Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   carrots, potatoes, onions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/carrots-potatoes-onions-271305/)

tomwed 08-29-2018 05:00 PM

carrots, potatoes, onions

Last night I picked up a 7 lb pork butt [which is really the shoulder] that was deeply discounted. I trimmed the fat, and divided into 3 portions, froze 3 and browned the piece with the bone, put it in the crock pot, 2/3rds up with water, bay leaf, 6 hours later it's tender. no surprises so far

I knew if I threw in the veggies in the crock they wood cook away, get mushy maybe greasy. So I boiled them separately in some broth and water till tender but that was nothing special until drained them and added 1/2 T brown sugar, splash of vinegar, 2t's of Dijon, black pepper and chilled it. That tastes great.

I hope the next time I have a crowd I remember. It can all be done the day before.

fw102807 08-29-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1576438)
Last night I picked up a 7 lb pork butt [which is really the shoulder] that was deeply discounted. I trimmed the fat, and divided into 3 portions, froze 3 and browned the piece with the bone, put it in the crock pot, 2/3rds up with water, bay leaf, 6 hours later it's tender. no surprises so far

I knew if I threw in the veggies in the crock they wood cook away, get mushy maybe greasy. So I boiled them separately in some broth and water till tender but that was nothing special until drained them and added 1/2 T brown sugar, splash of vinegar, 2t's of Dijon, black pepper and chilled it. That tastes great.

I hope the next time I have a crowd I remember. It can all be done the day before.

So they were 2 separate dishes? The broth from the pork or separate broth? I am a cooking dunce you have to spell out everything for me.

Bjeanj 08-29-2018 05:38 PM

Yum!

tomwed 08-29-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw102807 (Post 1576444)
So they were 2 separate dishes? The broth from the pork or separate broth? I am a cooking dunce you have to spell out everything for me.

I put the meat in the crock pot and when it was done drained it. That's the broth. Next I boiled the veggies in the broth in a separate pot. When they were done I used the broth again. This time I put the cooked pork in the broth to store in the refrigerator

To serve nuke the meat in the broth and serve the veggies cold. Corn bread might go well.

I left out an important step. You need to remove the fat from the broth before you cook the veggies.

fw102807 08-29-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1576453)
I put the meat in the crock pot and when it was done drained it. That's the broth. Next I boiled the veggies in the broth in a separate pot. When they were done I used the broth again. This time I put the cooked pork in the broth to store in the refrigerator

To serve nuke the meat in the broth and serve the veggies cold. Corn bread might go well.

Thanks, got it.

manaboutown 08-29-2018 07:14 PM

Great comfort food! Thanks!

Abby10 08-29-2018 08:06 PM

Sounds NOTHING but yummy! Thanks, tomwed.

redwitch 08-30-2018 07:55 AM

And you don’t have to worry about remembering it — you can just search for it here. 😀😛😀

Sounds good.

CFrance 08-30-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1576438)

Wait, what? You chilled the vegetables, and that tastes great? I am not a dunce cook, but this is a little confusing to me. You cut it into three portions, then froze all three... so the bone made a fourth portion that still had some meat on it? Did you make a soup out of the bone and the veggies, or...?

tomwed 08-30-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1576570)
Wait, what? You chilled the vegetables, and that tastes great? I am not a dunce cook, but this is a little confusing to me. You cut it into three portions, then froze all three... so the bone made a fourth portion that still had some meat on it? Did you make a soup out of the bone and the veggies, or...?

Yes. I made it more confusing then need be.

One portion had the bone and meat and I guess you could say I made a soup out of it but I only seasoned with a bay leaf and S&P after browning. I took the soup broth and degreased it and cooked the veggies separately in that broth. I had to add water. When the veggies were a little under-cooked I chilled them and made a kind of cold German Potato salad out of them. I used brown sugar instead of white. That's all I had and it turned out great. It's not bland.

I am soaking the cooked pork in the meat/veggie broth in the frig to keep the meat moist.

WD