Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pro Golf (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/)
-   -   Root of ALL EVIL.....Money....pga players, what's next? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/root-all-evil-money-pga-players-whats-next-346437/)

jebartle 12-30-2023 03:32 PM

Root of ALL EVIL.....Money....pga players, what's next?

Football?, baseball?, apple pie?, congress I'm sure, I just hate it! But I'm sure when offered $556,000,000 (like jon rahm), most of us would be history also, have we no moral compass any more? Where does this end, when Saudis run out of money?

fdpaq0580 12-30-2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 2286694)
Football?, baseball?, apple pie?, congress I'm sure, I just hate it! But I'm sure when offered $556,000,000 (like jon rahm), most of us would be history also, have we no moral compass any more? Where does this end, when Saudis run out of money?

I don't understand. What does a moral compass have to to do with it? He plays golf for a living. It is a job. It is his J O B! He's not throwing old ladies out of their homes, or tying damsels to railroad tracks or other dastardly things. He opted to get a better paying position in another company. Like an American League player moving to the National League.

tophcfa 12-30-2023 05:30 PM

For over a half a billion dollars, my morals are for sale.

fdpaq0580 12-30-2023 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2286718)
For over a half a billion dollars, my morals are for sale.

My allegiance to my country and my wife are the only things not for sale!

Note,the two things listed in alphabetical order.

ThirdOfFive 12-30-2023 05:46 PM

Quote:

So?

fdpaq0580 12-30-2023 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2286721)
So?

That's tellin' him.

OrangeBlossomBaby 12-30-2023 09:31 PM

Quote:

That ship sailed in 1979 when Nolan Ryan became the first athlete to earn $1M in a single season.

Topspinmo 12-30-2023 10:08 PM

Quote:

No matter what profession it’s ALL about money and ALWAYS will be until money is worthless. Then, that’s when real animals show their face.

Two Bills 12-31-2023 04:55 AM

...... have we no moral compass any more?

So in your world, anyone who takes a better paying job with less work, and more benefits, lacks moral compass.
I never realized all my working years I lacked moral compass!

Dusty_Star 12-31-2023 05:58 AM

Quote:

I saw an interesting interview with Lee Trevino, & (spoiler alert) he said the PGA can't compete. I'll look to see if I can find it again.

Dusty_Star 12-31-2023 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2286763)
I saw an interesting interview with Lee Trevino, & (spoiler alert) he said the PGA can't compete. I'll look to see if I can find it again.

Here it is. “I don’t know where it’s going, but I will say this: that if it is true that they have $600 billion in that kitty, I don’t know how we’re going to compete,” Trevino said. “When you look at it, they’re starting to get better and better players. If they get points — they’re negotiating now, if I’m not mistaken, to get points — if that happens, if they go to four rounds at LIV and take that tour to 60, and still pay these players, I can’t tell you how many players we’re gonna lose. And good ones.

“They can absolutely drown you,” Trevino continued. “What can we do? We’re nonprofit. And when we run out of money, there’s no way we can fight it. And you know what I’m afraid of? If they get a network, then they might not need the tour.”

Lee Trevino's take on the PGA Tour's uphill battle with LIV Golf

Marathon Man 12-31-2023 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 (Post 2286705)
I don't understand. What does a moral compass have to to do with it? He plays golf for a living. It is a job. It is his J O B! He's not throwing old ladies out of their homes, or tying damsels to railroad tracks or other dastardly things. He opted to get a better paying position in another company. Like an American League player moving to the National League.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2286760)

So in your world, anyone who takes a better paying job with less work, and more benefits, lacks moral compass.

Well said.

ThirdOfFive 12-31-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2286760)

Story from long ago....this is an adult board, right?

A gentleman approached a lady and asked "would you sleep with me for ten million dollars?"

"Of course", the lady replied. "I'd be a fool not to".

The gentleman then asked "would you sleep with me for TEN dollars?

"What do you think I am", the woman snapped at him. "A w___e?"

"We've already established that", the gentleman replied. "Now we're just trying to agree on price".

Davonu 12-31-2023 09:37 AM

“Root of ALL EVIL.....Money”

A pretty big part of most good in our society too.

jebartle 12-31-2023 10:08 AM

Saudi's, their intent is not about making America great (hmmmm!), no, they are making Saudi's better, a country at the heart of an attack on America, which I will NEVER forgive because their future intent has not changed, nor will mine.
I would NEVER challenge intents of others BUT, with my broad brush, I can safely say, Saudi leadership is BAD TO THE BONE!