Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Florida is the worst state in the country when it comes to tax fairness! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/florida-worst-state-country-when-comes-tax-fairness-347879/)

Rainger99 02-20-2024 09:22 AM

Florida is the worst state in the country when it comes to tax fairness!

The study also finds that DC, New York, New Jersey, and California have much fairer tax systems.

Who Pays? 7th Edition – ITEP

retiredguy123 02-20-2024 09:30 AM

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fair"? Everyone doesn't agree that high income people should pay a higher tax rate than low income people.

ThirdOfFive 02-20-2024 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2303140)
The study also finds that DC, New York, New Jersey, and California have much fairer tax systems.

Heh. "Fair" is in the eye of the beholder. Like art. If you like it, it's good.

Moving here from Minnesota about four years ago...

1. My income tax bill has shrunk by about 1/3. Minnesota (where I hail from) is 4th highest in State income tax paid. Florida has no state income tax.

2. I pay quite a bit less in property tax in Florida...on a house that is valued at nearly twice my former home.

3. I don't have to pay for a fishing license in Florida.

4. Law enforcement (funded by tax money) is far better and more reliable here than back where I came from.

5. I pay nearly a full percent less in sales tax in Florida than I did before I moved here.

6. Minnesota ranks 5th in the nation in state estate taxes collected. Florida HAS no state estate tax. Important. Especially now.

7. The license fee on our primary vehicle is nearly 70% LESS per year than it was in Minnesota.

These seven items are what just came to mind. There are probably more financial advantages to living here than the ones listed.

Fair?

Oh yeah!!

manaboutown 02-20-2024 09:55 AM

Quote:

I don't know about fairer but they do have much higher taxes which is why folks who can are fleeing them for states such as Florida and Texas. They also tend to have very high crime rates and terrible public schools within their large cities. DC stands for Dangerous City nowadays.

Stu from NYC 02-20-2024 10:38 AM

Quote:

So we should pay more in taxes to make tax rates fair? Florida has much lower tax rates than anyplace else we have lived and has no problem balancing its budget and supplying essential services.

Normal 02-20-2024 10:38 AM

Taxes in Florida

Move to Florida, taxes on a new home with bond average 10,000 a year plus, and that’s without amenities, insurances or your annual income taxes!

Dusty_Star 02-20-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

I disagree with ITEP. My previous state is somewhere near the middle of the list, but the taxes go to corruption in the state capital, & meanwhile bridges fall down & other maintenance is sorely neglected.

kkingston57 02-20-2024 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2303163)
Heh. "Fair" is in the eye of the beholder. Like art. If you like it, it's good.

Moving here from Minnesota about four years ago...

1. My income tax bill has shrunk by about 1/3. Minnesota (where I hail from) is 4th highest in State income tax paid. Florida has no state income tax.

2. I pay quite a bit less in property tax in Florida...on a house that is valued at nearly twice my former home.

3. I don't have to pay for a fishing license in Florida.

4. Law enforcement (funded by tax money) is far better and more reliable here than back where I came from.

5. I pay nearly a full percent less in sales tax in Florida than I did before I moved here.

6. Minnesota ranks 5th in the nation in state estate taxes collected. Florida HAS no state estate tax. Important. Especially now.

7. The license fee on our primary vehicle is nearly 70% LESS per year than it was in Minnesota.

These seven items are what just came to mind. There are probably more financial advantages to living here than the ones listed.

Fair?

Oh yeah!!

Can not disagree except for law enforcement. In TV crime is very low mostly due to the fact that people living in TV are a lot less likely to be involved in major crimes due to age and socio economic conditions. Big complaint here mostly involves speeding golf carts, DUI(mostly golf carts)

Blueblaze 02-20-2024 12:06 PM

Quote:

That must be why everybody is leaving Florida to live in DC, New York, New Jersey, and California! All that "fairness"! Probably the same reason 9 million people illegally invaded Mexico in the last three years on their way to all that "fairness" in Venezuela, Iran, Somalia, and China!

Oh look -- the Opposite World News also says the sun is going to start rising in the West! About time! Only fair!

PugMom 02-20-2024 12:15 PM

you haven't been to Ct., have you??

Kenswing 02-20-2024 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueblaze (Post 2303244)
That must be why everybody is leaving Florida to live in DC, New York, New Jersey, and California! All that "fairness"! Probably the same reason 9 million people illegally invaded Mexico in the last three years on their way to all that "fairness" in Venezuela, Iran, Somalia, and China!

Oh look -- the Opposite World News also says the sun is going to start rising in the West! About time! Only fair!

Exactly. Just more clickbait from the OP.

Pugchief 02-20-2024 05:16 PM

Quote:

If you believe that to actually be the case, I suggest you try living in one of these places to experience the reality instead of some propaganda site's fantasy.

The #1 reason people are fleeing those jurisdictions for TX and FL is taxes.

JohnN 02-20-2024 06:34 PM

I've lived "there", I'll stay "here", fairness is in the eye of the beholder

n8xwb 02-20-2024 06:35 PM

The article makes no sense to me! For example they state, "These states tax their poorest residents — those in the bottom 20 percent of the income scale — at rates averaging three times higher than those charged to the wealthy."
Last I checked the only taxes we have in Florida are sales tax & property tax. Both of those rates have nothing to do with being rich or poor. If you buy more, you pay more. If you own a larger home you pay more. What's wrong with that? Works for me!

Rainger99 02-20-2024 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugchief (Post 2303341)
If you believe that to actually be the case, I suggest you try living in one of these places to experience the reality instead of some propaganda site's fantasy.

I didn’t say I believed it. I posted it because it pertains to the state where all of us live.

And I thought it might get comments from people who live in the more progressive states to see what they think of the study.

So far most of them appear to disagree with the study.