Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Massachusetts Law on Cigarettes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/massachusetts-law-cigarettes-348481/)

mtdjed 03-13-2024 10:46 AM

Massachusetts Law on Cigarettes

While I am not a smoker, couldn't help but notice an article in today's Village Daily Sun, regarding a Brookline City bylaw being approved to ban cigarette and tobacco sales to anyone born in the 21st century. Upheld by the States highest court.

What next, Alcohol, Birth Control, Ice Cream?

So, in 2050, a person 51 years old will be buying cigarettes for their 49-year-old neighbors at $50/pack.

While at it, why not ban people born before 1980, since they have already been exposed to enough smoke.

Not picking on smokers but rather the rule makers.

Shipping up to Boston 03-13-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 2310579)
While I am not a smoker, couldn't help but notice an article in today's Village Daily Sun, regarding a Brookline City bylaw being approved to ban cigarette and tobacco sales to anyone born in the 21st century. Upheld by the States highest court.

So, in 2050, a person 51 years old will be buying cigarettes for their 49-year-old neighbors at $50/pack.

While at it, why not ban people born before 1980, since they have already been exposed to enough smoke.

Brookline MA tries to emulate their counterparts across The Charles in Cambridge. Thus the nickname, the Peoples Republic of...

Toymeister 03-13-2024 11:11 AM

What happens in Brookline Mass, has no relevence to any of us.

Eg_cruz 03-13-2024 11:43 AM

Quote:

Should just outlaw it all together
Cigarettes kills 480,000 a year - legal to buy
Marijuana kills 0 a year - illegal
Makes since

Two Bills 03-13-2024 11:59 AM

In UK, 20 cigarettes is now £16. (That's approx. $20.50)

Shipping up to Boston 03-13-2024 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2310586)

Although I’m not the OP, everything that sets precedent in this country has relevance. Unless your travels are confined to TV proper, it’s important to watch out for this kind of nonsense. It’s like bike lanes where there was once parking spots and travel lanes. Every action has a reaction

Dusty_Star 03-13-2024 12:06 PM

Quote:

I wonder if that is age discrimination?

Rainger99 03-13-2024 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2310600)
Although I’m not the OP, everything that sets precedent in this country has relevance. Unless your travels are confined to TV proper, it’s important to watch out for this kind of nonsense. It’s like bike lanes where there was once parking spots and travel lanes. Every action has a reaction

Apparently, it started in New Zealand and the UK is considering a similar law!

In 2022, New Zealand passed a similar law intended to impose a lifetime ban on young people buying cigarettes by mandating that tobacco can’t ever be sold to anybody born on or after Jan. 1, 2009. The country’s new prime minister has said he plans to repeal the law.
U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak last year proposed raising the legal age that people in England can buy cigarettes by one year, every year until it is eventually illegal for the whole population.

C.S. Lewis called these people "omnipotent moral busybodies."

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

I think there are some people that would even ban ketchup!!

BrianL99 03-13-2024 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Oh, but it does.

Massachusetts has banned the sale of Menthol cigarettes. The FDA has announced plans to ban Menthol cigarettes all over the USA.

The currently controversy, is that plan is discriminatory, because African-Americans are more likely to be "addicted" to menthol cigarettes ... of course, that's because the big, bad tobacco companies, specifically marketed Menthol cigarettes to African-Americans.

I don't make this stuff up, I'm only reporting the news.

FDA says it will finalize ban on menthol tobacco products ‘in coming months’ | CNN

NoMoSno 03-13-2024 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eg_cruz (Post 2310593)
Should just outlaw it all together
Cigarettes kills 480,000 a year - legal to buy
Marijuana kills 0 a year - illegal
Makes since

I have a friend who never smoked a cigarette but was an avid pot smoker and got lung cancer.
Edibles only for him now.
Make sense?

tophcfa 03-13-2024 09:47 PM

Quote:

Not true. Our daughter, my older brother, and two of my nieces live there. And Brookline is the bedroom community for many of the best doctors in the entire world. It has great relevance to me.

mntlblok 03-14-2024 05:15 AM

Anecdote

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2310685)
Oh, but it does.

Massachusetts has banned the sale of Menthol cigarettes. The FDA has announced plans to ban Menthol cigarettes all over the USA.

The currently controversy, is that plan is discriminatory, because African-Americans are more likely to be "addicted" to menthol cigarettes ... of course, that's because the big, bad tobacco companies, specifically marketed Menthol cigarettes to African-Americans.

I don't make this stuff up, I'm only reporting the news.

FDA says it will finalize ban on menthol tobacco products ‘in coming months’ | CNN

Worked a few summers in an International Harvester foundry - a *very* dirty place. Coal mine level dirty. My black brethren not only tended to smoke Kools, but opened their packs from the "wrong" end. Told me it was for keeping the filter tips clean. Brilliant.

Warcats 03-14-2024 06:06 AM

Bans

Quote:

Yeah and let’s make it a legal requirement that all kids must have both a pistol and rifle and to strip them of independent cognitive thought. Oh already true you say ? Awful

PugMom 03-14-2024 06:08 AM

Quote:

i think it's bogus. on any purchase, (within reason) i should be able to make my own decisions. the US is becoming a powerful nanny-state

Michael 61 03-14-2024 06:09 AM

Quote:

Agree