Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Just For Fun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/)
-   -   Wear White After labor Day??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/wear-white-after-labor-day-334884/)

Bonanza 09-02-2022 01:31 AM

Wear White After labor Day???

The rule of thumb is that you don't wear white after Labor Day which holds true even in Florida,
but you can resume doing so after Memorial Day.

How about when it's 37 degrees in February?

White sneakers are always the exception!

Why yes or Why not?

Stu from NYC 09-02-2022 07:11 AM

I have stuck to the rule you can wear white until the first real snowfall of over 6 inches.

JMintzer 09-02-2022 07:37 AM

Isn't "Winter White" a thing?

BrianL99 09-02-2022 07:50 AM

Maybe as the South expands and the average age of Villagers decreases, the mentality will stop being mired in the 50's & 60's.

Perhaps we'll even see a band at a square, wearing white and refusing to play Mustang Sally.

shut the front door 09-02-2022 08:53 AM

The concept of not wearing white after Labor Day started in the 19th century as a way for the upper class to separate themselves from the working class.
We're beyond that and the whole concept went out decades ago.

tophcfa 09-02-2022 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2132344)
Perhaps we'll even see a band at a square, wearing white and refusing to play Mustang Sally.

Sallie wears white year round. And it’s not Mustang Sally, it’s Golf Cart Sallie, cause all she wants to do is ride along Sallie, ride Sallie ride : )

billethkid 09-02-2022 09:11 AM

Concept belongs in the archives very near the buggy whips!!

:censored:

BlueStarAirlines 09-02-2022 12:31 PM

Next you are going to tell me I shouldn't wear my three piece suit to the squares and that top hats are no longer in fashion!

Boomer 09-02-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 2132275)
The rule of thumb is that you don't wear white after Labor Day which holds true even in Florida,
but you can resume doing so after Memorial Day.

How about when it's 37 degrees in February?

White sneakers are always the exception!

Why yes or Why not?

Oh my! Such a quandary……….

And now, a lot of early boomer women reading this are probably asking themselves, “What would my mother say.” (There is no question mark needed at the end of that last sentence because the question is rhetorical. We all know what our mothers would say.)

But……..we front-of-the-boom women did a lot of things our mothers told us not to do. We came of age on the cusp of some real change.

Personally, I would not wear my white jeans or shoes in Cincinnati after Labor Day. But in TV when it is really hot, I might think about it……

Boomer

Stu from NYC 09-02-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines (Post 2132446)
Next you are going to tell me I shouldn't wear my three piece suit to the squares and that top hats are no longer in fashion!

Heaven forbid that top hats go out of fashion

BrianL99 09-02-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2132467)
Heaven forbid that top hats go out of fashion

... or root beer, running boards and baby doll pajamas.

Djean1981 09-02-2022 06:10 PM

As far as attire, do what you want.

lindaelane 09-03-2022 04:45 AM

Wearing White

I am 65. I heard that rule for shoes only - not clothes - when I was age 6, and followed it until white tennis shoes were popular for all. I don't know if people in the hotter South ever had such a rule for clothes. If they did, it is gone.

Yes, I know white clothes help the wearer feel cooler than dark ones would. But south of a certain latitude it is quite hot until well into Autumn.

Also, we had what we called "winter white". No one avoided wearing, for instance, a white sweater. I think that is well known, even by those much older than myself.

I have heard of women being condemned by other women for wearing white shoes to a non-summer job interview, as late as the early 2000s. I think that is sad.

Hey, if a person is covering up the squiggly and hairy bits, I have no complaints about their attire.

La lamy 09-03-2022 05:00 AM

My mother taught us that we'll look like painters if we wear white after Labor Day. Oh my!!! How happy I am to stop that ridiculous mindset. Wear what you want, when you want is my motto.

bowlingal 09-03-2022 05:09 AM

so, if you vacation in the Caribbean in Feb where the temp is about 85....you don't wear white?