Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Xfinity Modem/Router Issue (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/xfinity-modem-router-issue-325600/)

olliedog1950 10-25-2021 07:53 AM

Xfinity Modem/Router Issue

I have my Xfinity Modem/Router sitting outside my TV cabinet in my family room. I have no problem with wifi reception to the family room TV and our Chromebooks anywhere in our home or outside in the lanai. However; my lanai TV is only 4 feet from the modem/router and I constantly lose the wifi connection when watching wifi youtube TV. It happens when watching live sports, 15 times during the Packer game. The signal needs to travel only 4 feet through an insulated wall, I tried a wifi booster/extender and that did not help. Is the Xfinity combination modem/router that poor?

roob1 10-25-2021 07:58 AM

Have you tried testing another TV in the lanai? Just asking....

Quote:

Originally Posted by olliedog1950 (Post 2021222)
I have my Xfinity Modem/Router sitting outside my TV cabinet in my family room. I have no problem with wifi reception to the family room TV and our Chromebooks anywhere in our home or outside in the lanai. However; my lanai TV is only 4 feet from the modem/router and I constantly lose the wifi connection when watching wifi youtube TV. It happens when watching live sports, 15 times during the Packer game. The signal needs to travel only 4 feet through an insulated wall, I tried a wifi booster/extender and that did not help. Is the Xfinity combination modem/router that poor?

retiredguy123 10-25-2021 08:10 AM

If you can get a good wifi connection (3 or 4 bars) on a chromebook or a smartphone when it is placed next to the television, then it sounds like the problem may be with your TV, not the router. Is it a smart TV or are you using a streaming stick, like a Roku? If the wifi signal is poor in that location, one option would be to buy a Roku stick, and run a long HDMI cable from the TV to another location in the lanai, and attach the Roku stick to it.

villagetinker 10-25-2021 09:26 AM

OP, is your house stucco, if so, there is typically a metal mesh screen that is attached to the block wall to provide a surface for the stucco to attach to. If this is the case I would suggest drilling a hole through the wall in adding an ethernet connection for this TV. You will need around a 12 inch concrete bit to get all the way through. Also the blocks at the bottom tend to have concrete fill, I would go higher up the wall.

Babubhat 10-25-2021 11:15 AM

You need to check if other Wi-Fi is in the area. Use free analyzer and change the channel to empty one. Don’t use auto pick for channel.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...ot:overviewtab

Road-Runner 10-25-2021 11:39 AM

We recently switched from Spectrum to Xfinity and less than a month later swapped the Xfinity modem/router for a much higher rated Netgear unit. So far no issues, but we haven't set up a TV yet on the lanai so could run into the same issues as you're experiencing. On the plus side I'll quickly pay for the new router with the $14+/month savings not using their hardware.

Michael G. 10-25-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

It happens when watching live sports, 15 times during the Packer game.

Heaven forbid this happening during our Packer games.
All activity's outside our house are cancelled when the packers play.

We been fortunate to get all 7 Packer games so far with Xfinity cable using our
own modem bought on Amazon.

Go Packer

Skip 10-25-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

I have my Xfinity Modem/Router sitting outside my TV cabinet in my family room.

Download a WiFi app (like SpeedTest or WiFi Analyzer ) on you smart phone and stand next to your lanai TV (turned off).
You want to be on the 5.0 GHz frequency not the 2.4 GHz. Then pick a channel your neighbor is NOT ON. I like Ch. 161.
Move your Modem/Router 5 feet from any electronic device, like computer or TV.
Run a test or two. Make sure you get NO LOSS at different times during the day. If you have LOSS, then you may have bad cable splitters in your house. Don't use cheap splitters. Noise on the line will make your TV drop the WiFi connection for a while. Interference from your neighbor(s) on the same channel will do the same.
I took out 3 splitters in my home and now run everything off WiFi 5.0 GHz. Handles 5 devices at once including 4K TVs.

Good luck...
Skip

Babubhat 10-25-2021 04:04 PM

How to Change Your Home Network's WiFi Channel Selection or Mode - Xfinity Support

Channel 1 6 an 12 are most frequent on 2.4 frequency . Try 4 or 9

Don’t let xfinity pick the channel (auto mode)

retiredguy123 10-25-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babubhat (Post 2021430)
How to Change Your Home Network's WiFi Channel Selection or Mode - Xfinity Support

Channel 1 6 an 12 are most frequent on 2.4 frequency . Try 4 or 9

Don’t let xfinity pick the channel (auto mode)

The OP said that there is no problem getting a wifi signal in the lanai where the TV is located. So, how is changing the channel going to help? The problem seems to be with the TV's wireless adapter.

Babubhat 10-25-2021 05:41 PM

Try it. Interference can make a difference. Worked for my lanai. The auto channel mode stinks. Constantly changing on a Roku. Not stable

Nucky 10-25-2021 06:53 PM

ON ROKU - Setting - System -System Update - System Restart.

I have the latest and greatest Modem from Xfinity and still one TV that is 20 feet from the Modem needs this treatment every day. If you need more help and have Roku, I will help you.

Once I complete this routine that TV works flawlessly. It's a 50 or 55 inch Sharp.

Northwoods 10-25-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2021345)
Heaven forbid this happening during our Packer games.
All activity's outside our house are cancelled when the packers play.

We been fortunate to get all 7 Packer games so far with Xfinity cable using our
own modem bought on Amazon.

Go Packer

Totally agree. Go Packers!!!

togabill 10-26-2021 06:02 AM

Which Netgear did you decide on for an update? Mine is getting too old to keep up.

Earlride 10-26-2021 06:20 AM

wifi connection

I have Amazon Alexa's all over my house. The only place that it does not work is the Lanai. I am guessing it is the wire mesh inside the concrete. Probably the same thing you are seeing