Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   ATTORNEY/ LAWYER DIRECTORY (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/attorney-lawyer-directory-524/)
-   -   Tenant eviction help (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/attorney-lawyer-directory-524/tenant-eviction-help-321863/)

DoggyStargazer 07-19-2021 08:49 PM

Tenant eviction help

Hi, looking for advice or a good contact to deal with a tenant that is refusing to vacate my property. He stated that he wanted to break the lease early and would leave by the end of last month. However, multiple excuses later (and no rent paid) he’s still on my property and I’m concerned he may not leave. Thanks!

Garywt 07-19-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoggyStargazer (Post 1975505)
Hi, looking for advice or a good contact to deal with a tenant that is refusing to vacate my property. He stated that he wanted to break the lease early and would leave by the end of last month. However, multiple excuses later (and no rent paid) he’s still on my property and I’m concerned he may not leave. Thanks!

I hope you find someone and you can get him out. Sounds like a nightmare. Just another reminder for me as to why I don’t rent my house out. Good luck.

mikreb 07-19-2021 11:51 PM

How to evict a tenant How To Evict a Tenant in Florida: A Simple Guide for Landlords

DoggyStargazer 07-20-2021 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 1975509)
I hope you find someone and you can get him out. Sounds like a nightmare. Just another reminder for me as to why I don’t rent my house out. Good luck.

Thank you! I hope so too.

DoggyStargazer 07-20-2021 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikreb (Post 1975514)

Great, Thank you!

Papa_lecki 07-20-2021 05:35 AM

Good luck, there’s been an eviction moratorium since COVID (Spring 2020). So no “notice to vacate” have been filed for about 15 months. It’s supposed to expire this month, so the courts will be flooded with evictions. Your best course of action is a letter and a lot of pressure.

DoggyStargazer 07-20-2021 08:24 AM

Thanks! That’s been our strategy so far but not too successful. Just getting a lot of empty promises.

retiredguy123 07-20-2021 08:40 AM

One possible tactic is to offer a cash payment to the tenant. That is often how banks handle people who won't leave after a foreclosure, and also to ensure that they don't damage the property.

GrumpyOldMan 07-20-2021 08:59 AM

Evicting is not easy, I wish you luck and gods speed getting them out.

DaddyD 07-20-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1975634)
One possible tactic is to offer a cash payment to the tenant. That is often how banks handle people who won't leave after a foreclosure, and also to ensure that they don't damage the property.

I'd suggest first contacting a lawyer who specializes in landlord / tenant issues to get their advice, but the above is likely the best (cheapest & quickest) strategy to start with, it's referred to as "Cash for Keys".

How much is monthly rent? Let's assume it's $2,000/month--offer the tenant $4,000 (in cash, not a check) if they vacate the premises within 2 weeks and leave it in good condition. I know this sounds crazy and you're rewarding this person for bad / unethical behavior, but what are your other options and likely outcomes?

You can try to evict, but even with a lawyer's help, this will likely take months, so you've lost $2,000 in rent each additional month. Plus you'll have to pay lawyer's fees on top of that. Let's assume it's $2,000 to get a lawyer to handle the case for you--if it takes three months to get the tenant evicted, going the normal lawyer route ends up cost you $6,000. Versus $4,000 to have him/her out in two weeks.

Which outcome do you prefer?

dewilson58 07-20-2021 09:18 AM

Eviction vs. Trespassing.

I'm Popeye! 07-20-2021 09:38 AM

"Well, blow me down" :mad:
Have your Husband eat some Spinach, then have him grab this squatter by the neck and throw his A** overboard.

Toymeister 07-20-2021 09:42 AM

You certainly don't need a lawyer. When you consider the cost of filing and serving (about 300.00 in Sumter county) to start eviction you are better off offering 500.00 to leave within a week.

DoggyStargazer 07-20-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1975670)
You certainly don't need a lawyer. When you consider the cost of filing and serving (about 300.00 in Sumter county) to start eviction you are better off offering 500.00 to leave within a week.

Great suggestions, cash talks for sure. I think I may try but he is the type of person to take the cash and still not be out. I’ve offered in-kind offers like get out now and I’ll subtract moving costs from whatever you still owe, but I think he has no intention of paying anything this month so why take a reduction of nothing. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, appreciate it!

DAVES 07-20-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! (Post 1975666)
"Well, blow me down" :mad:
Have your Husband eat some Spinach, then have him grab this squatter by the neck and throw his A** overboard.

Funny but, reality the husband would end up in jail. Sadly the property owner will likely not get the rent, a loss, the property will not be left as it was and they will pay an attorney to get rid of this ????????????