Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Keeping Geckos outside lanai slider/screen door (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/keeping-geckos-outside-lanai-slider-screen-door-317040/)

woolman44 03-04-2021 04:44 PM

Keeping Geckos outside lanai slider/screen door

Anyone have a clever idea on how to keep Geckos from entering an enclosed lanai through small gaps at top and bottom of sliding door/ screen?
I’ve used various methods from inside lanai, but I think an outside method would function and look more pleasing. Sheet metal from aluminum used as wiper has not deterred them.......help!

REDCART 03-04-2021 05:26 PM

I think the smaller anoles are also able to use the expansion joints that extend under the screen sill plate, to enter the lanai. However, If you block them you’ll also block the natural drainage for water. We also hate keeping the sliding doors closed to restrict the anoles from coming inside.

Stu from NYC 03-04-2021 05:34 PM

Keep an egret inside your house?

shut the front door 03-04-2021 05:37 PM

They aren't harmful, they will leave when they get the opportunity. Coming from a land of mosquitos, I don't really understand the fear of the anoles. I have a small net that I keep around just to get them and put them back outside, but they aren't snakes, gators or mosquitos so I would never spend a lot of time worrying about them. They're cute! Name them!

CFrance 03-04-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shut the front door (Post 1910810)
They aren't harmful, they will leave when they get the opportunity. Coming from a land of mosquitos, I don't really understand the fear of the anoles. I have a small net that I keep around just to get them and put them back outside, but they aren't snakes, gators or mosquitos so I would never spend a lot of time worrying about them. They're cute! Name them!

I posthumously name the desiccated ones I find under the couch, RIP.

woolman44 03-04-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDCART (Post 1910801)
I think the smaller anoles are also able to use the expansion joints that extend under the screen sill plate, to enter the lanai. However, If you block them you’ll also block the natural drainage for water. We also hate keeping the sliding doors closed to restrict the anoles from coming inside.

Your correct, it is actually more anoles than gecko’s getting inside. The little droppings they leave behind are biggest negative!

HiHoSteveO 03-04-2021 06:59 PM

Use search function here for fast answers

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolman44 (Post 1910793)
Anyone have a clever idea on how to keep Geckos from entering an enclosed lanai through small gaps at top and bottom of sliding door/ screen?
I’ve used various methods from inside lanai, but I think an outside method would function and look more pleasing. Sheet metal from aluminum used as wiper has not deterred them.......help!

It is quicker and easier if you use the search function on TOTV
Start with "anole"
You'll see that it has been asked and answered many times before.

JohnN 03-04-2021 08:07 PM

a cat

woolman44 03-04-2021 08:41 PM

Yup, did the search earlier.....nothing helpful.

2CopsMom 03-05-2021 06:05 AM

Anoles

Just an idea...but, I wonder if the snake repellent would keep them away. It is made from cinnamon, clove and other spice oils and is in granular form. You just sprinkle it around the foundation on the outside. Snakes apparently hate the scent (which is quite pleasant, by the way). Maybe anoles won't like it either. Might be worth a try. You can probably get it a Lowes or Home Depot.

JULIE2049 03-05-2021 06:05 AM

I use Rodent Sheriff, peppermint aroma, not harmful, no bugs like it. IT WORKS

sasman29 03-05-2021 06:10 AM

Anole control

Get a cat :-)

sallystew 03-05-2021 06:29 AM

Anoles

I've lived in FL for 30 years and learned early on just to leave them alone. They do nothing to harm your home, are beneficial to our environment and are definitely cuter than alligators and snakes!

Jimf2018 03-05-2021 06:55 AM

Caulking

Silicone caulking around the outside edges has worked great.

exohio 03-05-2021 07:02 AM

We use individual wrapped moth ball packets placed under the lanai door. That seems to work. There is some odor though.