Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   AED Collection Guilt (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/aed-collection-guilt-348921/)

TVTVTV 03-29-2024 12:38 PM

AED Collection Guilt

1 Attachment(s)
There has been recent discussions about Villages AED programs; pros and cons, why some choose to give and reasons some don't.

However, on a Village FB post today this "chart of guilt" was posted for the neighborhood to gossip about. WOW. Unbelievable that specific streets and percentages are posted. It's not (or shouldn't be) everyone's business. Way to go - very unprofessional and great for neighborhood comraderie.

Shipping up to Boston 03-29-2024 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVTVTV (Post 2316783)
There has been recent discussions about Villages AED programs; pros and cons, why some choose to give and reasons some don't.

However, on a Village FB post today this "chart of guilt" was posted for the neighborhood to gossip about. WOW. Unbelievable that specific streets and percentages are posted. It's not (or shouldn't be) everyone's business. Way to go - very unprofessional and great for neighborhood comraderie.

It appears Zone 6 may have slower than expected response times! ;)

Not on FB but would think if gossip was the concern, why feed into it and blast your frustration on a medium (TOTV) with 100K subscribers? Don’t let that bad guys win!

Bill14564 03-29-2024 12:57 PM

Quote:

That certainly would have an impact on my willingness to donate.

Two Bills 03-29-2024 01:35 PM

Seeing something like those figures being bandied about, I would refuse to contribute on principal.
Shame posting is the bane of social media.

Kenswing 03-29-2024 02:01 PM

So you’re shaming the shamers? :1rotfl:

rustyp 03-29-2024 03:03 PM

Quote:

I say this chart backfires. Reading the data it reveals much less than 50% of the entire village of St Johns is not willing to donate. Thus I would not feel shamed about not donating. Besides how would a neighbor know if I have a DNR ?

Shipping up to Boston 03-29-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 2316808)
I say this chart backfires. Reading the data it reveals much less than 50% of the entire village of St Johns is not willing to donate. Thus I would not feel shamed about not donating. Besides how would a neighbor know if I have a DNR ?

I just think it’s funny...neighbors walking out the door looking at each other like “I wonder if she did....bet he didn’t...”. The more I look at the chart the more I think the point of it is the overall popularity and acceptance of the program. Like previous poster stated, it’s close to 50%. Plus it’s only by neighborhoods and streets within....no names. Sounds like the organizers are just taking a victory lap that they got to that threshold. Of course on this forum, I’m not surprised by the victim mentality....TOTV paranoia!

Stu from NYC 03-29-2024 03:53 PM

It was done in our neighborhood in a much nicer way and we reached our goal

billethkid 03-29-2024 05:20 PM

Curse of the day?
Cowards behind keyboards creating chaos with no validation or verification that is then taken as gospel by way too many sheeple!

JMintzer 03-29-2024 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2316817)
I just think it’s funny...neighbors walking out the door looking at each other like “I wonder if she did....bet he didn’t...”. The more I look at the chart the more I think the point of it is the overall popularity and acceptance of the program. Like previous poster stated, it’s close to 50%. Plus it’s only by neighborhoods and streets within....no names. Sounds like the organizers are just taking a victory lap that they got to that threshold. Of course on this forum, I’m not surprised by the victim mentality....TOTV paranoia!

I would think most neighborhoods have no more than a 50% participation rate... (no facts to back up that opinion...)

And I'm sure everyone walks around, all day, thinking "I wonder if those people paid?"

https://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...m8qco1_400.gif

Shipping up to Boston 03-29-2024 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 2316873)
I would think most neighborhoods have no more than a 50% participation rate... (no facts to back up that opinion...)

And I'm sure everyone walks around, all day, thinking "I wonder if those people paid?"

https://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...m8qco1_400.gif

There are cities and towns in New England where some reside on private ways. They pay same taxes etc....yet if they need their street resurfaced, they need a majority of the neighbors to sign a petition as well as pay the equal amount for the cost of the work. It’s not mandatory, just the majority. That creates animosity and division in a neighborhood. This is tame in comparison

JMintzer 03-29-2024 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2316879)
There are cities and towns in New England where some reside on private ways. They pay same taxes etc....yet if they need their street resurfaced, they need a majority of the neighbors to sign a petition as well as pay the equal amount for the cost of the work. It’s not mandatory, just the majority. That creates animosity and division in a neighborhood. This is tame in comparison

In that case, the info is public, so I can see that happening...

I've not heard of any neighborhood publishing a list of names for the AED programs...

Our neighborhood has a yearly dance to support the program.

We've not been in TV when they have the dance. But at an earlier monthly event, they were selling tickets to the dance. At check in for the event, I was asked if I wanted to buy tickets. I asked "How much?" I think it was $20 per person. I gave them a $50. They were about to give me change and I told them we wouldn't be there, to just use the money for the program.

They were a bit surprised, but thanked me and told me they hoped we could make the next one...

I think it's an important program. I hope I never need it, but I do plan to become a volunteer when I become a Frog, as I've been certified on both CPR and AED forever...

Shipping up to Boston 03-29-2024 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 2316890)
In that case, the info is public, so I can see that happening...

I've not heard of any neighborhood publishing a list of names for the AED programs...

Our neighborhood has a yearly dance to support the program.

We've not been in TV when they have the dance. But at an earlier monthly event, they were selling tickets to the dance. At check in for the event, I was asked if I wanted to buy tickets. I asked "How much?" I think it was $20 per person. I gave them a $50. They were about to give me change and I told them we wouldn't be there, to just use the money for the program.

They were a bit surprised, but thanked me and told me they hoped we could make the next one...

I think it's an important program. I hope I never need it, but I do plan to become a volunteer when I become a Frog, as I've been certified on both CPR and AED forever...

Wait...I thought I read the chart, it was streets only , right? They released names?

JMintzer 03-29-2024 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2316892)
Wait...I thought I read the chart, it was streets only , right? They released names?

No, no, no.. I was replying to the "Petition" you mention...

You must actually sign your name, so that info is public...

Velvet 03-29-2024 06:20 PM

I think trying to “shame” people into doing anything is pretty low. I wouldn’t do that to our lovely street. It would definitely divide our community. Even those who planned to give, wouldn’t.