Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Anybody remember enjoying paper dolls? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/anybody-remember-enjoying-paper-dolls-143502/)

graciegirl 02-15-2015 07:48 AM

Anybody remember enjoying paper dolls?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...f4a58704ba.jpg

graciegirl 02-15-2015 07:50 AM

AND...Army jeeps?

http://p2.la-img.com/991/28516/10946855_1_l.jpg

Madelaine Amee 02-15-2015 07:58 AM

Oh my goodness yes, paper dolls - luv, luv, luv them, even to this day. I used to buy them for my granddaughters whether they wanted them or not, then play with them myself when I went to visit! I used to get very bent out of shape when their little fingers tore off the tabs that kept the clothing on the dolls - mean Nana!

In our house it was Tonka Toys - the big earth moving heavy equipment Tonka's. We had a dirt patch and a sand box filled to the brim with Tonka earth moving equipment - kept them amused for hours!

Also match box cars. Sets of them. When we moved we must have thrown out dozens of match box cars - and please do not tell me what they are worth now on Ebay!

bkcunningham1 02-15-2015 08:08 AM

I loved paper dolls. Remember the Betsy McCall paper dolls? My imagination soared with paper dolls.

Buckeyephan 02-15-2015 08:16 AM

Paper dolls were one of my favorite things. Are those Dorothy Lamour and Esther Williams? My poor mother had to cut them out since I was never happy with my cutting. Of course, I also wanted all of the little extras that were on the page along with clothes. Poor mom! I remember the Tillie paper dolls that were in the Sunday comic sections. My aunt would save her McCalls magazine for me.

I also adored my Madame Alexander dolls. Mom sewed extensive wardrobes for them. It's payback time since I'm now sewing for my granddaughters' American Girl dolls.

I liked Tinker Toys and roller skates, too.

Madelaine Amee 02-15-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1012759)
Paper dolls were one of my favorite things. Are those Dorothy Lamour and Esther Williams? My poor mother had to cut them out since I was never happy with my cutting. Of course, I also wanted all of the little extras that were on the page along with clothes. Poor mom! I remember the Tillie paper dolls that were in the Sunday comic sections. My aunt would save her McCalls magazine for me.

I also adored my Madame Alexander dolls. Mom sewed extensive wardrobes for them. It's payback time since I'm now sewing for my granddaughters' American Girl dolls.

I liked Tinker Toys and roller skates, too.

YES - roller skating. Used to roller skate up and down the road and never had to worry about anyone running us over or yelling at us to get out of the street!

Laurie2 02-15-2015 09:24 AM

Am I remembering correctly? Did a book of paper dolls cost a quarter? -- all those hours of fun for a quarter. I always bought the movie stars because of their glamorous clothes.

And remember how there were always two paper dolls of the same movie star, but one looked more like her and had more glamorous clothes to wear.

When I played paper dolls with my younger sister, I always made her take the one that did not really look much like the movie star, and then, if a friend came to play, I would not let my sister play at all. -- Aw, c'mon, do not judge me. -- All you big sisters know what I am talkng about.

graciegirl 02-15-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie2 (Post 1012799)
Am I remembering correctly? Did a book of paper dolls cost a quarter? -- all those hours of fun for a quarter. I always bought the movie stars because of their glamorous clothes.

And remember how there were always two paper dolls of the same movie star, but one looked more like her and had more glamorous clothes to wear.

When I played paper dolls with my younger sister, I always made her take the one that did not really look much like the movie star, and then, if a friend came to play, I would not let my sister play at all. -- Aw, c'mon, do not judge me. -- All you big sisters know what I am talkng about.

My older cousin did that to me, and played beauty shop on my hair. She PULLED.

But I love her now.

DougB 02-15-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1012744)

Remember enjoying paper dolls? Nope, can't say that I do.

Bonny 02-15-2015 11:09 AM

And let's not forget colorforms !!! Those were fun because they didn't rip like the paper doll outfits.

tomwed 02-15-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny (Post 1012893)
And let's not forget colorforms !!! Those were fun because they didn't rip like the paper doll outfits.

"iT'S MORE FUN TO PLAY. THE COLORFORMS WAY"
I don't know why I remember jingles but can't find my way home if I make a left off MicroRaceTrack.

tomwed 02-15-2015 11:35 AM

I always played with erector sets and lincoln logs. I don't recall swallowing a single one.
I had a Daisey BB gun too when I was way too young and still have both eyes. The same with knives. For my First Holy Communion my dad gave me a Jim Bouey Knife. My mother hid that and I never could find it.

[Now that I think about it, I wonder if my Dad was trying to get rid of me?]

sorry i went off track,,,
My sister played with paper dolls---i didn't get it,,,I'm so Catholic, I wouldn't look.

Bonny 02-15-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1012920)
I always played with erector sets and lincoln logs. I don't recall swallowing a single one.
I had a Daisey BB gun too when I was way too young and still have both eyes. The same with knives. For my First Holy Communion my dad gave me a Jim Bouey Knife. My mother hid that and I never could find it.

My sister played with paper dolls---i didn't get it,,,I'm so Catholic, I wouldn't look.

:1rotfl:

graciegirl 02-15-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1012920)

Sometimes, Tomwed, I just like you a lot, but sometimes I just plain love you. In a virtuous Catholic way. lol.

redwitch 02-15-2015 12:49 PM

I was a seriously greedy child. I used to design clothes for my friends' paper dolls. Fifty cents for a new wardrobe. I made a fortune from Carol who always wanted new clothes for her Lennon Sister dolls. Personally, I would die before being caught actually playing with them. I was into Tonka trucks and soldiers of all eras (they all died bravely and tragically).