Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Weather Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/)
-   -   Global Warming. Really? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/global-warming-really-345385/)

Randall55 11-12-2023 06:12 AM

Global Warming. Really?

It's early in the season, but Anchorage Alaska has already seen record breaking amounts of snowfall. Some areas, surrounding the city, accumulated two feet within two days. A snow emergency has been declared. Is El Niño the cause? Do you think the scientists who support the theory of global warming are staring at their monitors in disbelief? Strange thing, I did not see this reported on the news as often as this summer's record breaking heat. Any thoughts on why?

retiredguy123 11-12-2023 06:27 AM

I consider myself an analytical and open minded person, but I have never seen a convincing argument either for or against global warming, climate change, or whatever you want to call it. The amount of snow in Alaska in one year doesn't even come close to convincing me of anything. And, a lot of people seem to have a personal agenda that makes it even harder to convince me of anything related to climate change.

Byte1 11-12-2023 06:27 AM

That's why it has been convenient to rename the agenda as "Climate Change" so that they can be "technically" correct, no matter what the weather outcome. Some are predicting one of our coldest winters this year. Personally, I would be fine with some warming, whether global or otherwise. I moved here for the warm/hot temps.

Two Bills 11-12-2023 06:28 AM

Summer heat is Global Warming.
Winter snow is Climate Change.
I personally think winter weather has something to do with it! :shrug:

retiredguy123 11-12-2023 06:41 AM

One obvious question is "what does the snowfall amount have to do with global warming?" In the winter in Anchorage, it is almost always cold enough to snow. Snowfall is related to precipitation, not temperature.

Randall55 11-12-2023 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2273799)
One obvious question is "what does the snowfall amount have to do with global warming?" In the winter in Anchorage, it is almost always cold enough to snow. Snowfall is related to precipitation, not temperature.

I understand.I am concerned about El Niño. I have relatives in San Clemente and Pittsburgh. They told me it has been a little colder than normal. In the Villages, we had some chilly nights, as well. I am wondering if we are going to have a crazy winter. I have lived in Florida all my life and have experienced a few years of wicked cold. I am not looking forward to it happening, again. It seems El Niño was always the cause.

Bill14564 11-12-2023 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2273799)

Just a guess that may not be correct.... Warming seas and air means more evaporation and more moisture in the air. More moisture means more precipitation. And of course, more precipitation in Alaska often means more snowfall.

Two Bills 11-12-2023 08:19 AM

El Nino has certainly been a factor influencing weather here in UK this summer.
Cool, lots of rain, and strong winds.
Cold and wet again today, and if it carries on like this through winter reckon we may have quite a lot of snow as well.

Kelevision 11-12-2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall55 (Post 2273787)
It's early in the season, but Anchorage Alaska has already seen record breaking amounts of snowfall. Some areas, surrounding the city, accumulated two feet within two days. A snow emergency has been declared. Is El Niño the cause? Do you think the scientists who support the theory of global warming are staring at their monitors in disbelief? Strange thing, I did not see this reported on the news as often as this summer's record breaking heat. Any thoughts on why?

When you call in Climate Change and not Global Warming, it makes perfect sense.

fdpaq0580 11-12-2023 08:57 AM

Believe what you want. Fact is no one here is going to do anything about it one way or the other, other than lip service, that is. Just keep your El Nino (or El Nina) off my lawn.

Topspinmo 11-12-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelevision (Post 2273860)
When you call in Climate Change and not Global Warming, it makes perfect sense.

Yes, you can’t argue climate change, cause climate will always change. Depending on what area you in it can be good or bad thing.

Two Bills 11-12-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 (Post 2273862)
Believe what you want. Fact is no one here is going to do anything about it one way or the other, other than lip service, that is. Just keep your El Nino (or El Nina) off my lawn.

......and Excremento de perro

Topspinmo 11-12-2023 09:27 AM

Depends on which graph you pull up and how set up scale.

https://www.climate.gov/sites/defaul...wing-620px.png

As you can see the rise on bigger scale now were near top of highest earth average temperatures.

Now when you create scale in tenths of degree the outcome looks totally different.

https://www.climate.gov/sites/defaul...118-1400px.png

PugMom 11-12-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall55 (Post 2273818)
I understand.I am concerned about El Niño. I have relatives in San Clemente and Pittsburgh. They told me it has been a little colder than normal. In the Villages, we had some chilly nights, as well. I am wondering if we are going to have a crazy winter. I have lived in Florida all my life and have experienced a few years of wicked cold. I am not looking forward to it happening, again. It seems El Niño was always the cause.

i wouldn't loose any sleep over it. the Earth has been here for how long? nothing dramatic to have temp changes, it's just weather

retiredguy123 11-12-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 2273880)
i wouldn't loose any sleep over it. the Earth has been here for how long? nothing dramatic to have temp changes, it's just weather

About 5 billion years