sheriffs annex to find out the best way to deal with a right turn up San Marino. He was told twice to check for carts traveling south in the golf cart lane, yield to them if they are close. If they are back in the lane he was told to move over, essentially blocking the golf cart lane, then make the turn up San Marino.

In short, the person driving the car pulls into the cart lane to block any carts that want to go straight. Then they turn right.

Do you all agree with this?

villagetinker 02-04-2016 08:33 PM

I try very hard to make sure there is not a cart CLOSE to me when making a right, if there is one, then I TURN ON MY TURN SIGNAL, move to the right so that the cart cannot get caught if they try to race me.
If it is TOO close, I will slow down and allow the cart to pass on the right, and then make my turn.
I would rather be safe, then be involved in an accident, and I am NOT in a hurry to get anywhere.

DonH57 02-04-2016 08:42 PM

I'm thinking if you follow what SCSO suggest to safely make a right turn you would not need to block off a golf cart.

fred53 02-04-2016 08:43 PM

I agree 99.9%...

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1181837)
I try very hard to make sure there is not a cart CLOSE to me when making a right, if there is one, then I TURN ON MY TURN SIGNAL, move to the right so that the cart cannot get caught if they try to race me.
If it is TOO close, I will slow down and allow the cart to pass on the right, and then make my turn.
I would rather be safe, then be involved in an accident, and I am NOT in a hurry to get anywhere.

as you never ever know when you might be in a hurry(emergencies don't always announce themselves so you can take your time), but I know what you mean.

tomwed 02-04-2016 08:47 PM

I think you did the smartest thing a person could do. You ask the Sheriff and then go back and ask him again to make sure you heard it right the first time.

That's how I'll do it when I'm driving. Before now I would stop my car, possibly holding up traffic until I'm positive there is no cart anywhere near me before making a right. Like Village Tink said I'm in no hurry either.

Opmoochler 02-04-2016 08:47 PM

We have a right turn at the bottom of a hill off a busy road (Odell Circle). It is not difficult to judge if there is enough time/space to get past and safely turn in front of a cart. Usually, I slow down with my right turn signal on and stay back enough to let the cart driver know I'll wait for him to pass the intersection before I turn. There is no need to drag race a golf cart!

villagetinker 02-04-2016 08:47 PM

Also, when driving our cart, I always look out for cars turning in front on me.

rjm1cc 02-04-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1181828)
On a road with a cart path on the right side, it appears that people driving a car have a hard time turning right when a person driving a cart wants to go straight. This is what some people were told to do.

In short, the person driving the car pulls into the cart lane to block any carts that want to go straight. Then they turn right.

Yes, the problem is that you are ahead of the cart and the cart is in your blind spot. Pulling over should be safer and I think it would agree with the law.

tomwed 02-04-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1181845)

The Sheriff is right. If a car is sitting in your diamond lane there is no confusion about their intention. It's a right turn.

DonH57 02-04-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1181845)

I understand that! In the 3 years we have lived here every day is a demonstration of defensive driving skills whether you are in a car or golf cart. Always look for the blitz!

njbchbum 02-05-2016 12:46 AM

Quote:

Why would anyone not agree with it?

john1953 02-05-2016 06:52 AM

Until now I have always stayed in the car lane when making a right turn,been doing this for 8 years.But I will change my routine and move over to the cart lane then make my right turn.It really does make sense.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 02-05-2016 07:07 AM

When I'm driving my golf cart I try not to run into any cars that are making a right hand turn. If there is a car with it's directional signal on, I wait for it to go by. If there is a car without a signal on, I slow down until I can determine the driver's intent. If I can't determine the driver's intent, I wait for the car to go past the intersection.

Cart drivers have to bear some responsibility as well. It's not rocket science.

graciegirl 02-05-2016 07:33 AM

///

Arctic Fox 02-05-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

On a road with a cart path on the right side, it appears that people driving a car have a hard time turning right when a person driving a cart wants to go straight...The person driving the car pulls into the cart lane to block any carts that want to go straight. Then they turn right.

I would agree with that strategy, with one proviso: with the amount of traffic currently on main roads like Morse, long lines of cars often form at the traffic lights or behind someone turning left, so the car driver should be careful not to move across too early or the cart lane will come to a stand-still too. Having said that, I should prefer to wait in line behind a turning car than be side-swiped by it at the junction.