Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Pack & Ship Rip-off (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/pack-ship-rip-off-313587/)

rnbpoutney 11-30-2020 02:22 PM

Pack & Ship Rip-off

Just got back from Pack & Ship store on Bichara Blvd.. mailing a 3 lb package to Winter Haven size was 14x4x4”. Clerk at Pack n Ship said best price was USPS for $15.95. And UPS was $17.44. Then said would do the UPS for the same price.... thought I was getting a deal...
went home and decided that was a lot of money for mailing to Winter Haven... looked up the price for USPS ....the price was $8.70 and the UPS was $10.73... Also UPS will pick up at your door....... I don’t mind anyone making a buck but that was a ripoff...... last time I ever use the Pack & Ship places in the Villages.....

patfla06 11-30-2020 02:37 PM

Understand that the UPS Store gets discounted prices from UPS.
All the other pack & ships have to charge more because they
pay higher prices.
That’s why I never understood using the pack & ships.

Mortal1 11-30-2020 02:58 PM

Okay...understanding pack and ships isn't needed...some folks find it more convenient and money isn't an object.

As to the original poster if they were serious they'd have printed the prices and gone back to the pack and ship and provided their proof of misrepresentation...they did not...therefore their story is suspicious.

mfp509 11-30-2020 03:01 PM

I stopped using them a long time ago. They are a ripoff.

EdFNJ 11-30-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnbpoutney (Post 1868149)
Just got back from Pack & Ship store on Bacharach Blvd.. mailing a 3 lb package to Winter Haven size was 14x4x4”. Clerk at Pack n Ship said best price was USPS for $15.95. And UPS was $17.44. Then said would to the UPS for the same price.... thought I was getting a deal...
went home and decided that was a lot of money for mailing to Winter Haven... looked up the price for USPS ....the price was $8.70 and the UPS was $10.73... Also UPS will pick up at your door....... I don’t mind anyone making a buck but that was a ripoff...... last time I ever use the Pack & Ship places in the Villages.....

UPS charges $9.90 IIRC (used to be $5) for a 1 time home pickup as long as you have a preprinted prepaid label although some businesses like Amazon will offer a free UPS pickup if the return was their error. USPS doesn't charge for a pickup. In both cases you have to sit home all day waiting or leave the package at your front door. which I wouldn't suggest. Pack N Ship and Safe SHip gets a discount from the carriers but also has to make a PROFIT to pay the employees, pay the rent, pay for the A/C, pay for insurance. They can't do that selling mailing envelopes for $2. Think of it as a convenience fee and not a rip-off because it really isn't a rip-off.

retiredguy123 11-30-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1868165)
Okay...understanding pack and ships isn't needed...some folks find it more convenient and money isn't an object.

As to the original poster if they were serious they'd have printed the prices and gone back to the pack and ship and provided their proof of misrepresentation...they did not...therefore their story is suspicious.

It sounds like the pack and ship store is making a profit. How is that a misrepresentation?

Jima64 11-30-2020 03:16 PM

You are paying for the convenience at Pack and Ship so how much is your time worth if you have to sit most of the day at home?

John_W 11-30-2020 03:16 PM

Here's a heads up for those living in the southern area and want to mail something big. There is an actual Fedex Location that takes packages exactly 3.1 miles from Morse Blvd and SR 44. No added charges, it's a real Fedex. It's just past the gun shop and across the road on the left. It's behind another building about 50 yards off the road. They have a counter for dropping items off and you don't need an account, just pay in person. It's behind SCP Distributors, see the map at the link.

Google Maps

JGVillages 11-30-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1868165)

Do yo do your food shopping at the gas stations (Shell/7-11 etc)? Those are convenience stores and charge a premium for the convenience just as the shipping stores are.

retiredguy123 11-30-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGVillages (Post 1868176)
Do yo do your food shopping at the gas stations (Shell/7-11 etc)? Those are convenience stores and charge a premium for the convenience just as the shipping stores are.

Thanks. I'll have to try Publix next time I need food and see if I can save some money.

Marathon Man 11-30-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1868175)
Here's a heads up for those living in the southern area and want to mail something big. There is an actual Fedex Location that takes packages exactly 3.1 miles from Morse Blvd and SR 44. No added charges, it's a real Fedex. It's just past the gun shop and across the road on the left. It's behind another building about 50 yards off the road. They have a counter for dropping items off and you don't need an account, just pay in person. It's behind SCP Distributors, see the map at the link.

Google Maps

Good to know. Thanks.

TommyT 11-30-2020 05:01 PM

Stopped using them looooong ago. Started using FedEx. Cheaper and better service..

charlieo1126@gmail.com 11-30-2020 08:06 PM

Your paying for convenience, I fought they overcharged . I usually always use them less crowded and they do all the sealing up and whatever else you need

rnbpoutney 11-30-2020 08:28 PM

Don’t see where it’s a convenient to use Pack & Ship.... I have used them for the last time. A mark up yes.... but not 40%

Denbal82 11-30-2020 09:05 PM

They have also told me that USPS would be the same price regarding my package. I also thought $17.00 was high to mail my package with them. I walked out then went across the street to a USPS official branch and saved $9.00.

I will never ship from Pack n Ship.