Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Arby's Sales Tax Wrong (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/arbys-sales-tax-wrong-232168/)

blueash 02-27-2017 07:40 PM

Arby's Sales Tax Wrong

1 Attachment(s)
We don't frequently eat at Arby's on 466 but did so today. Our bill before tax was exactly $7.00. As our local tax is 7% the bill should have been $7.49 but instead it was $7.51 or a two cent error in Arby's favor. So I'm asking, if you have recently eaten there and happen to have your receipt, or will be there in the next day or two, was your tax correctly calculated? I contacted the national 800 number with my concern. You get a call center but the nice person promised to pass this on and perhaps get back to me.

Carl in Tampa 02-27-2017 11:51 PM

State Regulators

If Arby's is less than responsive, the next report might appropriately go to the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

DBPR: Home Page

RickeyD 02-27-2017 11:58 PM

Since you won't get the food unless you penny up you have two choices.

tcxr750 02-28-2017 10:17 AM

I agree with Carl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1366378)
If Arby's is less than responsive, the next report might appropriately go to the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

DBPR: Home Page

This tax issue should be directed to the state. Calling Arby's 800 number will probably get zero response. Those call centers only have flip chart responses for response about the food or service at an Arby's restaurant.

Bogie Shooter 02-28-2017 10:21 AM

Here I go again................
Why didn't you talk with the manager? This could be a local problem with their registers.
If no response then you can call in the state regulators, etc.

retiredguy123 02-28-2017 11:59 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think the State has anything to do with it. All they care about is that the restaurant pays them the 7 percent tax. Arby's doesn't even need to add the tax to your bill as long as they pay 7 percent of their sales to the State.

tcxr750 02-28-2017 01:06 PM

Or could the sales tax rate be %7.25 ? I can't read the slip clearly but the tax on $7.00 at 7.25% would be $.5075 or $.51.
If the tax is being over charged it would seem to be an issue for a state agency. After talking with store management of course.

Arctic Fox 02-28-2017 02:30 PM

I ate at Sakura recently and the "10% off" voucher I had said that the discount didn't include sales tax.

Seems odd that they would effectively collect sales tax on the menu price rather than on what they actually charged me.

Rapscallion St Croix 02-28-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1366630)
I ate at Sakura recently and the "10% off" voucher I had said that the discount didn't include sales tax.

Seems odd that they would effectively collect sales tax on the menu price rather than on what they actually charged me.

That is what the Florida State Tax Code requires them to do.

SFSkol 02-28-2017 04:23 PM

The Florida (FL) state sales tax rate is currently 6%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 8%
In the Villages there are three different sales tax rates that I know of. Arby's was likely correct.

golf2140 02-28-2017 05:15 PM

I just check an old receipt from Arby's and it looks like they overcharged me .04 cents on their tax charge.

Deaner 02-28-2017 06:05 PM

Arby's sales tax

It looks like they charged you tax on each individual item. From the Florida Sales Tax schedule, http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_libr...rrent/dr2x.pdf

The taxes are:
.04 on each of the two senior drinks = .08
.07 on the curly fry = 0.7
.12 on each of the three classic RB = 0.36
Total = $0.51 tax

golfing eagles 02-28-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1366314)
We don't frequently eat at Arby's on 466 but did so today. Our bill before tax was exactly $7.00. As our local tax is 7% the bill should have been $7.49 but instead it was $7.51 or a two cent error in Arby's favor. So I'm asking, if you have recently eaten there and happen to have your receipt, or will be there in the next day or two, was your tax correctly calculated? I contacted the national 800 number with my concern. You get a call center but the nice person promised to pass this on and perhaps get back to me.

The people of the state of Florida thank you for putting your 2 cents in:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

blueash 02-28-2017 07:23 PM

Thank you for replies so far. The sales tax in Sumter County is 7% not 7.25 % so that theory is unsupported by the tax rate. And no, each item is not separately taxed, rather the entire transaction is taxed based on the total price of taxable items. I have notified the state as well. I continue to encourage others to report their tax charges as they find them.

I did not speak to the manager as we did not discuss the charge until we were on our ride home. It seems most unlikely that the person responsible for programming the registers is working at 7 PM, no one was working there who appeared to be over 30 years old.

JoelJohnson 02-28-2017 08:00 PM

My first job was working for NCR (National Cash Register co). I programed, installed and trained on the new electronic registers (now know as Point of Sale - POS). I also had to program in the tax tables (by hand). The tables were (and I assume they still are) based on a range. For example .01-.07 would be 1 cent , .08-.15 would be 2 cents etc.(this example is not to scale, but to show how tax tables work).
Without seeing the exact tax table, I couldn't tell you if the tax was right or not.