Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Yuletide Gratuities or Tipping (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/yuletide-gratuities-tipping-279384/)

Madelaine Amee 12-08-2018 04:15 PM

Yuletide Gratuities or Tipping

I know we have done this to death in other years, but I do have a legitimate question. If the person who does your yard work is the owner of a successful and quite large business do you tip him at this time of year?

Apart from that, who else do you take care of with a tip.

retiredguy123 12-08-2018 04:26 PM

Sounds like you don't want to tip him. You have my permission. I tip well during the year, and I don't feel the need for any additional tipping at Christmas.

CWGUY 12-08-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1605945)
I know we have done this to death in other years, but I do have a legitimate question. If the person who does your yard work is the owner of a successful and quite large business do you tip him at this time of year?

Apart from that, who else do you take care of with a tip.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...hlight=tipping

:popcorn:

retiredguy123 12-08-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1605953)
What difference does it make what other people do?

It makes a difference because, when most people tip, the business starts to depend on their employees receiving a tip, and they reduce employee pay accordingly. Just look at how tipping has affected the restaurant industry. Even the IRS has created tipping regulations.

CWGUY 12-08-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1605957)
It makes a difference because, when most people tip, the business starts to depend on their employees receiving a tip, and they reduce employee pay accordingly. Just look at how tipping has affected the restaurant industry. Even the IRS has created tipping regulations.

:clap2: Thank you! I won the bet! :a040:

Rapscallion St Croix 12-08-2018 04:54 PM

This month, I tip the two-man yard crew which includes the owner. I tip my barber extra in December. I buy a couple of dinners for the needy at the grocery store checkout and make my annual donation to St Jude's in December. That's it.

Madelaine Amee 12-08-2018 05:33 PM

I actually asked "Do you tip the OWNER of the business" and all the etiquette books say NO, only the employee.

Which leads me to think that not many people actually READ and DIGEST the question before rushing to answer, this makes for answers that appear more aggressive than maybe they are meant to be......... and on that note I am out of here, have a great evening.

dhsmith 12-08-2018 05:51 PM

We tip the sanitation workers, my barber gets extra $ and the newspaper guy gets a good one too 5 years living here we have never not gotten our paper no matter how many starts and stops we do.The yard guy gets the best tip he gets to sleep with the lady of the house.

Bob

redwitch 12-09-2018 04:49 AM

The owner, no. The employees, yes. Biggest mistake I’ve seen here is giving the tip to the owner to pass around to the guys. Too often, this goes directly into the owner’s pocket, never to be seen by the workers.

My tipping list is the newspaper carrier, my mail lady, the lawn guys. I do not tip the sanitation guys but do tip them throughout the year when they do extra for me. I don’t have a hairdresser, but would tip them if not the owner. Ditto my non-existent housecleaner, petwatcher, housewatcher. Servers get an extra $5.00 this time of year.

Grocery stores get extra for those in need. My charities get quarterly donations. Always have toys, pjs, etc. for the rec center bins. I get for the older kids since there always seem to be a lot for younger kids. When my grandsons are with me, I go out of my way to give a little wherever I can so they can see the importance of giving.

BoatRatKat 12-09-2018 09:00 AM

I give a nice tip to my yard guy who is owner as well as my dog's groomer who is also the owner. They both do the work themselves, do a great job and are very dependable and I think they deserve a thank you. I also tip my hairdresser extra during the holidays.

the square 12-09-2018 09:13 AM

As many yard workers go from Crew to another during the year, I feel it's safe to tip the owner and let him decide who gets what. The we cannot be his conscience. I must say this pertains to the small type of lawn crew. I wouldn't be sending any tip money to Massey or Deans for distribution.

billethkid 12-09-2018 12:03 PM

We tip our pool cleaner each year. New problem this year. She got promoted and we now have new person doing the cleaning. She has been at it for only 2 weeks.
I do not plan to tip her as she is an unproven entity.

We also do mail and lawn service folks.

Chi-Town 12-09-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1606176)
We tip our pool cleaner each year. New problem this year. She got promoted and we now have new person doing the cleaning. She has been at it for only 2 weeks.
I do not plan to tip her as she is an unproven entity.

We also do mail and lawn service folks.

I had the same situation. Gave the new person a tip to grease the wheels for future service. Wasn't as much, of course, but enough to show that we are partnered.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

manaboutown 12-09-2018 01:38 PM

I tip my yard guys, the owners and their help as one works by himself the the other has a helper or two as he is getting older. I tip my pool man, cleaning ladies, mail guys and car detailers, send a box of goodies to my accountant and a couple of commercial tenants and an amusing holiday card to my physician as he collects them and posts them on a bulletin board at his office.

DiRob 12-10-2018 08:38 AM

Tipping

Don't forget the people who hold classes that you don't have to pay for in The Villages at the rec centers. They are volunteering their time and services. They do not receive payment from anyone.