Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   State Farm Insurance, D**m Them! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/state-farm-insurance-dm-them-349568/)

PompeyKing 04-25-2024 05:52 AM

State Farm Insurance, D**m Them!

After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

JohnN 04-25-2024 05:57 AM

I use Progressive with a 2012 roof. They raised my rates over the years, but still somewhat reasonable considering the way insurance works these days. I'm curious, what about your 2015 roof wasn't up to the 2020 code? 2015 is still a pretty new roof.

RMore49 04-25-2024 06:06 AM

Whose your agent?

I recently moved everything to SF. My house was built in 2016.

CoachKandSportsguy 04-25-2024 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PompeyKing (Post 2325130)
Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020.

https://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...52820Final.pdf

Here are the changes for which your home probably doesn't comply.

As far as you being caught offsides by housing insurance, its happening everywhere in the US in the high risk areas, as the inflationary cost and values of houses have not caught up with the insurance rates, and insurance companies need to limit their risk of loss using legal means as the state regulator only allows a proportion of the cost increases to be passed to the customers.

sounds like a change of insurance companies is needed quickly and then followed up with a new roof in the next year or so. .

everyone is in the same boat, just at different rates by different insurance companies.

wish us all luck

Altavia 04-25-2024 06:46 AM

I'd be tempted to upgrade the roof to mitigate the risk of having water damages and dealing with the aftermath.

The value of the home will increase also.

GpaVader 04-25-2024 07:06 AM

We have a newer home, started with Allstate, had them back home and suddenly all my rates jumped. Moved to SF and no surprises yet...The only other trick to watch is understanding when you switch if you are getting the low introductory rate and when that ends and what that means...

Byte1 04-25-2024 07:12 AM

Did Farmer's Insurance "leave" Florida? I am still covered by Farmer's this year, for my home.

JGibson 04-25-2024 07:38 AM

Progressive is dropping folks like a bad habit.

Topspinmo 04-25-2024 07:41 AM

Quote:

After Farmers Insurance left FL, I did a lot of research and decided to go with State Farm Insurance for home, auto & golf cart. I paid State Farm (SF) for the policy starting April 5th. Yesterday I received a phone call from my SF agent telling me that my homeowner insurance will be canceled effective 5/21/24 unless I can prove that my 2015 built home meets the Florida building code of 2020. To do that I would need to replace my 9 year old roof. I was told by one roofing company that SF was trying to limit their exposure since so many people had switched to SF. My agent said that to many people were getting new policies from SF. I’m just very disappointed with State Farm. I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Don’t you know insurance is legalized racketeering :duck:

Topspinmo 04-25-2024 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altavia (Post 2325149)
I'd be tempted to upgrade the roof to mitigate the risk of having water damages and dealing with the aftermath.

The value of the home will increase also.

I been tempted to change air in my tires, well cause it old:throwtomatoes:

Gatorfan1 04-25-2024 07:43 AM

Call me

Quote:

352-245-2423. Abshier InsuranceAgency. We can take care of your insurance. Sharon, agent

Topspinmo 04-25-2024 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy (Post 2325138)
https://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/...52820Final.pdf

Here are the changes for which your home probably doesn't comply.

As far as you being caught offsides by housing insurance, its happening everywhere in the US in the high risk areas, as the inflationary cost and values of houses have not caught up with the insurance rates, and insurance companies need to limit their risk of loss using legal means as the state regulator only allows a proportion of the cost increases to be passed to the customers.

sounds like a change of insurance companies is needed quickly and then followed up with a new roof in the next year or so. .

everyone is in the same boat, just at different rates by different insurance companies.

wish us all luck

No it’s insurance :what:

Gatorfan1 04-25-2024 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 2325163)
Did Farmer's Insurance "leave" Florida? I am still covered by Farmer's this year, for my home.

Yes

Spartan86 04-25-2024 07:47 AM

Sorry for that. I commented elsewhere that I called SF for a quote and they would not write new insurance on my 2019 home. They indicated had I been insured with them for car coverage as of 1/1/2024 they potentially would have..

PompeyKing 04-25-2024 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 2325132)
I use Progressive with a 2012 roof. They raised my rates over the years, but still somewhat reasonable considering the way insurance works these days. I'm curious, what about your 2015 roof wasn't up to the 2020 code? 2015 is still a pretty new roof.

This is what I was emailed from my State Farm agent: Peel and stick applied directly to the entire roof deck or applied to all joints and seams of the roof deck. To comply with 2020 Florida building code

Two roofing companies said that they would have to remove the shingles in order to comply, thus a new roof!!