Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   2018 Yamaha QT Battery Replacement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/2018-yamaha-qt-battery-replacement-345548/)

Laker14 11-18-2023 06:04 AM

2018 Yamaha QT Battery Replacement

I bought my '18 Yamaha
Quiet Tech in Feb. of '19. Hard to believe, but it will be 5 years old this winter.

Should I consider replacing the starter battery now, rather than wait until it starts giving me trouble?

If so, what should I replace it with?

dewilson58 11-18-2023 06:33 AM

For stress free operation.........yes.

Otherwise, jus keep an eye on your gauge.

It will be a slow death.

Confirm it's charging at ~14 volts.

In the morning before you head out.........ignition on, should have +11.8 volts.

Since we are not in the middle of an Iowa winter, you can go run on the lower range.

mrf0151 11-18-2023 09:15 AM

Just replace it. Whether it be your golf cart or car/truck, you are on borrowed time at 4 years and beyond. Getting stranded is never fun.

tophcfa 11-18-2023 09:32 AM

If you have a multi meter or other gauge follow dewi’s advice in post #2. The battery typically won’t just die if you are using the cart daily. Instead you will notice an acceleration lag when starting out from a full stop. Batteries can last anywhere from 3 - 7 years, but once you notice the acceleration lag it’s best to replace it. In general, batteries last longer for full timers that use their carts daily. Snowbirds batteries tend to die faster. Leaving a cart unused in a hot garage for months is hard on a battery, especially if not left on a trickle charger. To replace, just remove it and bring to a place like O’reillys or Autozone and they will get you an appropriate replacement and there is a core charge discount for the old battery. Also, put some battery terminal protection grease on the new batteries terminals before hooking it up. Lastly, I think it’s a little tricky to get the battery out of a quiet tech, it requires removing a side panel to get easier access. Check your owners manual for instructions. Best of luck.

Bill14564 11-18-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2275632)
For stress free operation.........yes.

Otherwise, jus keep an eye on your gauge.

It will be a slow death.

Confirm it's charging at ~14 volts.

In the morning before you head out.........ignition on, should have +11.8 volts.

Since we are not in the middle of an Iowa winter, you can go run on the lower range.

I don't have a gauge but I could occasionally check with a meter. I don't know if my engine light might sense voltage for me.

Wouldn't it die a slow death where you would notice more sluggish starting over time?

dewilson58 11-18-2023 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2275683)
If you have a multi meter or other gauge follow dewi’s advice in post #2. The battery typically won’t just die if you are using the cart daily. Instead you will notice an acceleration lag when starting out from a full stop. Batteries can last anywhere from 3 - 7 years, but once you notice the acceleration lag it’s best to replace it. In general, batteries last longer for full timers that use their carts daily. Snowbirds batteries tend to die faster. Leaving a cart unused in a hot garage for months is hard on a battery, especially if not left on a trickle charger. To replace, just remove it and bring to a place like O’reillys or Autozone and they will get you an appropriate replacement and there is a core charge discount for the old battery. Also, put some battery terminal protection grease on the new batteries terminals before hooking it up. Lastly, I think it’s a little tricky to get the battery out of a quiet tech, it requires removing a side panel to get easier access. Check your owners manual for instructions. Best of luck.

OP.....on your 2018, there is a protective heat shield next to the battery which you will need to remove. No biggie, just some flexible finders. Always do it when the engine is cool........saves some burning.

Topspinmo 11-18-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 2275629)
I bought my '18 Yamaha
Quiet Tech in Feb. of '19. Hard to believe, but it will be 5 years old this winter.

Should I consider replacing the starter battery now, rather than wait until it starts giving me trouble?

Why guess? Just buy battery analyzer like ANCEL BST200. Now you know. Usually battery going bad will show signs like different sound in cranking or hesitation then crank slowly to lights dimming when engine at low rpm. Heat here in Florida kills most battery’s in 4 or 5 years what I experienced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kDc8gAypW4

villagetinker 11-18-2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2275684)
I don't have a gauge but I could occasionally check with a meter. I don't know if my engine light might sense voltage for me.

Wouldn't it die a slow death where you would notice more sluggish starting over time?

If I recall correctly, you will see a code 46 on the red light if the battery starts to fail, but I would not rely on this.

Also, you will notice the cart will be a little slow to start as the battery fails. Ours failed while my wife was golfing, I was able to carefully jump it and get it home.

The battery replacement can be a little tricky, as noted above the heat shield is in the way. Make sure you note the location of the positive and negative terminals, it avoids having to remove the new battery and turning it around.

If you cannot replace this yourself, there are several golf cart services that can do this, but I would try to get the old one out and replaced the get the core charge (around $40).

Minoletti 11-19-2023 06:16 AM

rural king has great prices on batteries

dolphin 11-19-2023 07:46 AM

Quote:

I bought my '18 Yamaha

Off course. That battery owes you nothing!

Gunny2403 11-19-2023 07:59 AM

In my opinion, yes. My 2018 died but thankfully in my driveway. The Villages Golf Cart outlet picked it up and replaced the battery

LeRoySmith 11-19-2023 08:04 AM

I'd swap it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrf0151 (Post 2275678)
Just replace it. Whether it be your golf cart or car/truck, you are on borrowed time at 4 years and beyond. Getting stranded is never fun.

I tend to agree in this case.

I'm not normally one to throw parts at something but this is one of those instances where you know it will fail at some point in the near future, is getting that extra few months of use worth the hassle of having to jump and change it on the batteries schedule rather than yours?

All that said batteries have been lasting much longer than they used too. 40 years ago 3 years was about the max you could expect out of a battery but I've seen quite a few 7 or 8 year old batteries still going lately.

Wow. Talk about contacting myself.... Naw, I'd still swap it out pretty soon.

Steve 11-19-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

I bought my '18 Yamaha

What should you replace it with? How about...another battery!

jarodrig 11-19-2023 09:21 AM

I agree with the others that have suggested to replace it NOW !

The battery in my 2019 Yamaha QT just died two weeks ago . NO warning of any kind . I jumped in the cart to head out for golf and the battery was dead ! Got the replacement from O’Reilly’s .

I was playing Gray Fox so I was able to rent a cart and swapped out the battery after golf.

sloanst 11-19-2023 10:26 AM

It will go dead and strand you. That will be the first time is shows trouble.