Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pro Golf (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/)
-   -   Dell Technologies Match Play Tournament (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/dell-technologies-match-play-tournament-340164/)

retiredguy123 03-26-2023 04:16 PM

Dell Technologies Match Play Tournament

You can watch the only match play PGA tournament today. It is still being played.

BORING!

But, the good news is that, next year, there doesn't appear to be any match play events scheduled.

dewilson58 03-26-2023 04:23 PM

Very slow moving...................I watch 20 minutes total this week.

rustyp 03-26-2023 05:19 PM

Well the Sunday drama backfired - so boring I switched the station to NASCAR. Red car, green car, blue car - go Bobby Joe.

Mleeja 03-26-2023 07:09 PM

It was a bit boring. When you have only four players on for about 8 hours they get a little stale. Glad the NCAA games were exciting!

golfing eagles 03-27-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 2201661)
It was a bit boring. When you have only four players on for about 8 hours they get a little stale. Glad the NCAA games were exciting!

I DVR'ed both the semis and the finals and watched them both in about 3 1/2 hours---the rest is all commercials and fluff.

Rainger99 03-27-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2201871)
I DVR'ed both the semis and the finals and watched them both in about 3 1/2 hours---the rest is all commercials and fluff.

I read once that, in an entire round, pros actually spend less than 15 seconds hitting the ball - this is from address to completing the swing. The rest of the time is spent walking to the next ball, checking the wind, the yardage book, reading the greens, lining up the putt, etc. 72 shots times 15 seconds per shot is 18 minutes. It is like watching football games the next day - you can show every game in well under an hour if you just show the plays - not all the time running back to the huddle and the huddle.

Tvflguy 03-27-2023 03:41 PM

I checked into it now and then the last few days. I also found it a bit of a bore, esp much of Sunday. Only watched about 20 min…DVRd.

Hopefully the Masters will be great. But honestly I do miss many of the guys who jumped ship to LIV.

UpNorth 03-27-2023 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvflguy (Post 2201933)
I checked into it now and then the last few days. I also found it a bit of a bore, esp much of Sunday. Only watched about 20 min…DVRd.

Hopefully the Masters will be great. But honestly I do miss many of the guys who jumped ship to LIV.

I put it on my DVR and hit the FF button. Saves 15 seconds of watching nothing per push.

alwann 03-27-2023 07:12 PM

Boring

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2201634)
You can watch the only match play PGA tournament today. It is still being played.

BORING!

But, the good news is that, next year, there doesn't appear to be any match play events scheduled.

If you are a serious golfer, don't you have empathy when the pros get bad bounces or make a bad swing? I don't have their talent but still hope to learn by watching them play. Agree though that the match was not good tv. More talking than action. The live mics added some fare, but the players don't like it.

Rainger99 03-27-2023 08:12 PM

An explanation as to why they are ending match play.

Goodbye, WGC-Match Play, you won't be missed by all | Golf Channel.