Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sawgrass Grove Market - Nothing but the FACTS (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sawgrass-grove-market-nothing-but-facts-335129/)

Graspher 09-12-2022 09:53 AM

Sawgrass Grove Market - Nothing but the FACTS

Our first visit was Sunday 9/11 - arrived 12:05 p.m. About 50 people milling around - 20 surrounding the bar area - 4 tables were occupied.

Chose Frenchy's for a wood-fired pizza - 4 employees working the pizza production.

"I'd like a medium pepperoni and sausage pizza".

"We only make one size and it's 12 inches. You can't order a pepperoni and sausage pizza. You can only order a pizza as described on our menu - but we can add and subtract toppings."

Their menu details 5 or 6 pizza combinations (each selectable pizza has several toppings on it). One of their selections includes sausage plus other toppings and another of their selections features pepperoni plus other toppings.

We chose their "sausage" pizza - deleted the onions - deleted the roasted green peppers...and added pepperoni.

The sausage combo pizza is priced at $15.00. No monetary deduction for eliminating the onions or peppers. There was an upcharge of $3.00 for the pepperoni. Total including a tax of $1.36 was $19.36.

I handed over $20 in cash. The receipt showed Total Due 19.36 / pymt cash 20.00 / Change Due .64. The cash register knows change is due - but Frenchy's policy is - they don't give coin change. They have a sign that says no coin provided but it is not located near the register.

Our pizza order was placed at 12:13pm (per the receipt). Our boxed pizza was presented to us at 12:48pm. Paper plates were not offered - but were provided upon request. The paper plates were....more paper then anything else. Very flimsy and couldn't support the weight of a small slice of pizza with just two toppings on it.

Frenchy's uses a wood-fired oven. The bottom of the crust was not crispy and was absent any degree of visible leoparding.

Darlin's Sweet Shoppe will not accept cash - only cards.

At least one other establishment (possibly 2) have signs posted indicating they will not provide any coin type change.

The majority of seating in the market area consists of flat steel or solid wood seat bottoms.

Them the facts and nothing but the facts...

Stu from NYC 09-12-2022 10:05 AM

And to think we once had legal tender.

Guess they think they are doing you a favor even making your pizza.

Two Bills 09-12-2022 10:27 AM

What is the world coming too?
Back in my youth, you could even get the staff to eat the pizza for you if you were in a hurry!:D

kkingston57 09-12-2022 10:38 AM

Just got back from Canada and they have eliminated the use of pennies. Agree that is a good idea. Article discussed no cash/change. Looks like business owner does not trust own employees. Next thing biz will want us to use phone to pay bills. Not a good idea especially in TV.

retiredguy123 09-12-2022 10:41 AM

After reading the facts, I'll go out on a limb, and conclude that the OP was not exactly delighted with Sawgrass Grove.

coffeebean 09-12-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2135735)
After reading the facts, I'll go out on a limb, and conclude that the OP was not exactly delighted with Sawgrass Grove.

That would be my guess.

retiredguy123 09-12-2022 10:50 AM

So, statistically, if you process 50 cash transactions, you will make an extra 25 dollars by keeping the coin change. That assumes that the customers do not use any coins either.

Babubhat 09-12-2022 11:03 AM

Call Morgan and Morgan. They enjoy class action suits. The more people not given change the better.

alwann 09-12-2022 11:11 AM

Change

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graspher (Post 2135700)
Our first visit was Sunday 9/11 - arrived 12:05 p.m. About 50 people milling around - 20 surrounding the bar area - 4 tables were occupied.

Chose Frenchy's for a wood-fired pizza - 4 employees working the pizza production.

"I'd like a medium pepperoni and sausage pizza".

"We only make one size and it's 12 inches. You can't order a pepperoni and sausage pizza. You can only order a pizza as described on our menu - but we can add and subtract toppings."

Their menu details 5 or 6 pizza combinations (each selectable pizza has several toppings on it). One of their selections includes sausage plus other toppings and another of their selections features pepperoni plus other toppings.

We chose their "sausage" pizza - deleted the onions - deleted the roasted green peppers...and added pepperoni.

The sausage combo pizza is priced at $15.00. No monetary deduction for eliminating the onions or peppers. There was an upcharge of $3.00 for the pepperoni. Total including a tax of $1.36 was $19.36.

I handed over $20 in cash. The receipt showed Total Due 19.36 / pymt cash 20.00 / Change Due .64. The cash register knows change is due - but Frenchy's policy is - they don't give coin change. They have a sign that says no coin provided but it is not located near the register.

Our pizza order was placed at 12:13pm (per the receipt). Our boxed pizza was presented to us at 12:48pm. Paper plates were not offered - but were provided upon request. The paper plates were....more paper then anything else. Very flimsy and couldn't support the weight of a small slice of pizza with just two toppings on it.

Frenchy's uses a wood-fired oven. The bottom of the crust was not crispy and was absent any degree of visible leoparding.

Darlin's Sweet Shoppe will not accept cash - only cards.

At least one other establishment (possibly 2) have signs posted indicating they will not provide any coin type change.

The majority of seating in the market area consists of flat steel or solid wood seat bottoms.

Them the facts and nothing but the facts...

Please don't tell me they also had a tip jar.

ThirdOfFive 09-12-2022 11:16 AM

"Darlin's Sweet Shoppe will not accept cash - only cards."

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" ($1 bill, U.S. currency)

JRP2TV 09-12-2022 11:21 AM

I haven't used cash or coins in years. Using a card and paying it in full each month is much easier, cleaner and profitable with perks.

Stu from NYC 09-12-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 2135753)
Please don't tell me they also had a tip jar.

Probably a very big one at that

retiredguy123 09-12-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRP2TV (Post 2135761)
I haven't used cash or coins in years. Using a card and paying it in full each month is much easier, cleaner and profitable with perks.

At Palmers Country Club, it will cost you an extra 3.75 percent to use a credit card. Probably not profitable there.

PugMom 09-12-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2135735)

i did make it over there last week, & i hate to admit it, but was disappointed in the businesses inside & design. the place appears to still be under construction-the stage isn't even set up, or seats installed. the food/drink offerings were limited @ best. i will return again soon, some months from now & give a second look. it's early on, & i'm sure will get better :thumbup:

VApeople 09-12-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 2135770)
it's early on, & i'm sure will get better

Yeah, we feel the same way.

We have been at Sawgrass a few times and were not impressed. Even Goldwingnut, in his recent video, commented how noisy it was, and that was when there was no singer inside.

It did not seem to be a place where we would like to stop and have a drink or a snack after riding our bikes.

Anyway, we will keep on enjoying our life in TV and see if Sawgrass improves. If not, we know a lot of other places that we enjoy.