Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Garage door repair (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/garage-door-repair-297786/)

ajbrown 09-06-2019 01:19 PM

Garage door repair

The garage door stopped opening today. In my non-expert opinion it looks to me that one of the springs has broken.

It is too heavy with that spring broken for the opener or me manually to open.

I can go pick someone off the Internet, but wondering if anyone has any experience with garage door repair folks, trustworthy being the key criteria.

It is not a remote control issue.

Thanks.

CWGUY 09-06-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 1679034)
The garage door stopped opening today. In my non-expert opinion it looks to me that one of the springs has broken.

It is too heavy with that spring broken for the opener or me manually to open.

I can go pick someone off the Internet, but wondering if anyone has any experience with garage door repair folks, trustworthy being the key criteria.

It is not a remote control issue.

Thanks.

I used Ryan O'Cull 352 617-0522. Search this site for him. He's the best! :ho:

600th Photo Sq 09-06-2019 02:12 PM

used Ryan O'Cull 352 617-0522. Search this site for him. He's the best!

Totally Agree!

retiredguy123 09-06-2019 02:17 PM

Have you pulled the string with the red handle to release the door from the spring mechanism? That may make is easier to open manually. The door is very light.

ajbrown 09-06-2019 02:22 PM

Discount Garage Doors

I had a PM recommend DGD. They are coming between 4 and 7. They are rated well, fingers crossed.

Being stuck in the garage is a bigger inconvenience than it would would seem :)

Thanks for the feedback. I admit I have a hard time finding stuff with the search function on this site.

ajbrown 09-06-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1679057)
Have you pulled the string with the red handle to release the door from the spring mechanism? That may make is easier to open manually. The door is very light.

I did, I cannot pick it up. From what I read it is 200 lbs.

PNaughton 09-06-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 1679062)
I did, I cannot pick it up. From what I read it is 200 lbs.

In a situation where the opening mechanism is defective or a blackout how do you open a two car reinforced garage door? That door must weigh hundreds of pounds with the steel horizontal supports.Pulling the red cord released the door from the motor but now how do you get it up without the help of at least six healthy people with working bones?

retiredguy123 09-06-2019 02:48 PM

I'm confused. My door is aluminium and extremely light. I have no problem lifting it up after pulling the red handle. The door should be designed to be operated manually.

ajbrown 09-06-2019 03:10 PM

FWIW, from: Garage Door Spring Repair in the Orlando & Tampa Area | DG Doors

Can’t I just pull the emergency release?
Unfortunately no, because the door will be too heavy to lift and won’t stay open even if you could. The springs are an important part of your garage door. They lift the weight of the door and when one of them breaks, neither you nor your opener can get your door open. In fact, attempting to help your opener lift the door while someone else pushes the button is extremely unsafe and can result in injury, damage to the garage door and/or opener. Most steel two-car garage doors weigh more than a couple of hundred pounds, with wood and hurricane doors weighing much more. Properly balanced and maintained springs are essential for safe and reliable operation of your garage door.

PS. thought I already posted this, but must of messed up...

mokey 09-06-2019 03:11 PM

Garage door

If the spring or springs are not broken it would be easy to lift when you release to opener

gatorbill1 09-06-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 1679061)
I had a PM recommend DGD. They are coming between 4 and 7. They are rated well, fingers crossed.

Being stuck in the garage is a bigger inconvenience than it would would seem :)

Thanks for the feedback. I admit I have a hard time finding stuff with the search function on this site.

anyone but them - Ryan has good reviews

ajbrown 09-06-2019 03:56 PM

Update

Based on fact that DGD could not get here until 7 or later, I called Ryan and left a message. He called back within 5 minutes and will be here within 30 minutes. I then cancelled DGD.

I really appreciate the recommendations. Thank you.

Will follow up with hopefully a :thumbup:

CWGUY 09-06-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1679101)
anyone but them - Ryan has good reviews

Ryan would have had it repaired by now! :1rotfl:

gatorbill1 09-06-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 1679103)
Based on fact that DGD could not get here until 7 or later, I called Ryan and left a message. He called back within 5 minutes and will be here within 30 minutes. I then cancelled DGD.

I really appreciate the recommendations. Thank you.

Will follow up with hopefully a :thumbup:

You made the right move. DGD would have been 3 times more $$$ at least. They are the worst

ajbrown 09-06-2019 04:34 PM

To end the thread, I have nothing but positive comments about Ryan O'Cull.

:clap2::clap2:

Thank you once again for the tips.