Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Calling All Meat-Eating Cooks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/calling-all-meat-eating-cooks-317687/)

CFrance 03-20-2021 06:34 PM

Calling All Meat-Eating Cooks

My husband has some frozen London broil. He has grilled some of it, but it was too tough even when sliced thinly, so he froze the rest of it.

What can I make with it for him? He thought we could grind it up and he could make hamburgers, but I think they would not be good because not enough fat.

I'm thinking it needs to be braised, but not sure London broil lends itself to that.

Any suggestions? (Where is Tomwed when you need him?!)

Stu from NYC 03-20-2021 06:46 PM

Make a brisket in a slow cooker, before cooking marinate in wine to help break down the tissues.

CFrance 03-20-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1918721)
Make a brisket in a slow cooker, before cooking marinate in wine to help break down the tissues.

Thanks. He cut them into squares, unfortunately. I could probably marinate them all and put in slow cooker?

Stu from NYC 03-20-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1918728)
Thanks. He cut them into squares, unfortunately. I could probably marinate them all and put in slow cooker?

That is what I would do and have done.

Topspinmo 03-20-2021 09:34 PM

Goggle recipe for slow cooker pork chops.

Slow Cooker Pork Chops - The Salty Marshmallow

One of our favorite recipes. Works with any meat. Gravy Mmmmmmm.

collie1228 03-21-2021 07:56 AM

We cook most meats with a sous vide system. It will tenderize it and keep the temperature perfect every time. But it is an investment.

Ecuadog 03-21-2021 09:30 AM

A recently published Serious Eats recipe caught my eye. I haven't tried it yet. Pasta alla Genovese is made with a ragu that is mostly just beef and onions.

Pasta alla Genovese click here

ckcapaul 03-21-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1918929)
We cook most meats with a sous vide system. It will tenderize it and keep the temperature perfect every time. But it is an investment.

This works, I use a sous vide stick in a cooler

ckbenjamin 03-22-2021 04:52 AM

If he's already cubed it I'd use it in a stew cooked in a crock pot (slow cooker). The wine marinade suggestion above was also good and the wine will add a wonderful richness. My husband has been in a bland diet for acid reflux for the last month. Ever tried cooking without garlic (any kind), onion and tomato products? Oh, I forgot no pepper, peppers or citrus of any kind. He's also a heart patient on Coumadin so most green vegetables are out, too. Needless to say we're both losing weight. Good luck.

J1ceasar 03-22-2021 05:21 AM

Or you can get a smoker and cook for 6 hours at 125°. Or an electric roasting pot and pour beer into the pan. I put onions and small potatoes there is well. Make it like a pot roast. You mentioned hamburger and you could certainly do that if you mix it with 20% fat meat the trick is to add minced onions for moisture

sdeikenberry 03-22-2021 05:24 AM

Make a pot roast with it in the crock pot. Cook it til it's fall apart tender. I've used London Broil for pot roasts...works fine.

Tmarkwald 03-22-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckcapaul (Post 1919257)
This works, I use a sous vide stick in a cooler

I use the Instant Pot one in my Instant Pot

Tmarkwald 03-22-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1918717)
My husband has some frozen London broil. He has grilled some of it, but it was too tough even when sliced thinly, so he froze the rest of it.

What can I make with it for him? He thought we could grind it up and he could make hamburgers, but I think they would not be good because not enough fat.

I'm thinking it needs to be braised, but not sure London broil lends itself to that.

Any suggestions? (Where is Tomwed when you need him?!)

I have ground up extremely lean beef in the past. Mix it with ground turkey and use it in spaghetti/tacos, etc. London Broil needs to be sliced wafer thin. It is very good on the grill at extreme heat, leaving the center almost rare, then slicing super-thin

Kerry Azz 03-22-2021 06:05 AM

Sous vide perfect every time

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1918929)

I agree it is an investment, If you like your food perfect every time. The cost for a 1000 watt system is around $125-150. Chances are the steak you bought at a steak house today was pre cooked n a sous vide hours before you arrived and finished off when you ordered it. :welcome:

Two Bills 03-22-2021 06:08 AM

Mince leftovers, and make a Shepherds Pie.