Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Screening on Garage doors. Please educate me (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/screening-garage-doors-please-educate-me-348045/)

BubblesandPat 02-26-2024 08:43 AM

Screening on Garage doors. Please educate me

We see various types of screening on garage doors. Some look like they kind of fold to the side some look like curtains. This is a new concept to us. DH loves working in the garage..is screening worth the expense? We are just curious about this..do you have it installed?

4$ALE 02-26-2024 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblesandPat (Post 2305279)
We see various types of screening on garage doors. Some look like they kind of fold to the side some look like curtains. This is a new concept to us. DH loves working in the garage..is screening worth the expense? We are just curious about this..do you have it installed?

:) We have it and it is definitely worth it to us...... YMMV. We have the 4 section sliders and love them. Had them installed nearly 20 years ago.

villagetinker 02-26-2024 09:17 AM

I work in the garage all the time, and no screens, we also have a NORTH facing garage if it was West facing, I would probably have the screens, and then in White color

snbrafford 02-26-2024 10:02 AM

Watch door clearance

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblesandPat (Post 2305279)

We don't have one. A relative had one but it reduced the amount of vertical door clearance by a few inches which prevented them from pulling their SUV into the garage. For that reason, they remove the screen. I would also watch for the horizontal clearance.
You may want to consider a garage fan instead that is installed in the garage ceiling that sucks air from the garage into the attack. We have one of these but the previous owner did not put it on a switch so I have to get on a step stool to plug it in when I want to use it. There are two small screened vents in the garage door to allow for air intake. The fan does move quite a bit of air.

Topspinmo 02-26-2024 10:34 AM

Some garages gets real hot in summers. Some use screens, sliding or roll up. Some have vents in lower portion of garage door on each side. Some air condition their garage. Depends on what you plan on doing in garage or it you’re even here during May through October The hot humid months? For most situations vents seems to work, creates air flow. On older houses the garage vented to attic creating up flow or down flow depending on temperature and wind. Roll up screen work best in evenings you can leave garage door up still have somewhat secure garage and cooler air cools off garage faster and keeps it cooler longer in mornings. Also some us window fans to pull cooler air in?

BubblesandPat 02-26-2024 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2305331)
Some garages gets real hot in summers. Some use screens, sliding or roll up. Some have vents in lower portion of garage door on each side. Some air condition their garage. Depends on what you plan on doing in garage or it you’re even here during May through October The hot humid months? For most situations vents seems to work, creates air flow. On older houses the garage vented to attic creating up flow or down flow depending on temperature and wind. Roll up screen work best in evenings you can leave garage door up still have somewhat secure garage and cooler air cools off garage faster and keeps it cooler longer in mornings. Also some us window fans to pull cooler air in?

That does lead to another question. We have two windows in the garage. I am sure windows a/cs are not allowed but are portable a/c where you put a vent in the window ..are they allowed?

Cool Breeze Roll screens 03-01-2024 07:04 PM

Cool breeze roll screens

4 Attachment(s)
Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors, interior motorized shades,privacy-hurricane shutters and awning.
We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have the Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.
888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@Yahoo.com

SIRE1 03-01-2024 07:53 PM

We have the slider type screens for our garage. And what I really like about them is it keeps out critters, anoles, and snakes while allowing me to work in the garage. And since the slider types allow you to open any of the panels, you can keep the ends closed so that the critters won't typically come in while you are going in or out. So YES, I'm really glad we have them.

A lot of people say they like the roll up type because they don't have to get out of the car to open the screens, but I usually leave the panels pushed to the side and just open/close the garage door with the remote when I'm in the car or the cart.