Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Where are the Ambassadors? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/where-ambassadors-317102/)

sdeikenberry 03-06-2021 06:16 AM

Where are the Ambassadors?

Played Glenview yesterday, 0742 tee time. After making the turn, we immediately started experiencing 14 minute holes. By hole 6 on Talley Ho, we called the pro shop and asked them to send someone out...we had not seen an ambassador since we began the round on Stirrup Cup. Our complaint was the 14 minute holes. An ambassador showed up within minutes of our call, explained a group three holes ahead of us was playing slow since they teed off, and they were warned once, but not asked to skip holes. The ambassador said they now have two ambassadors for three nines, and it's been that way for some time. He said that's the reason they can't get around to check on everyone or keep players on pace. If this bothers you, call golf administration and encourage them to have one ambassador for every nine. Golf Administration phone number is 352.753.3396.

mikreb 03-06-2021 06:58 AM

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but isn't 14 minutes the estimated time per hole based on the scorecard.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/cham...s/GLENVIEW.pdf

Polar Bear 03-06-2021 07:35 AM

14 min/hole is roughly two hours for nine holes. Not out of line imo.

Bay Kid 03-06-2021 07:41 AM

A beautiful day!

stanley 03-06-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdeikenberry (Post 1911405)
Played Glenview yesterday, 0742 tee time. After making the turn, we immediately started experiencing 14 minute holes.

Again a prime example of the first few tee times playing fast and hitting the backside of the wave on the next nine. When that happens you "think" play is slow on the back. Did you happen to ask the Ambassador where "you" were on "your" time for the holes you played? Did he tell you? I bet you were at least twenty minutes ahead.

bilcon 03-06-2021 08:05 AM

It is amazing that when you think you are playing slow, it really doesn't end up that way. You might have a slow group in front, or they look slow, but in the end you are finished within the four hours. I know that waiting on the fairway or on the tee too long can ruin your momentum., and you could have been done in 3 and a half hours. Don't fret, the beer will still be cold.

dewilson58 03-06-2021 08:12 AM

The ambass's don't do and can't do squat.

Never have, Never will.
We are no longer in Kansas Toto.
It's The Villages, full of old people.....it's four hour rounds.
Once in a while, +4 hours.
Leave the chart children alone.

:ho:

collie1228 03-06-2021 09:04 AM

Just wait until the minimum wage goes up to $10.00 in September, with an annual further increase of $1.00 an hour each year until it reaches $15.00. I doubt The Villages is willing to pay that much for a person to pass out sand and water.

dewilson58 03-06-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1911494)
$15.00. I doubt The Villages is willing to pay that much for a person to pass out sand and water.

Sure they will.
Plans are in place already.
Reduction of golf discounts.
:thumbup:

bilcon 03-06-2021 10:36 AM

When I retired in NY in the early 2000's, my wife still worked and I was bored. One of the local golf courses asked me to be a Ranger. I could work 3 weekdays, so I was still off weekends. I was paid $8 an hour and could play all the golf I wanted during the other weekdays or after work for free. If was an easy job because I had the power to move slow golfers along, and the free $55 weekday greens fees with a cart were a great incentive. If the weather was rainy, I would run the pro shop and the pro would take off. They give the ambassadors here squat.

CWGUY 03-06-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilcon (Post 1911554)
When I retired in NY in the early 2000's, my wife still worked and I was bored. One of the local golf courses asked me to be a Ranger. I could work 3 weekdays, so I was still off weekends. I was paid $8 an hour and could play all the golf I wanted during the other weekdays or after work for free. If was an easy job because I had the power to move slow golfers along, and the free $55 weekday greens fees with a cart were a great incentive. If the weather was rainy, I would run the pro shop and the pro would take off. They give the ambassadors here squat.

They get 1/2 price golf, which is :coolsmiley:

drcar 03-06-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1911460)
The ambass's don't do and can't do squat.

Never have, Never will.
We are no longer in Kansas Toto.
It's The Villages, full of old people.....it's four hour rounds.
Once in a while, +4 hours.
Leave the chart children alone.

:ho:

You are correct 4 hour rounds are the norm. BUT you are incorrect about the ambassadors. Maybe before you make a false statement that they can't do "squat" you should check with course management. Or become one and find out what the real situation is.

stanley 03-06-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1911565)
They get 1/2 price golf, which is :coolsmiley:

And employee discounts on merchandise. There are other "perks" depending on what you do extra

stanley 03-06-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcar (Post 1911570)
You are correct 4 hour rounds are the norm. BUT you are incorrect about the ambassadors. Maybe before you make a false statement that they can't do "squat" you should check with course management. Or become one and find out what the real situation is.

Thanks! And we do take offense at the "don't do squat" BS

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-06-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1911494)
Just wait until the minimum wage goes up to $10.00 in September, with an annual further increase of $1.00 an hour each year until it reaches $15.00. I doubt The Villages is willing to pay that much for a person to pass out sand and water.

No, that's not exactly how it will go down. From my experience working in a state where minimum wage went up every year while I was working in a minimum wage job:

1. They will expect employees to do more for their money.
2. Those who are on various programs (food stamps, social security) will discover their higher income cuts into their eligibility or full amount, and will either quit their jobs or ask for a reduction in hours, thus making room for someone else to fill the slot.
3. In some places (probably not the Villages, where they have bare-bones staff to start with) they'll reduce hours of low-wage employees or eliminate positions entirely, or put a freeze on new-hires.
4. They'll reduce/remove benefits previously offered to low-wage part time employees.