Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Alcoholic Beverages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/alcoholic-beverages-346915/)

retiredguy123 01-17-2024 03:18 PM

Alcoholic Beverages

For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.

alwann 01-17-2024 03:35 PM

Drink sensibly

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2292233)
For someone with no serious health issues, and who has been drinking 3 to 4 alcoholic beverages every day for 60 years, does it really make any sense to quit? Opinions please.

No. If that's an honest statistic, in my opinion. Any DUIs on your driving record? Any stop-or-I'll-leave-you demands from spouse(s)? No, then why do you ask?

Winston Churchill started each day with booze and ended each day with booze, and he lived until age 90. If your body isn't telling you something's wrong, then enjoy your remaining years with a pop or two a day. Like when my doctor told me to eat less, I told him, at my age it's the only thing I still do well.

Boomer 01-17-2024 03:45 PM

Somebody once told me that there are drinkers and there are alcoholics and there is a big difference.

But I don’t know the answer to the question. Maybe it is a matter of Can the person quit? v. Should the person quit? v. Why should the person quit?

Boomer

Chi-Town 01-17-2024 03:52 PM

Quote:

Tell me, what do you think?

retiredguy123 01-17-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 2292242)
Tell me, what do you think?

Personally, I think it makes no sense, and could possibly be harmful. But, I don't know.

photo1902 01-17-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Here you go, RG123. You've opened up the flood gates for comments :)

oldtimes 01-17-2024 04:01 PM

Quote:

Juice has too much sugar, coffee and tea have caffeine that is bad, decaf is done with chemicals which are bad, even bottled water is now bad so really what can you safely drink?

LuvNH 01-17-2024 04:07 PM

With respect, why would you ask a chat line group this question? If you are the drinker and your doctor told you to quit then there may be a reason to stop. Nobody here can possibly answer your question without a lot more information which you probably do not want to put out there.

retiredguy123 01-17-2024 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvNH (Post 2292247)
With respect, why would you ask a chat line group this question? If you are the drinker and your doctor told you to quit then there may be a reason to stop. Nobody here can possibly answer your question without a lot more information which you probably do not want to put out there.

I think I provided sufficient information for posters to express an opinion. To me, it is an interesting question.

Two Bills 01-17-2024 04:27 PM

I know I joke about being a drunk, but I knocked serious drinking on the head many moons ago.
I have the odd pint, and a glass of wine with dinner some nights.
My opinion is the less you imbibe as you age the better.
Brain and body slowing down anyway, no need to help it on its way.

Have you considered a breathalyzer test in mornings.
Have a friend who had a few beers each night, and got nicked for driving over the limit next day.
May surprise you what alcohol level you are driving under!

Stu from NYC 01-17-2024 04:39 PM

In my case my body has told me to cut down on drinking. Specifically my liver.

LuvNH 01-17-2024 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2292248)
I think I provided sufficient information for posters to express an opinion. To me, it is an interesting question.

I stand corrected, it is an interesting question and should get some very interesting answers.

I used to enjoy a drink now and again until one very hot summer day I drank too much and ended up with a three day dry heaves episode. You will only understand how much I wanted to die if you have ever experienced the dry heaves. I no longer drink, even the smell of it turns my stomach.

badkarma318 01-17-2024 04:52 PM

Do you drink by yourself on a regular basis?

Have you ever had any alcohol-related problems - DUIs, arrests/legal issues, physical violence, accidents around the home, "the shakes", etc.?

Do you crave alcohol, or could you quit "cold turkey" if you wanted to - being 100% honest with yourself?

If it has not affected your health in any significant way, and you're always in control and show good judgement (not getting in the golf cart/car right after pounding 4 beers), I see no reason why you should quit.

dewilson58 01-17-2024 04:57 PM

Maybe you should test and see if you have any liver damage.

From Mayo:
As the liver becomes more severely damaged, more obvious and serious symptoms can develop, such as: yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (jaundice) swelling in the legs, ankles and feet caused by a build-up of fluid (oedema) swelling in your abdomen caused by a build-up of fluid known as ascites.

How do you get tested for liver damage?
Aspartate transaminase (AST).
What is the best indicator of liver damage?
Aspartate transaminase (AST).
An increase in AST levels may mean liver damage, liver disease or muscle damage. This test is sometimes referred to as SGOT.

You can trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

;)

asianthree 01-17-2024 05:12 PM

Quitting would be harder than just cutting back. But at that age why, unless too many are constantly giving the person too much grief to deal with then maybe you just need to get different people.

answer is no why quit now.