Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Yes or No re Painting the ceiling (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/yes-no-re-painting-ceiling-268161/)

BRN_RI_FL 07-19-2018 05:48 AM

Yes or No re Painting the ceiling

If we don’t upgrade to a bigger place and garage, we may have some interior painting done at our courtyard villa (which we love despite a few shortcomings). Do most people paint their ceilings white (as opposed to the current off-white) when having the walls painted?

retiredguy123 07-19-2018 06:07 AM

I think that painting the ceilings, walls, and trim all the same color is a way for the builder to save money. That is how they painted rental apartments up north. But, using a "ceiling white" paint on the ceilings will provide a brighter look to the house. But, I really think it is personal preference.

aninjamom 07-19-2018 06:13 AM

I have painted walls and ceiling all the same color, I think it makes the room look bigger and ceiling higher because of the continuity. Personal opinion. Light colors only of course.

billethkid 07-19-2018 06:55 AM

I never repaint ceilings......almost nobody ever looks up....in a normal household environment they do not get dirty......stains/etc for whatever reason = different story.....then ceiling white (so I know where the room ends!).

Investment Painting Contractors 07-19-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucernelson (Post 1563711)
If we don’t upgrade to a bigger place and garage, we may have some interior painting done at our courtyard villa (which we love despite a few shortcomings). Do most people paint their ceilings white (as opposed to the current off-white) when having the walls painted?

If you have popcorn ceilings they will have to be primed before they can be painted. That said the choice is purely yours. We removed our popcorn and painted our ceilings bright white. You also didn't say what color you were going to paint the walls, some colors look great with the "Villages White"

graciegirl 07-19-2018 07:22 AM

I think how the ceiling looks is relative. Probably more important to honeymooners.

John_W 07-19-2018 09:07 AM

My CYV ceiling is white, I thought they were all that way until I went into my neighbors home. As soon as I walked in I thought a smoker lived there, the walls and ceiling looked aged, or somewhat dirty. I found out that every other home in our villa community had white or light tan, and of course to save money they spray the ceiling the same. Little did I know we were one of the lucky ones to have a white ceiling. Definitely repaint your ceiling, if you go look at a CYV with a white ceiling, the difference is night and day. We had Investment Painters paint our walls a light blue, the home with plantation shutters and wood floors has a Key West style now. Since this photo we've changed all the appliances to stainless.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psyn3rjoi8.jpg

Nucky 07-19-2018 09:31 AM

If I’m painting one color. I loved to paint. Woodwork and Closet doors always white.

If I hire a painter the ceiling is white for sure.

CFrance might be interested in yout house if you move. Take Care.

graciegirl 07-19-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1563773)
My CYV ceiling is white, I thought they were all that way until I went into my neighbors home. As soon as I walked in I thought a smoker lived there, the walls and ceiling looked aged, or somewhat dirty. I found out that every other home in our villa community had white or light tan, and of course to save money they spray the ceiling the same. Little did I know we were one of the lucky ones to have a white ceiling. Definitely repaint your ceiling, if you go look at a CYV with a white ceiling, the difference is night and day. We had Investment Painters paint our walls a light blue, the home with plantation shutters and wood floors has a Key West style now. Since this photo we've changed all the appliances to stainless.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psyn3rjoi8.jpg

Always enjoyed your taste. Continue to share pictures of your digs.

champion6 07-19-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucernelson (Post 1563711)
Do most people paint their ceilings white (as opposed to the current off-white) when having the walls painted?

Most people? -- No. My personal opinion for me? -- Also no because I feel I will be the only person who will notice.

Tom C 07-19-2018 10:01 AM

I don’t know your situation but for me... The toughest part about painting is:

1) Color selection - After the tragic "Pepto Pink" incident of 2005, when I repainted my daughter's room (walls, ceiling, inside door, closet doors and trim), I have NO SAY in the colors we paint the house.

2) Moving furniture and masking – If I need to move or work over furniture and if I have to mask off areas (windows, doors, etc.), I want to paint everything in the area I can. I really dislike moving and masking…

I hope in some small way this helps you.

BRN_RI_FL 07-19-2018 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone. Just thinking ahead to October when we are back in The Villages and maybe having some painting done.
Got back to RI Sunday and all I have been doing since is weeding, cutting grass and planting flowers on my 2 acres, all stuff I use to enjoy in my younger days. At 64 it’s getting a bit much. Oh, the advantages of a courtyard villa!!!

2BNTV 07-19-2018 12:36 PM

Before painting, it might be worthwhile to have your A/C ducts checked or cleaned out. Just sayin........

DeanFL 07-19-2018 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We once considered this for our Great Room ceiling here, but may clash with our decor'. Also wanted an estimate from the painter but never returned our calls>

graciegirl 07-19-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1563852)
We once considered this for our Great Room ceiling here, but may clash with our decor'. Also wanted an estimate from the painter but never returned our calls>

I like it Dean! It has a certain je ne sais quoi.